How long a walk?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

How Long of a walk to your hunting location?

15-30 minutes
20%
30-45 minutes
25%
45-1 hour
24%
1 hour
10%
Over an hour
22%

Total votes: 51
tgreeno
500 Club

Re: How long a walk?

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:06 am

checkerfred wrote:
flinginairos wrote:
headgear wrote:I can't even throw out any numbers, that last 100-200 yards can sometimes take a half hour to hour or more if there is no wind, stealth mode takes up a majority of my time on entrance.

Same here. My final approach can be agonizingly slow on calm days with crunchy leaves lol. Every day is different it just depends on the distance to the stand and conditions. I'd say it's 45-1hour on average.

This is definitely an area I need to improve on. Even if I slow down I end up moving too fast. If I just knew there was a big
deer that would be better motivation

It is critical to treat every hunt as if a big buck is "home" every time!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:40 am

Longest last year was an hour and I was still a half mile from where I wanted to end up....

The marsh I’m looking at has a couple spots that are 3 miles. First 2.5 is easy but the last half could be brutal. Plus staying stealthy. I’ll leave at 6am for an evening hunt :lol:

Also an hour on a logging road gets you a long ways. An hour in a swamp or a marsh could be a third or less of that.

My gun stand was 45 minutes and a mile in the river bottom
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:22 pm

Time of walk can be deceiving, sometimes I walk 45 min in a loop and end up dang near where I started. I walk as long as I have to, to get on undesturbed deer and get on stand without tipping my hand. Can be anywhere from 5 min to a hour and half.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:27 pm

I have hiked for 4+ hours looking for hot sign to hang and hunt and also spent over an hour sneaking 200 yds. for quiet access to a stand.

The longer I hunt, the more attention I pay to stand access. I used to try to get in the stand quickly so I could let the (woods settle down) :lol: and sit longer. Now I put much more emphasis on keeping a low profile throughout the entire hunt, especially the entry.
dewayne

Unread postby dewayne » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:46 am

I hunt on a military base so all of my walks are very short. In most cases I walk between 150-200 yards. It usually takes me longer to set up my stand.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:37 pm

Had a spot deep in the swamp that would take my buddy and I about an hour and a half just to get to the area we would hunt. Another 20 to get up a tree and set up. We both shot deer back there and each time it took about 4 hours to drag them out :lol:
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:47 pm

It varies I'd say average is 45 till I'm set up. I can work on slowing down closer to my tree.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:14 am

The longest spot for me this year was exactly a 1 mile hike from the truck on the GPS . Not sure how long it took ,50 min- to an hour I guess ,taking my time. Most Spots I sit vary from 10 minutes to 25 min walks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”