Scent Crusher Products Effective?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
checkerfred
500 Club

Re: Scent Crusher Products Effective?

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:30 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:
Southern Man wrote:What if deer in your area are used to smelling the smells you are getting rid of? Will the absense of those smells make them more wary? :mrgreen:

Based on the information I gathered from bowhunter15's podcast on ozone, that isn't really how it works. The person they interview explains that ozone acts sort of like a nose jammer where they suddenly cannot smell. He describes it as the deer getting temporarily blinded since their nose is their best sense. If this is true I would think a deer wouldn't like it at all! Especially where I hunt on public. Our deer don't run into people often and are very wary of anything foreign.

If it does do that you’d think they’d make it illegal. For example here it’s illegal to use the aid of smoke or chemicals for this exact reason.

I know it does remove smells though. I have a small model that I’ve use to neutralize a room with a dead mouse in the wall. Also used it in the truck

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:34 am

checkerfred wrote:
Southern Man wrote:What if deer in your area are used to smelling the smells you are getting rid of? Will the absense of those smells make them more wary? :mrgreen:

Based on the information I gathered from bowhunter15's podcast on ozone, that isn't really how it works. The person they interview explains that ozone acts sort of like a nose jammer where they suddenly cannot smell. He describes it as the deer getting temporarily blinded since their nose is their best sense. If this is true I would think a deer wouldn't like it at all! Especially where I hunt on public. Our deer don't run into people often and are very wary of anything foreign.

If it does do that you’d think they’d make it illegal. For example here it’s illegal to use the aid of smoke or chemicals for this exact reason.

I know it does remove smells though. I have a small model that I’ve use to neutralize a room with a dead mouse in the wall. Also used it in the truck

It's definitely an interested podcast to listen to. There is an abundance of technical talk about what ozone is and it's uses out of hunting.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:56 pm

checkerfred wrote:

It's definitely an interested podcast to listen to. There is an abundance of technical talk about what ozone is and it's uses out of hunting.

its also used too clean water
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:13 pm

^^^^^yep they mentioned in the podcast that ozone is used for cleaning water ;)
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:15 pm

That’s crazy. I’ll have To go listen to it when I get a chance.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:43 pm

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:^^^^^yep they mentioned in the podcast that ozone is used for cleaning water ;)

You should go look up the cryptosporidium outbreak in Milwaukee. Think it was in 93. Big advances in water cleaning after that. Nothing like 300,000+ people in the city with the runs for 2 weeks at a time. They made a lot of changes since then

Ozone is good stuff for what it’s used for.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:12 am

Dude from work bought the bag and the car plugin.
He put his work boots in the bag and it actually took the smell away. But I won't bye one I think it has a purpose but wouldn't rely on it as my only form of scent control.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:37 am

JAK wrote:Dude from work bought the bag and the car plugin.
He put his work boots in the bag and it actually took the smell away. But I won't bye one I think it has a purpose but wouldn't rely on it as my only form of scent control.

Oh it works. I know it works. But it leaves an odd smell after use at least i picked up on it. It was like a plastic
Smell. Its just an unnatural odor it wasnt real strong but it was there. Besides all that stuff its emmitting back into the air is supposedly super cancer causing so no thanks lol. I like to live another 30 years st least. I know i know everything gives us cancer but im not gonna help the process at all lol
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:46 am

Cancer causing? Where did anyone get that information/misinformation from? I've been monitoring ambient ozone as a profession for the last 18 years and that's the first time I've heard that claim. It is a respiratory irritant and is regulated as a health risk to high risk groups. Having an ozone generator in a ground blind seems like a bad idea to me no matter how you look at it. It does degrade elastic types of materials and will ruin some clothing and equipment with prolonged use.

I know that ozone is chemically a highly reactive molecule and will indeed consume odors. I also know that it takes a of a lot of it to cover a humans scent in close proximity to a deer. I also know that it has an odor of its own. It can be apparent after a lightening strike or when someone is welding. Almost smells like hot electronics. I know a deer can smell it if I can and it is a naturally occurring odor but doesn't occur that often. How a deer will or will not react is still up for debate. IMO save your money, use your head, and just stay down wind of deer.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:00 am

Grizzlyadam wrote:Cancer causing? Where did anyone get that information/misinformation from? I've been monitoring ambient ozone as a profession for the last 18 years and that's the first time I've heard that claim. It is a respiratory irritant and is regulated as a health risk to high risk groups. Having an ozone generator in a ground blind seems like a bad idea to me no matter how you look at it. It does degrade elastic types of materials and will ruin some clothing and equipment with prolonged use.

