Hunting The Adirondacks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Hunting The Adirondacks

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:37 am

this thread is for tips tactics photos stories and anything related to hunting in the dacks so post em up and start asking questions.

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Hunting The Adirondacks

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:09 am

ImageImageImage Hunting the Dacks is not about killing but the comradery and the jurney to get their. Its about setting foot in places nobody has walked on in a 100 years. Hears some photos from the day long canoe potage to our camp 7 miles in.
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:15 am

I took my first buck ever this year. Got him with my .306 on a cold morning up in the 'Dacks, 11/11/2017. 8 degrees when I left the car at 0430 to head out to my set about a mile into the woods. I was moving very slowly, being careful not to sweat. Had to stop and set up halfway there because I could tell gray light was happening. I heard a lot of movement between gray light and 0800, but never actually saw any deer. Then I picked up and moved the rest of the way in. I set up a little ground blind and sat down, situated in a saddle on the North-facing side of a large finger ridge that runs NE to SW, in a mature Beech stand. I had high hopes for the morning, knowing deer would gravitate toward this location on such a cold day.

Now with the sun up it was a hearty 15 degrees. After a short 15 minute wait I heard the tell-tale sounds of a deer coming about 80 yards over my left shoulder. I scoped the deer and sure enough it was a buck; a very nice 6 point! I took aim for the head and went through my shot sequence. He twitched once and expired. My thinking in aiming for the head - to preserve all the meat - proved to be true. Unfortunately, however, the bullet went in one eye and out the other, absolutely destroying the skull in the process. The antlers came off with a twist. No hope of a shoulder mount, which I had planned for my first buck. Oh well.

This is my first picture of a buck I ever got up in the 'Dacks. I set the camera up in April 2017 on a trail in a pinch point where I knew there to be deer movement. I just retrieved the camera two weekends ago. Unfortunately the area will not be worth hunting as I had originally thought, since this was the only buck I saw on the camera, and I only got pictures of him on one day. Never saw him again.

My #1 goal for 2018 is to kill an elk with my bow. My #2 goal is to get a deer, I don't care if it's a doe or buck, up in the 'Dacks, with my bow, from the ground. I think that's a tall order. But I've killed three deer now and I even got my first bow kill in 2017. So now I have the confidence to know I can seal the deal when I get the opportunity, which up in the 'Dacks will probably take multiple seasons. I've recently learned that the public access where I'm hunting is much, much larger than I had thought. There are several large areas that have been logged in the past 5 years. I plan to scout those immediately this Spring as soon as the snow is mostly gone.

Good luck to everyone with their scouting this Spring!
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:16 am

ghoasthunter wrote:ImageImageImage Hunting the Dacks is not about killing but the comradery and the jurney to get their. Its about setting foot in places nobody has walked on in a 100 years. Hears some photos from the day long canoe potage to our camp 7 miles in.

Well said.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:47 am

Ognennyy wrote:I took my first buck ever this year. Got him with my .306 on a cold morning up in the 'Dacks, 11/11/2017. 8 degrees when I left the car at 0430 to head out to my set about a mile into the woods. I was moving very slowly, being careful not to sweat. Had to stop and set up halfway there because I could tell gray light was happening. I heard a lot of movement between gray light and 0800, but never actually saw any deer. Then I picked up and moved the rest of the way in. I set up a little ground blind and sat down, situated in a saddle on the North-facing side of a large finger ridge that runs NE to SW, in a mature Beech stand. I had high hopes for the morning, knowing deer would gravitate toward this location on such a cold day.

Now with the sun up it was a hearty 15 degrees. After a short 15 minute wait I heard the tell-tale sounds of a deer coming about 80 yards over my left shoulder. I scoped the deer and sure enough it was a buck; a very nice 6 point! I took aim for the head and went through my shot sequence. He twitched once and expired. My thinking in aiming for the head - to preserve all the meat - proved to be true. Unfortunately, however, the bullet went in one eye and out the other, absolutely destroying the skull in the process. The antlers came off with a twist. No hope of a shoulder mount, which I had planned for my first buck. Oh well.

This is my first picture of a buck I ever got up in the 'Dacks. I set the camera up in April 2017 on a trail in a pinch point where I knew there to be deer movement. I just retrieved the camera two weekends ago. Unfortunately the area will not be worth hunting as I had originally thought, since this was the only buck I saw on the camera, and I only got pictures of him on one day. Never saw him again.

My #1 goal for 2018 is to kill an elk with my bow. My #2 goal is to get a deer, I don't care if it's a doe or buck, up in the 'Dacks, with my bow, from the ground. I think that's a tall order. But I've killed three deer now and I even got my first bow kill in 2017. So now I have the confidence to know I can seal the deal when I get the opportunity, which up in the 'Dacks will probably take multiple seasons. I've recently learned that the public access where I'm hunting is much, much larger than I had thought. There are several large areas that have been logged in the past 5 years. I plan to scout those immediately this Spring as soon as the snow is mostly gone.

