camo - mix and match??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ashreve93

Re: camo - mix and match??

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:04 pm

Oftentimes I still use the old army Pattern from back in the day. Works well for me. Keep in mind deer don't see little tiny detail, they kind of sea blobs with movement. So any tight pattern is practically useless. The most important thing is to keep out of their peripherals and to not move when they're looking in your Direction.

I feel camo is more for people than it is for the animals that are being hunted.

It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:21 pm

JeffG wrote:I like to mix and match my camo. Sometimes your lower body needs to have a different effect from your upper body. I think I hit a good combo on this hunt...

two patterns break up the human outline very well
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:56 am

I honestly don’t give camo that much thought. I have so many different patterns to choose from, I basically just put some on and go.
When I’m prepping a tree I keep in mind the sun and shadows, and try not to be silhouette.
That being said, I do have a home made ghillie jacket that I use for coyote hunting that I will probably use some in the marsh if hunting from the ground.
pilgrimhunter

Unread postby pilgrimhunter » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:19 pm

Really interesting thread. (And funny. Dewey you made me laugh!) I don't know that I was ever told not to lock eyes with deer but somewhere along the way I learned this and have seen it help more than once If I am getting stared at I will squint to where I can barely see. I think it really makes a difference.
In regards to camo I have never been stuck on one particular brand or pattern but agree that most camo is entirely to dark. From a distance( to my human eyes) people look like dark blobs. I don't know for sure what deer see but I a design that is more open would seem better. I really want to get an Asat leafy suit....

All that said IMO using shadows and holding still are much more important than your camo.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:17 am

I think an animal can see a face because its genetically imprinted in all mammals and it goes back in billions of years of evolution. its the predator pray thing all predators have forward facing eyes. an animal such as a deer would be genetically imprinted from birth to be able to pick up on the shape of two round eyes and the face. think about how a lion ambushes prey they are hidden in tall grass and all you can see is the face. also humans are very talented a finding faces in artwork and every day objects look at the clouds 9 out of ten people will say "ooo look at that face!" I don't think its anything other then genetic evaluation for survival. I even think every time we have a hunting season we are creating harder deer to kill the dumb ones die and the deer with better senses survive. 20 years ago I remember deer blowing more and being more active in daylight is this just random or is it Darwinism!
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:41 am

Hear is a great Podcast on camo patterns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUxGnTq ... 78Ra-&t=0s

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”