Do you ever hit a brick wall?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

checkerfred
500 Club

Do you ever hit a brick wall?

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:15 am

So I’ve been doing some thinking lately. Some days I enjoy hunting and some days I get so frustrated and feel like I’m just wasting time. I’ve done the same with other things over the years, like golf. I hit a level where it was just extremely hard to improve and some days I would go backwards. I’m getting this same feeling in hunting. Some days it’s a struggle just to see deer and other days you have a wonderful day in the woods that just can’t beat. It really starts to effect my patience and I start to second guess everything to the point where sometimes I just won’t go hunt. I’ve started asking myself “Have I peaked in my abilities?”

I’ve been on this site for about 5-6 years now and have learned a lot. I read about some of you guys on here patterning bucks or it seems like you’ve got some awesome bedding nailed down and you put down some big bucks. I just seems like this is a level that’s just hard to get to. I’ll admit I haven’t scouted near as much as I should but then I look at the stuff I have scouted and feel like I’m missing something and haven’t put the pieces together, or have no idea how to approach hunting it.

My goals for next year are to scout more hunt less, and focus either on one public land or if I focus on multiples limit my areas (I’m bad about going in blind looking for new areas)

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: Have you peaked as a hunter?

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:26 am

I really dont think anyone peaks as a hunter.
Maybe people get burned out or lose the drive to hunt
Me myself i havent even made it to the bottom of the hill yet
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:52 am

I don't think anyone ever peaks, due to a free willed wild animal involved. The hunters I know who usually hit a brick wall and doubt themselves somewhat like you describe is generally caused from trying to skip levels along the way. I mean they try to go from just getting into hunting, to straight big buck killer. Can only speak for myself, but I started off just hunting deer any deer. When that got easier I kept slowly raising the bar. But that taught me how all deer survive. I know how family groups live, how younger bucks move around and all that knowledge I gained on them makes hunting for the older bucks make a lot more sense and helps me understand sign.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:12 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I don't think anyone ever peaks, due to a free willed wild animal involved. The hunters I know who usually hit a brick wall and doubt themselves somewhat like you describe is generally caused from trying to skip levels along the way. I mean they try to go from just getting into hunting, to straight big buck killer. Can only speak for myself, but I started off just hunting deer any deer. When that got easier I kept slowly raising the bar. But that taught me how all deer survive. I know how family groups live, how younger bucks move around and all that knowledge I gained on them makes hunting for the older bucks make a lot more sense and helps me understand sign.

I guess maybe peaking might have been the wrong word. I know there’s always something that can be learned no matter what the skill level. You said brick wall and that’s a better way to put it. I feel like I’ve hit that brick wall. I focused the first year or so here just reading and being in awe. Then I worked hard on finding beds which I can now do. Now I’m not sure how to progress. Divergent, another member here that I’ve hunted with a good bit told me I need to focus on something else now that I can find beds. But there’s still so much about these beds I don’t know or understand. Are they early season? Rut beds? Primary beds? Etc etc. It seems impossible to figure out where these bucks go. In the south there’s food everywhere. I just know I need to progress as I feel stagnant now doing the same
thing.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:19 am

Going in blind is a very challenging thing to accomplish! Ive tried! There is always something overlooked that you would have know if you had scouted it at least a little bit. These types of challenges is what made me dive in to beast tactics head first and makes me feel im years away from reaching my peak as a hunter.

I have done way more scouting this year inseason than i every have, has it done me any good? I wont know till next season probably, but i fill like i actully have a desent shot next year, i feel like i have gained that intel that tells me “when”, something i never have put into the game plan. I have also really taking notice to the whole idea of scouting the importance verses just throwing a sit and kinda hoping in a spot. Knowing has become my main goal first!

My goal on scouting from one area to the next is like 70% one wma to 30% other spots. I feel like i want know whats going on till i feel like i have that handle to know the where, why, and how down enough before i really start putting effort elsewhere. But i need enough intel at another whole diffrent area to break the boredom of the same ole thing and or have that back up when i reallize im pushing way to hard.
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
OldMtnMan

Unread postby OldMtnMan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:21 am

The only time i'd get bored with hunting is if it got too easy. I try and make the hunt as challenging as I can. I'm not bored after 6 decades of hunting.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:57 am

UofLbowhunter wrote:Going in blind is a very challenging thing to accomplish! Ive tried! There is always something overlooked that you would have know if you had scouted it at least a little bit. These types of challenges is what made me dive in to beast tactics head first and makes me feel im years away from reaching my peak as a hunter.

