Cams on public poll

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

If running cams on public were illegal in my home state...

I would do it anyway.
22%
I would not do it.
78%

Total votes: 111
backstraps

Re: Cams on public poll

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:22 am

As minor as it would seem, to me I wont pick n choose the rules I abide and rules I break

Easier to stay within the law and not have anything to worry about.

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:41 am

I wouldn't, but also wouldn't get bent out of shape if I saw them out now.

It's legal on the public I hunt now and I don't. I think in Sam's last Chase Nation post he mentioned one of the guys runs a lot of cams and expects a handful to disappear every year. I wouldn't just leave $100 bill laying in the woods and hope noone takes it, so kind of feel the same way about cams on public.

We run a few on private, but honestly, I still kind of like not knowing what exactly is around or what may pop out. I scout to know I'm in the neighborhood of good bucks, I personally don't need to know everything about them.

That all said, I really don't understand what the justification for them being illegal is.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:47 am

stash59 wrote:Boys we hunted without cams for years.

I still do more w/o than w/ them. Actually get alot of satisfaction out of this. Cams are a pain to me but are no doubt a game changer.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:14 pm

I don't agree with the law in Missouri, but I abide...reluctantly.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:51 pm

I can run cams on public legally here and do. But if it was illegal i Wouldnt!!

Lets ask this, if you could run a cam and cought someone on camera doing something illegal would you turn them in!!!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
bh bowhunter

Unread postby bh bowhunter » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:14 pm

I get a big thrill out of scouting an area and placing a camera over deer sign and getting big buck pics. It's a big part of my year round scouting. I especially like to use video because it gives you a peek into the secret life of deer. I have a big collection of both pics and videos, and it's cool to see how a bucks rack can change over the years! I guess I can see why in some states they are illegal, as they do provide a hunter with info.

In the big woods where I hunt, I have yet been able to pattern a mature buck using cams! I still scout the old fashion way by putting plenty of miles on the boot leather! These pics and videos will be an awesome reminder and tell a cool story of seasons past! I also have a small video camera with me every time I go to the woods, cause you just never know what you will see!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:34 pm

It's just like all the other issues with public land.
Can't leave out stands...I find stands all over.
Can't trim trees...I see guys hacking the heck out of trees.
Can't bait in certain areas...I find bait in those areas.
Can't steal other people cameras...I get people stealing my cameras.

It's really kind of a free for all at this point!

Not sure about your dilemma Lockdown? It doesn't matter we think, it only maters what you think!

I did not vote on your poll. I really don't know what I would do? I'm not a huge camera guy to begin with.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:14 pm

Jonny wrote:
NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:
Jonny wrote:I'm gonna say no. However, do as you please, and it really wouldn't bother me personally one bit.

However, only downside is, if your cams are stolen or messed with, you really can't say anything

If they’re stolen now you really can’t say anything. Who you gonna call the DNR? It’s like leave at your own risk.

Exactly. I don't steal things, but I have "adjusted" stuff that isn't supposed to be in the woods. Flipping steps, tying off pull up ropes to a tree, stuff like that. Just sending a polite message

Ive done same thing back in jersey. Guys trying to cut my bait pile off.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:17 pm

I wouldnt really if its illegal we hunters have a bad enough rep in alot of gazing eyes who watch every move and thing we do. Dont wanna give anti hunters any ammo to do away with our sport. He whodoes the wrong thing will sure pay the price in the future
I dont use any trail cams anyway. They are way too expensive and i get scared to death they will be stolen
But its surely a personal choice
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:19 pm

Stupid rules are just that, stupid. But they are rules too. When we try to decide which rules were going to bend and which ones were going to break starts us down a very slippery slope, in my opinion. I think it's stupid that I can't shoot a deer 10 yards away 2 minutes after legal shooting light, and I have to make the decision if I'm going to follow the rules or not.
What if just putting up the illegal trail cameras today, or taking that just a little too late a shot, for some people eventually turns into poaching deer at night with high-powered flashlights and night vision goggles over illegal bait piles? :think:
A slippery slope, indeed.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:27 pm

wolverinebuckman wrote:Stupid rules are just that, stupid. But they are rules too. When we try to decide which rules were going to bend and which ones were going to break starts us down a very slippery slope, in my opinion. I think it's stupid that I can't shoot a deer 10 yards away 2 minutes after legal shooting light, and I have to make the decision if I'm going to follow the rules or not.
What if just putting up the illegal trail cameras today, or taking that just a little too late a shot, for some people eventually turns into poaching deer at night with high-powered flashlights and night vision goggles over illegal bait piles? :think:

It’s unreal how some guys can justify in their own minds why they can do stuff that’s illegal. Just read in the paper a guy got pinched for poaching deer with a night vision scope mounted on a crossbow. :roll:
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:33 pm

Dewey wrote:
wolverinebuckman wrote:Stupid rules are just that, stupid. But they are rules too. When we try to decide which rules were going to bend and which ones were going to break starts us down a very slippery slope, in my opinion. I think it's stupid that I can't shoot a deer 10 yards away 2 minutes after legal shooting light, and I have to make the decision if I'm going to follow the rules or not.

It’s unreal how some guys can justify in their own minds why they can do stuff that’s illegal. Just read in the paper a guy got pinched for poaching deer with a night vision scope mounted on a crossbow. :roll:

I found out when I was younger that when you cheat at something it takes away the shine of a victory. Pretty much goes for all sports. If that guy shoot some monster deer, now he's got to come up with a story to tell that's completely based around a lie, he can never tell anybody the truth of how he got it.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:38 pm

Its like anything else in the world.
If you keep doing somthing wrong your gonna get caught there is always somthing or someone who is jealous or is just a but head and usually rats
So if i were you i wouldnt its just not worth it
No shortcuts hard work and dedication brings complete satisfaction and happiness. There just is no cheats easy ways or short way. Just hard honest work
Last edited by Rob loper on Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:39 pm

Dewey wrote:

So do you think that guy tried to justify that what he did wasn't wrong or he just plain didn't care?

I think many have an intuitive knowing of right and wrong regardless of legality. Those people don't really need rules to keep them in line. Then there are those that don't care hence the need for so many rules. But I doubt a person that decides using a trail cam or a screw in step because they don't see it as a big deal goes down the road of shooting deer at night...
Make It Happen
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:50 pm

Swampbuck wrote:
Dewey wrote:

So do you think that guy tried to justify that what he did wasn't wrong or he just plain didn't care?

I think many have an intuitive knowing of right and wrong regardless of legality. Those people don't really need rules to keep them in line. Then there are those that don't care hence the need for so many rules. But I doubt a person that decides using a trail cam or a screw in step because they don't see it as a big deal goes down the road of shooting deer at night...

Probably didn’t care.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”