When mobile hunting an area you haven’t scouted what is most important sign to look for?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckshot20
500 Club

Re: When mobile hunting an area you haven’t scouted what is most important sign to look for?

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:26 pm

Big tracks leading to or from suspected bedding
tgreeno
500 Club

Re: When mobile hunting an area you haven’t scouted what is most important sign to look for?

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:12 pm

Buckshot20 wrote:Big tracks leading to or from suspected bedding

X2...Also fresh high rubs, fresh scrapes & large well used beds.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:39 pm

I start off on topo maps and search for trails old logging roads parking areas then from their I look for the hardest to access areas. they don't have to be far. just a nasty swamp or extremely steep area where most people wont go. then I pick the one with best terrain for pinch points and bedding. normal beast stuff then I check the best looking areas first. I look for historic sign I want every tree scared over something to tell me that this is a place that will hold alot of bucks. if it does not have sigh from big bucks. I move on my first couple trips I really like to get a feel for the land. depending on time of year I hunt it I look for does bedding. theirs really not just a single thing you can look for you have to look at the big picture food beds acorns cover winter cover will the deer hold hear year round or just seasonal where are water sources everything. Then I don't really jump right in I use it as my science project. ill throw observation stands and a bunch of cameras at it. wright down notes and make sketch's note direction of travel on rub lines I like to draw in every deer trail and expected travel directions on a topo map. I will basically sweep the whole area over two or three weekends. the whole forest is one giant living creature and figuring out how it moves is key once you understand the flow of things you can really target in on specific animals.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:44 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:I start off on topo maps and search for trails old logging roads parking areas then from their I look for the hardest to access areas. they don't have to be far. just a nasty swamp or extremely steep area where most people wont go. then I pick the one with best terrain for pinch points and bedding. normal beast stuff then I check the best looking areas first. I look for historic sign I want every tree scared over something to tell me that this is a place that will hold alot of bucks. if it does not have sigh from big bucks. I move on my first couple trips I really like to get a feel for the land. depending on time of year I hunt it I look for does bedding. theirs really not just a single thing you can look for you have to look at the big picture food beds acorns cover winter cover will the deer hold hear year round or just seasonal where are water sources everything. Then I don't really jump right in I use it as my science project. ill throw observation stands and a bunch of cameras at it. wright down notes and make sketch's note direction of travel on rub lines I like to draw in every deer trail and expected travel directions on a topo map. I will basically sweep the whole area over two or three weekends. the whole forest is one giant living creature and figuring out how it moves is key once you understand the flow of things you can really target in on specific animals.
wow just sent that and realized mobile hunting is not with a phone lol that's tells me it getting late and its time to get of the internet. :think:
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:12 am

Cut and dry
Any sign associated or in close proximity of bedding
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:54 am

I had some pretty good success this season scouting with stand on back. I found some fairly fresh rubs on a marsh transition and figured he was bedded towards the point, so I set up about 15 feet back in a pine thicket and about 12 ft high using tree cover. The rubs still had sap oozing from the pines he hit and the small trees were still green where he rubbed them. He wasn’t bedded towards the point he was bedded behind me and to my left where he came out which is funny cause the wind blew that direction for 2 hrs until the wind died at 1700. 1725 he walked out and took his last breath.
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:10 am

jporcello wrote:I had some pretty good success this season scouting with stand on back. I found some fairly fresh rubs on a marsh transition and figured he was bedded towards the point, so I set up about 15 feet back in a pine thicket and about 12 ft high using tree cover. The rubs still had sap oozing from the pines he hit and the small trees were still green where he rubbed them. He wasn’t bedded towards the point he was bedded behind me and to my left where he came out which is funny cause the wind blew that direction for 2 hrs until the wind died at 1700. 1725 he walked out and took his last breath.

Awesome story bro. Great job
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:12 am

The fastest way to locate bucks is figuring out how humans are using the area.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:14 am

Agreed
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:02 am

if it's a brand new spot I've never been to before the first thing I'm gonna do is stop and stare at an aerial for 10 minutes or so. I'm gonna try to imagine first where others setup and how they access. Next, I'm gonna try to find a way to be original. Remember, This is first of all a running and gunning kill mission. Stay aggressive, Scout as you go but that isn't the objective if you are actively hunting.

I could go on and on but simply put, If I'm walking in blind I want the area to have some food or browse, be fairly thick and I want to see fresh tracks and fresh poop. Then I would have plenty of confidence to set up and hunt.

If I bump deer I watch which way they ran, their reaction, and often I will setup right there and see if they return within 2-3 hours.

While sitting there, try to imagine how deer would use the area. Question yourself, Is the sign your hunting over nighttime sign? If I don't see deer within 3-4 hours I make a move. Creep closer into projected bedding. When I sit there I will usually pick another tree 80-100 yards away. Keep it moving till you get it figured out.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:05 am

Darkknight54 wrote:The fastest way to locate bucks is figuring out how humans are using the area.

Thing 1 and

Thing 2
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:08 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:if it's a brand new spot I've never been to before the first thing I'm gonna do is stop and stare at an aerial for 10 minutes or so. I'm gonna try to imagine first where others setup and how they access. Next, I'm gonna try to find a way to be original. Remember, This is first of all a running and gunning kill mission. Stay aggressive, Scout as you go but that isn't the objective if you are actively hunting.

I could go on and on but simply put, If I'm walking in blind I want the area to have some food or browse, be fairly thick and I want to see fresh tracks and fresh poop. Then I would have plenty of confidence to set up and hunt.

If I bump deer I watch which way they ran, their reaction, and often I will setup right there and see if they return within 2-3 hours.

While sitting there, try to imagine how deer would use the area. Question yourself, Is the sign your hunting over nighttime sign? If I don't see deer within 3-4 hours I make a move. Creep closer into projected bedding. When I sit there I will usually pick another tree 80-100 yards away. Keep it moving till you get it figured out.

I love this advice bro its awesome thnks
Jon308

Unread postby Jon308 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:20 am

Thanks for the advice new to the beast trying to figure out this bedding and hunting mobile stuff . I did get a buck Mobile hunting OTG , came with in 10 yards pretty cool.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:59 am

1. bedding with buck sign
2. closest terrain/topo feature where multiple trails/tracks/cover types/terrain come together with the right wind.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”