camo - mix and match??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Re: camo - mix and match??

Unread postby headgear » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:40 am

Yep open patterns, colors don't really matter. I like asat and predator, I would feel find wearing them in any situation from early season to snow. Certainly on the ground thinks can be different but I have had mature bucks stare a hole right through me at 10 yards and only 10 feet off the ground and had mature does within 10 and 20 yards stare me down and not freak out. Plenty of other patterns will get this done too, they just have to break up that outline and not blob up.

elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:16 am

I always chuckle a bit when I see a guy dressed head to toe in some stylish pattern. If that's what you want to do, fine, just saying it's a bit fruity. I mismash all my stuff and really don't think about camo much. I also wear a lot of plaid and earth tones to no ill effect. The way a deer's eyes work I think blaze orange is one of the best "camos" for being in the skyline like treestand hunting. In my opinion the worst possible camo is dark blob stuff like the realtree and all the mainstream printed stuff.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
OldMtnMan

Unread postby OldMtnMan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:28 am

Deer see everything in pale yellows.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:57 am

Looks like I'm the minority here but I absolutely believe camo can make a difference. I realize movement is the key and this is basic hunter knowledge that goes without saying but there is much more to it than that. Deer know the shape of a human so anything you can do to break that up is a positive. After years and years of experimenting I came to a conclusion a pattern like Predator or something similar makes a lot bigger difference than you think. Thinking back over the years with some of the other patterns I was amazed how many times deer picked me out in the tree even when I wasn't moving one bit. Maybe my camo had some UV glow to it or maybe it just didn't blend in very well??? No idea but since switching to Predator it's amazing how much more I can get away with and the deer seem to just look right thru me even at ground level. I can't argue with the results. I'm a huge Predator fan and own a bunch. Early season I wear Spring Green and later after leaf drop I switch to Brown Deception and Fall Gray.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:20 am

every warm blooded animals brain is programed to see a face one thing I was always taught from a child is don't look straight at an animals eyes they will pic up on you way faster. I never look directly at a animal and I stare at their but or feet. I also think a animal can sense your energy I don't think about killing an animal till its time. It sounds far fetched but I rarely get spotted in some really open situations. a deer's vision is based on movement and I've found as long as I move the same speed as the moving deer I can get away with a lot. they have good eyes but they are not as complex as a predators vision.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:26 am

hear is a decent video on deer vision https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3XX3p5T2ts
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:42 am

ontario farmer
Facebook: Ontario

Unread postby ontario farmer » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:39 am

Dewey wrote:Looks like I'm the minority here but I absolutely believe camo can make a difference. I realize movement is the key and this is basic hunter knowledge that goes without saying but there is much more to it than that. Deer know the shape of a human so anything you can do to break that up is a positive. After years and years of experimenting I came to a conclusion a pattern like Predator or something similar makes a lot bigger difference than you think. Thinking back over the years with some of the other patterns I was amazed how many times deer picked me out in the tree even when I wasn't moving one bit. Maybe my camo had some UV glow to it or maybe it just didn't blend in very well??? No idea but since switching to Predator it's amazing how much more I can get away with and the deer seem to just look right thru me even at ground level. I can't argue with the results. I'm a huge Predator fan and own a bunch. Early season I wear Spring Green and later after leaf drop I switch to Brown Deception and Fall Gray.

I am not a big believer in camo. But I have wondered about how predator camo seems to blend with even the sky in the background. That open pattern makes me wonder if it works so it is harder for a deer to pick out very slow movement..
Next time I need something new I might look at it.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:45 am

ontario farmer wrote:
Dewey wrote:Looks like I'm the minority here but I absolutely believe camo can make a difference. I realize movement is the key and this is basic hunter knowledge that goes without saying but there is much more to it than that. Deer know the shape of a human so anything you can do to break that up is a positive. After years and years of experimenting I came to a conclusion a pattern like Predator or something similar makes a lot bigger difference than you think. Thinking back over the years with some of the other patterns I was amazed how many times deer picked me out in the tree even when I wasn't moving one bit. Maybe my camo had some UV glow to it or maybe it just didn't blend in very well??? No idea but since switching to Predator it's amazing how much more I can get away with and the deer seem to just look right thru me even at ground level. I can't argue with the results. I'm a huge Predator fan and own a bunch. Early season I wear Spring Green and later after leaf drop I switch to Brown Deception and Fall Gray.

I am not a big believer in camo. But I have wondered about how predator camo seems to blend with even the sky in the background. That open pattern makes me wonder if it works so it is harder for a deer to pick out very slow movement..
Next time I need something new I might look at it.

it works buy confusing depth perception most modern camos do that in some form sitka, first light, asat, kryptek mprat it eliminates the 2 d in deers vision spectrum I think.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:47 am

I don't pay much attention to camo, and honestly couldn't tell you what different kinds I have. I have killed plenty of deer without camo also. I just like camo because it is made for hunting and is comfortable for hunting. The only thing I have seen really blend completely in with my surroundings is the cabelas outfitter camo when I am hunting in limestone rock cliffs with moss. I do like the larger camo pattern of this type of camo. All the main name brand stuff is all the same to me, I could care less as long as my outfit is comfortable and functional.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:50 am

brancher147 wrote:I don't pay much attention to camo, and honestly couldn't tell you what different kinds I have. I have killed plenty of deer without camo also. I just like camo because it is made for hunting and is comfortable for hunting. The only thing I have seen really blend completely in with my surroundings is the cabelas outfitter camo when I am hunting in limestone rock cliffs with moss. I do like the larger camo pattern of this type of camo. All the main name brand stuff is all the same to me, I could care less as long as my outfit is comfortable and functional.

I miss their outfitter brown I have their burber fleece hoodie and it rocks
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:05 am

If camo doesn’t work how many guys do you see being succesful at spot and stalking mule deer and antelope at close range with a bow in the wide open plains while wearing blue jeans and flannel? :think:

There’s no question how well a pattern that matches the terrain out there blends in for that situation. They don’t make those patterns just to please the eyes of the hunters.....that stuff does actually work.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:10 am

Dewey wrote:If camo doesn’t work how many guys do you see being succesful at spot and stalking mule deer and antelope at close range with a bow in the wide open plains while wearing blue jeans and flannel? :think:

There’s no question how well a pattern that matches the terrain out there blends in for that situation. Theydon’t make those patterns just to please the eyes of the hunters.....that stuff does actually work.

not trying to start anything but the normal clothes for tracking deer on east coast is ranger green wool and orange vests and thousands of deer have fallen that way.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:12 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
Dewey wrote:If camo doesn’t work how many guys do you see being succesful at spot and stalking mule deer and antelope at close range with a bow in the wide open plains while wearing blue jeans and flannel? :think:

There’s no question how well a pattern that matches the terrain out there blends in for that situation. Theydon’t make those patterns just to please the eyes of the hunters.....that stuff does actually work.

not trying to start anything but the normal clothes for tracking deer on east coast is ranger green wool and orange vests and thousands of deer have fallen that way.

Tracking deer with a gun in the woods is WAY different than spot and stalking critters in the wide open western plains. Just saying in certain situations there is no doubt specific camo is a huge advantage.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:17 am

I'm game! I'm willing to be the test dummy this season. I will wear whatever y'all want orange, hot pink, blue, a suit and tie don't matter to me. If I get busted I get busted I'm just curious to see if it matters. I believe on the ground it does, in a tree I'm a skeptic.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”