Busted!!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Busted!!!

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:03 am

Mathewshooter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:I also dont know about setting up at the bottom of a hill that the deer are going to be climbing
He gets 15 yards from me and looks right up at me.
2 things I noticed (dropping thermal) on trail where deer were climbing but it was early still so were you going to move stand for thermal later on? and you were 15 yards from him how come you didn't put one right down that wind pipe that's a deadly shot and it was the right distance. that would have been my reaction if you don't ethically take shots like that I understand and I'm not being judgmental.

I dont think thermals were in play here as the wind was blowing towards 3 o clock and he was at the 12 o clock position. It was a pretty steady breeze too. Ive never taken a head on shot at a deer and didnt want to chance it, especially on a buck like that. I did have a few guys at camp say thats a deadly shot after the fact....as long as you get it between the shoulders. At that distance it would have been a chip shot.

roger that on thermals. I've been their more than once with the frontals I practice for them now and have killed three deer that way it saved my buddies ohio hunt this year he took home a nice 135 in buck his was same as you except for a scrape instead of apples. i practice on a 3d year round out of a stand in my back yard just for weird angles now. i think its something that has to be mentally prepared for the whole time I'm drawn on a deer now I'm looking for that pocket to slip an arrow in.

The hill was not a real big hill either. I'd post pics if I could figure it out!
postimg.org their is a whole thread on it . and all hills will have a thermal draw even if they are 5 foot tall. its way less naturally but its still their I think Dan talks about it in one of his bedding dvds. you are right with the deer looking up on the hill I've been( BUSTED!!!) more times than id like to admit. and getting low does not help the point either cuz then your eye level with them either get low and super high or try and cut to side but then you will be presented with a broad side shot while they are going up hill pushing their shoulders back over the vitals more.

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:07 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:I also dont know about setting up at the bottom of a hill that the deer are going to be climbing
2 things I noticed (dropping thermal) on trail where deer were climbing but it was early still so were you going to move stand for thermal later on? and you were 15 yards from him how come you didn't put one right down that wind pipe that's a deadly shot and it was the right distance. that would have been my reaction if you don't ethically take shots like that I understand and I'm not being judgmental.

I dont think thermals were in play here as the wind was blowing towards 3 o clock and he was at the 12 o clock position. It was a pretty steady breeze too. Ive never taken a head on shot at a deer and didnt want to chance it, especially on a buck like that. I did have a few guys at camp say thats a deadly shot after the fact....as long as you get it between the shoulders. At that distance it would have been a chip shot.

roger that on thermals. I've been their more than once with the frontals I practice for them now and have killed three deer that way it saved my buddies ohio hunt this year he took home a nice 135 in buck his was same as you except for a scrape instead of apples. i practice on a 3d year round out of a stand in my back yard just for weird angles now. i think its something that has to be mentally prepared for the whole time I'm drawn on a deer now I'm looking for that pocket to slip an arrow in.

The hill was not a real big hill either. I'd post pics if I could figure it out!
postimg.org their is a whole thread on it . and all hills will have a thermal draw even if they are 5 foot tall. its way less naturally but its still their I think Dan talks about it in one of his bedding dvds. you are right with the deer looking up on the hill I've been( BUSTED!!!) more times than id like to admit. and getting low does not help the point either cuz then your eye level with them either get low and super high or try and cut to side but then you will be presented with a broad side shot while they are going up hill pushing their shoulders back over the vitals more.

a lot of times when they get to top they will pause and have a look. giving you a naturally presented quartering away shot and their ears will be focused forward slowing their reaction time too your arrow going off.
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:19 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

This is a view of my stand from where the buck was standing. The road is another 40-50 yards past the top of the hill

url=https://postimg.org/image/tecct0c0d/]Image[/url]

I take my Bowhunting seriously
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:42 am

Mathewshooter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

This is a view of my stand from where the buck was standing. The road is another 40-50 yards past the top of the hill

you look a little low right their maybe set up in the beaches to left of pic so you can shoot under the apple trees better and do you see how tall the pines are and how low the apples are that's going to make the wind spin their could be why the buck walked that way I would either catch him coming into apples or just back off that edge line.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:47 am

I like that spot I bet you get scrapes their. it reminds me of a spot I hunted in NY where I got my first NY bow buck
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:50 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

you look a little low right their maybe set up in the beaches to left of pic so you can shoot under the apple trees better and do you see how tall the pines are and how low the apples are that's going to make the wind spin their could be why the buck walked that way I would either catch him coming into apples or just back off that edge line.

Those arent apples to the right of the picture, they're some sort of dark little berry tree. I plan to move my stand where I can shoot to one of the Apple trees for next year...probably the one closest to the thicket.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:54 am

Mathewshooter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

Those arent apples to the right of the picture, they're some sort of dark little berry tree. I plan to move my stand where I can shoot to one of the Apple trees for next year...probably the one closest to the thicket.

are you up by norwitch east forsalya oxford area man that woods looks so close to where I used to hunt
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:56 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

are you up by norwitch east forsalya oxford area man that woods looks so close to where I used to hunt

No....but a lot of public land around here looks the same. It seems the state had a pine planting fetish 50 years ago lol.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:02 am

Mathewshooter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
Mathewshooter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

No....but a lot of public land around here looks the same. It seems the state had a pine planting fetish 50 years ago lol.

that all used to be farm back in the day you have some good pinches with the stone walls and random apple orchards everyplace their are some giants up their.Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”