Good luck to everyone with their scouting this Spring!
that's awesome congrats on a great deer I don't think people understand the difficulty in being successful in the dacks I know a lot of people that never killed a deer. you should find some remote mountain top beds and put a camera over them and let them soak for a year id love to see the results
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:12 am

ghoasthunter wrote:ImageImageImage Hunting the Dacks is not about killing but the comradery and the jurney to get their. Its about setting foot in places nobody has walked on in a 100 years. Hears some photos from the day long canoe potage to our camp 7 miles in.

I swear I have been on that point where your canoe is...but that could be anywhere in the Dacks. I already shared some tips on the public land thread, but I sure do miss hunting up there.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:48 am

I hear a lot about giant bucks up in the Dacks. People at the local snowmobile club / bar up on the mountain where I hunt are always talking about trail cam pics they've gotten of bruisers out near the club's hunting cabin, deep in the forest. From time to time I'll see a post on here, or an article somewhere on the net, talking about giant 10-12 pointers that dress to 200+ lbs. I suppose it would make sense, since the winters up there are long, cold, and hard with very limited food. Larger bodied animals would do much better than small-framed ones.

I've never seen evidence of a deer like that in the Dacks. Then again my experience is limited to where I hunt, which is within 1 mile of the road near a parking area, where a lot of deer drives take place on the muzzle loader and rifle openers. Have any of you ever personally witnessed big bucks in the Dacks?
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:09 am

Ognennyy wrote:I hear a lot about giant bucks up in the Dacks. People at the local snowmobile club / bar up on the mountain where I hunt are always talking about trail cam pics they've gotten of bruisers out near the club's hunting cabin, deep in the forest. From time to time I'll see a post on here, or an article somewhere on the net, talking about giant 10-12 pointers that dress to 200+ lbs. I suppose it would make sense, since the winters up there are long, cold, and hard with very limited food. Larger bodied animals would do much better than small-framed ones.

I've never seen evidence of a deer like that in the Dacks. Then again my experience is limited to where I hunt, which is within 1 mile of the road near a parking area, where a lot of deer drives take place on the muzzle loader and rifle openers. Have any of you ever personally witnessed big bucks in the Dacks?

Ive seen a few 200+ lb bucks from the dacks in person and also see pics of them every year on a few websites I follow. They are up there, but as you mentioned, not around every corner and usually they come from deep in the woods. There is atleast one beast member on here who has taken a few of those bigwoods bucks as well.
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:27 am

jman22 wrote:
Ognennyy wrote:I hear a lot about giant bucks up in the Dacks. People at the local snowmobile club / bar up on the mountain where I hunt are always talking about trail cam pics they've gotten of bruisers out near the club's hunting cabin, deep in the forest. From time to time I'll see a post on here, or an article somewhere on the net, talking about giant 10-12 pointers that dress to 200+ lbs. I suppose it would make sense, since the winters up there are long, cold, and hard with very limited food. Larger bodied animals would do much better than small-framed ones.

Ive seen a few 200+ lb bucks from the dacks in person and also see pics of them every year on a few websites I follow. They are up there, but as you mentioned, not around every corner and usually they come from deep in the woods. There is atleast one beast member on here who has taken a few of those bigwoods bucks as well.

Someone on here has posted pics / stories of a 200+ lbs buck from the Dacks? Who?
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:39 am

Biggest bucks I have ever got on trail cam. Never saw many when hunting, and common to go a few weeks between deer sightings, but they are there. I would say this one would have gone well over 200 lbs. Looks like a small horse...

This picture was about a 3 mile hike from parking area off trail and across a small river.

Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:07 pm

Yeah that's a big deer for sure. I think I'll have to get up there into the mountains this Spring and apply some beast scouting to find some big guys like that.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:25 am

Here are a couple of Adirondack bucks. Not 200# though, upper 180s or so. Most mature ADK bucks won't hit 200# like they do in Maine.

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:41 am

the pics popping up on hear are awesome I have to dig up the photo albums. I have pictures of some big ones out of our camps
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:46 am

SamPotter wrote:Here are a couple of Adirondack bucks. Not 200# though, upper 180s or so. Most mature ADK bucks won't hit 200# like they do in Maine.

those are some slobs my dads bucks were all just under 200 also. but he did shoot one 10 point that was 230 that buck had a 3.5 in wide track the ones in 190 range I also found have bigger racks for sum reason. either way they are all trophy's
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:49 am

Ognennyy wrote:Yeah that's a big deer for sure. I think I'll have to get up there into the mountains this Spring and apply some beast scouting to find some big guys like that.
don't be surprised if you find a big shed in a bed that's how I found all my sheds from up their I found when all the deer move to go yard the biggest bucks dig in and stay right in their core area. check areas that have moose the bucks use their trails in winter.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”