I have done way more scouting this year inseason than i every have, has it done me any good? I wont know till next season probably, but i fill like i actully have a desent shot next year, i feel like i have gained that intel that tells me “when”, something i never have put into the game plan. I have also really taking notice to the whole idea of scouting the importance verses just throwing a sit and kinda hoping in a spot. Knowing has become my main goal first!

My goal on scouting from one area to the next is like 70% one wma to 30% other spots. I feel like i want know whats going on till i feel like i have that handle to know the where, why, and how down enough before i really start putting effort elsewhere. But i need enough intel at another whole diffrent area to break the boredom of the same ole thing and or have that back up when i reallize im pushing way to hard.

Well said. I scouted a good bit in season last year and learned some stuff but it didn’t really help me this year. I need more scouting I think and I need to stop spreading myself so thin
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:59 am

burkhart wrote:Peaked no.... not even close I get smarter everyday. However being able to put in unlimited time like on my 20s yes those days are long gone

I need an admin to change it to “Do you ever hit a brick wall?”...when boogieman said that, that describes it for me as opposed to peaking
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:37 am

checkerfred wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I don't think anyone ever peaks, due to a free willed wild animal involved. The hunters I know who usually hit a brick wall and doubt themselves somewhat like you describe is generally caused from trying to skip levels along the way. I mean they try to go from just getting into hunting, to straight big buck killer. Can only speak for myself, but I started off just hunting deer any deer. When that got easier I kept slowly raising the bar. But that taught me how all deer survive. I know how family groups live, how younger bucks move around and all that knowledge I gained on them makes hunting for the older bucks make a lot more sense and helps me understand sign.

I guess maybe peaking might have been the wrong word. I know there’s always something that can be learned no matter what the skill level. You said brick wall and that’s a better way to put it. I feel like I’ve hit that brick wall. I focused the first year or so here just reading and being in awe. Then I worked hard on finding beds which I can now do. Now I’m not sure how to progress. Divergent, another member here that I’ve hunted with a good bit told me I need to focus on something else now that I can find beds. But there’s still so much about these beds I don’t know or understand. Are they early season? Rut beds? Primary beds? Etc etc. It seems impossible to figure out where these bucks go. In the south there’s food everywhere. I just know I need to progress as I feel stagnant now doing the same
thing.

Just try to keep it fun, don't want it feeling like a job out there. Think everyone gets in a funk now and again, sometimes after I go awhile of not seeing anything, I just sit high traffic areas so I can simply see deer, recharge my batteries, regain some confidence and get back in the thick of things. Not saying u must go that route, but hitting a brick wall sometimes causes lack of confidence, and questioning ones abilities. That's not good in my opinion
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:39 am

I’m just scratching the surface as a hunter and am on the rise. Nope haven’t peaked!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:41 am

I hit one every few seasons.

Sometimes you can break through them. Sometimes you need to readjust and change directions.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:09 am

Nope...Always learning. Always improving.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:12 am

Every time I hunt or scout I try to take something away from it. This kinda helps what you're going through although I'm nowhere near my peak. To be honest I'm an average deer hunter at best :lol: So it's hard to relate BUT I'd try to make it fun as possible and if that doesn't work hang it up for a while. I've hunted hard in the past, daily for weeks and after about a week/week and a half I'll quit deer hunting for a while.

If I'm not having fun, taking something away from the hunts or going with buddies its difficult to keep doing so. I feel like this is why a lot of guys get into food plotting & habitat management IMO

No worries, by July you'll be chomping at the bit once again waiting for September ;)
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:40 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Just try to keep it fun, don't want it feeling like a job out there. Think everyone gets in a funk now and again, sometimes after I go awhile of not seeing anything, I just sit high traffic areas so I can simply see deer, recharge my batteries, regain some confidence and get back in the thick of things. Not saying u must go that route, but hitting a brick wall sometimes causes lack of confidence, and questioning ones abilities. That's not good in my opinion

That’s a big part of it. During winter I have a lot more time to hunt and probably hunt too much. I really would like to get to where I know that when I go out to hunt, I’m in a high percentage setup and not just wasting time.

I have very little private land to hunt so I hunt mostly public and the closest is an hour away. After so many times of not seeing a deer I start doubting everything. “It’s rut and I should be seeing bucks cruising”...things like that. Sometimes I just need to see some deer

PK_ wrote:I hit one every few seasons.

Sometimes you can break through them. Sometimes you need to readjust and change directions.

I think that’s what I need to do. Re adjust and re evaluate. One thing for sure though is that something has to change
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:43 am

As a hunter, god I hope not.

I know everything holding me back is mental, and that’s the hardest to overcome because you will always have doubt that this stuff works until you see it yourself.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”