Do you ever

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Killtree

Do you ever

Unread postby Killtree » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:10 am

Find a spot where you feel a mature buck should be bedding, but there is no evidence that it has been used is a few years, so you rake the leaves out to expose a deer size patch of bare ground in hopes that one starts using it?

:violence-bowandarrow:
Redman232

Re: Do you ever

Unread postby Redman232 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:24 am

I've done it with 0 success. My opinion now is, if it was that great of a spot to begin with there would be at least a remotely fresh bed there.
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:44 am

I found two spots yesterday that seemed to have everything a buck could want for a North wind. On a thick point, deer size depression on uphill side of tree.
One of the spots had some deer hair about 3 layers of leaves deep, so I am sure it was used at some point over the years.
I was thinking if I made it look inviting maybe I could jump start it back into use.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:46 am

Mature bucks bed in specific areas because of specific reasons. Sometimes those reasons, may not be obvious to us. I think your time is better used finding where he's bedding.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:58 am

tgreeno wrote:Mature bucks bed in specific areas because of specific reasons. Sometimes those reasons, may not be obvious to us. I think your time is better used finding where he's bedding.

Oh, I agree, but I know of places where bucks bed that go dry for a few years, then it seems another buck finally decides to start bedding there and it starts getting used again.
I was more interested in trying to attract a buck to a previously used spot than trying to get one to bed in a spot that had never seen use.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:23 am

Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:36 am

Ack wrote:A little more info on this......

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39435&p=573039&hilit=Creating#p573039

I have read that post before, its kind of what gave me the idea to rake the ground clean.
I am not interested in hinge cutting or doing anything to encourage a deer to bed in a spot that one has never bedded.
More interested in trying to get a deer to reuse a spot that has everything already in place, just seems like the deer have overlooked it for a few years.
fireforeffect

Unread postby fireforeffect » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:49 am

Killtree wrote:
Ack wrote:A little more info on this......

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39435&p=573039&hilit=Creating#p573039

I have read that post before, its kind of what gave me the idea to rake the ground clean.
I am not interested in hinge cutting or doing anything to encourage a deer to bed in a spot that one has never bedded.
More interested in trying to get a deer to reuse a spot that has everything already in place, just seems like the deer have overlooked it for a few years.

Overlooked it, or been pressured off of it? If you know about the spot, then the gig is up. The deer may have you pegged in that spot. Maybe they don't, but they are favoring another area for some reason. The best way to get them to use it again is probably to find where they are bedding currently and bump them, while staying far away from the area that you hope they move to.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:19 am

I find big buck beds that dried up if they just seam to good I will check them every year often I find their is an obstruction in the bed or on the trail sometimes its food source change be it ag or mast sometimes the big buck has died or the area has been hunted out. I've came back to these beds 3 years later and they are active again. so I prep a tree and check for rubs entering a bed. if its really a bed their will be historic sign their from old rubs. those are worth maintaining but their has to be some kind of proof. I just went scouting in a bedding area the other day that has slowed down the last couple ears sure enough 3 of the 5 beds had blow downs and limbs that pushed brier bushes into them not allowing bucks to bed on different winds so I pulled the blow downs out and threw them into their backstops and pushed the briers out of bed and entry exit trails. beds need a couple exits and a good field of view to be used heavily normally they are slightly higher than other surroundings in hill country and always dry in swamps
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:39 am

Only time I see a good bed dry up is from a change in food source. Early season they usually bed right ontop of food here, so if the farmer changed the menu they often relocate.

Same for years some oaks don't drop, the does bed else where taking the bucks with them. When the food returns back, the bed be good again.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”