Navigation and Cyber Scouting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dpierce72
500 Club

Navigation and Cyber Scouting

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:31 am

Hey gang,

Being new to the site, I haven't contributed anything yet but I have asked several questions. I came across a site that seems pretty cool. It allows you to compare caltopo/satellite maps side by side.

I searched The Beast forum and since the site didn't come up in my search, I thought I'd share. If this is old news feel free to keep scrolling.

According to the site, Link to Hillmap.com

- the best backcountry mapping app on the web. It combines a selection of the highest quality topographic maps available with data and analysis useful for people who travel far from the beaten path.

For me, I like being able to see the topo version and image side by side at the same scale and using the 'points' button at the top really helps you hone in and see the same thing ...but differently ...at the same time.

Clearly, once you find some areas you'll need to get to a map with more definition, but to me this seems like it could be a great place to start.
Last edited by Dpierce72 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: Navigation and Cyber Scouting

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:35 am

Awesome thanks im gonna check it out
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:36 am

Thanks for sharing. Dan and some others prefer Hill Map as well. I personally like it more overlayed. Caltopo is my favorite. There is a way to overlay topo lines onto Google Earth but im not savy enough to pull that off.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:47 am

Darkknight54 wrote:Thanks for sharing. Dan and some others prefer Hill Map as well. I personally like it more overlayed. Caltopo is my favorite. There is a way to overlay topo lines onto Google Earth but im not savy enough to pull that off.

Im the same way alot of these apps and programs coming out you need to be smart as steven hawking to figure out technology really annoys me

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”