I know that ozone is chemically a highly reactive molecule and will indeed consume odors. I also know that it takes a of a lot of it to cover a humans scent in close proximity to a deer. I also know that it has an odor of its own. It can be apparent after a lightening strike or when someone is welding. Almost smells like hot electronics. I know a deer can smell it if I can and it is a naturally occurring odor but doesn't occur that often. How a deer will or will not react is still up for debate. IMO save your money, use your head, and just stay down wind of deer.

I agree griz but i read the cancer information of a few sites awhile ago
And after a conversation with a friend of mine who is a mortitian ( undertaker ). Deals with all kids of scent elimination products and gadgets and has For years. So i dont think i was misinformed just warned we dont know enough about it to be safe to breathe.its almost like vaping everyone says its safer than cigarettes but nobody can prove it I respect your studies but you yourself stated the odor smells. I think welding or lightning strikes ? And you also stated that whatever it emits is respiratory irritant so thats a huge red flag Too me.you wont see any of those warnings on tv about the respitory or cancer causin stuff it emits
But hey please no offens your the expert on it. You should know all the years you e been studying this stuff
Thnks for the info bro. Keep us updated on what you find out more on these products
Hangandbang

Unread postby Hangandbang » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:06 pm

I have been using ozone for around 4 years. In my opinion it helps. I feel I get detected a lot less. I use a small unit (Whitetail'r) treating my hunting gear, towels etc. I also have a set of clothes for wearing to the field that I change out of that are treated prior to heading to my stand. Prior to using ozone I always showered and washed clothing in odorless detergent along with the same routine of separate clothes for traveling to the field. I have not heard a deer blowing etc since starting ozone use. No form of scent control will completely remove your human signature, however in my opinion it can be reduced. In my opinion it works well, but I'm not an expert.
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:21 pm

My brother buys into some of these scent elimination products. He bought me the vehicle plug in unit for Christmas, so I gave it a try to see if it would take the smell out of my truck. Personally , the only thing that I noticed was the smell of the unit. I didn't notice that it really cleaned up any smells from my truck. My wife got in and said take that thing out, it smells weird and is giving me a headache. Haven't used it since. It was a nice gesture on his part, but I wish he would've just saved his money.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:18 am

Ozone is an oxidizer, you shouldn't breathe in heavy amounts of ozone. I haven't heard it was cancerous till this thread. Everything causes cancer so I wouldn't be surprised if it did, just haven't seen the study. Mildew also causes respiratory problems and health problems, so... There's that.

Ozone will also degrade elastic and rubber at a fast rate so keep that in mind. Ozone is good at removing odors, but yes it's more like replacing odors at times. It can take clothes from funky to smelling like ozone. It works at removing odors in mildew smells rooms and from clothing IMO.

Those car ozone machines have been around longer than they have been marketed to hunters. My mom gave me one to try and I've had one in my truck for 3 years. I don't run it often but if I notice an odor I plug it in. She said it should help to keep my truck smelling fresh. Do I think it helps with deer hunting? No. But, It does keep my truck from smelling like wet funk though.

I sometimes ride with a hunting buddy a few times a season. His truck reeks, he's got an old truck and fresh dip cups always at the ready. When I get home my hunting clothes smell like his truck seats. I don't care enough to not ride with my friend. He kills a few nice bucks every season and I've seen and killed deer on trips riding in his truck too.

Ozone isn't a game changer for me. I am like the hunters before me, I have and will continue to kill deer regardless of products. If it's not a game changer is it a gimmick? It's not a useless product, but It's a gimmick if it doesn't do its intended purpose.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:40 am

blackwidow wrote:My brother buys into some of these scent elimination products. He bought me the vehicle plug in unit for Christmas, so I gave it a try to see if it would take the smell out of my truck. Personally , the only thing that I noticed was the smell of the unit. I didn't notice that it really cleaned up any smells from my truck. My wife got in and said take that thing out, it smells weird and is giving me a headache. Haven't used it since. It was a nice gesture on his part, but I wish he would've just saved his money.

Ive stated this odd odor in earlier post it leaves almost a plastic smell. Definately a chemical like or industrial unnatural smell.
dewayne

Unread postby dewayne » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:51 am

I don’t use products such as ozonics, scent crusher, or anything else because I feel that it is a gimmick and doesn’t work despite having science to back it up. Now, not that I am totally against scent control as I do use things like unscented soaps and detergents. I do not think these products work 100% either, however, I do prefer to go to my stand not smelling like an Irish spring or mountain blast.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”