camo - mix and match??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: camo - mix and match??

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:25 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I'm game! I'm willing to be the test dummy this season. I will wear whatever y'all want orange, hot pink, blue, a suit and tie don't matter to me. If I get busted I get busted I'm just curious to see if it matters. I believe on the ground it does, in a tree I'm a skeptic.

I wonder if deer can tell size ill wear a turkey suit lol. I have gotten amazingly close to does and bucks buy holding my bow on my head bending over and walking strait at them acting like a deer and scratching around on the ground with my feet lol. nobody ever said deer were smart lol.

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
OldMtnMan

Unread postby OldMtnMan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:56 am

Dewey wrote:If camo doesn’t work how many guys do you see being succesful at spot and stalking mule deer and antelope at close range with a bow in the wide open plains while wearing blue jeans and flannel? :think:

There’s no question how well a pattern that matches the terrain out there blends in for that situation. They don’t make those patterns just to please the eyes of the hunters.....that stuff does actually work.

No one says it doesn't work. It's just not needed. Do you think we never stalked game in the open before camo came out? Stalking or still hunting close to game is hunter skill. Not what he's wearing.

btw..Nobody is saying to wear blue jeans. Game will see that like a neon light. I wear brown jeans.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:14 am

I don't really concern myself too much with patterns. As long as it breaks up your silhouette I think that's more than good. That and staying still. I laugh when I see new camo pattern every year. What a scam. Only time I was ever busted this year (other than deer smelling my scent directly below me) we when I moved. I had a stair down at 7 yards with a mature doe for a solid 5 mins. Never moved once and eventually she walked through carefully.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:00 am

OldMtnMan wrote:
Dewey wrote:If camo doesn’t work how many guys do you see being succesful at spot and stalking mule deer and antelope at close range with a bow in the wide open plains while wearing blue jeans and flannel? :think:

There’s no question how well a pattern that matches the terrain out there blends in for that situation. They don’t make those patterns just to please the eyes of the hunters.....that stuff does actually work.

No one says it doesn't work. It's just not needed. Do you think we never stalked game in the open before camo came out? Stalking or still hunting close to game is hunter skill. Not what he's wearing.

btw..Nobody is saying to wear blue jeans. Game will see that like a neon light. I wear brown jeans.

Fair enough. Just sharing my observations over the years. Not looking to get into a debate about this subject because it’s strictly a judgement call depending on the hunter. Lot’s of differing opinions on this and I respect that.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:11 am

I wear camo bowhunting to hide better from other hunters. Whether it helps with the deer is debatable.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:13 am

I've killed more deer wearing khaki carhart pants than anything else. I'll wear a camo shirt/jacket but that's it. For deer hunting, camo is overrated IMO.

Knowing when to move/where to hang a stand is the most important aspects for me. Best camo scheme in the world can't save you in a wide open tree.

I've been debating on wearing a flannel and khaki pants during a bowhunt to see if there's a difference. May try it next season just to see
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:36 am

Twenty Up wrote:I've killed more deer wearing khaki carhart pants than anything else. I'll wear a camo shirt/jacket but that's it. For deer hunting, camo is overrated IMO.

Knowing when to move/where to hang a stand is the most important aspects for me. Best camo scheme in the world can't save you in a wide open tree.

I've been debating on wearing a flannel and khaki pants during a bowhunt to see if there's a difference. May try it next season just to see

I've killed most my deer in solid od green pants and a earthy colored flannel shirt. The buck I shot this year I wore a solid green jacket and khaki pants not 8 ft off the ground and he walked right under me. Doing something different is just fun for me, not saying it's best
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:47 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I'm game! I'm willing to be the test dummy this season. I will wear whatever y'all want orange, hot pink, blue, a suit and tie don't matter to me. If I get busted I get busted I'm just curious to see if it matters. I believe on the ground it does, in a tree I'm a skeptic.

I wonder if deer can tell size ill wear a turkey suit lol. I have gotten amazingly close to does and bucks buy holding my bow on my head bending over and walking strait at them acting like a deer and scratching around on the ground with my feet lol. nobody ever said deer were smart lol.

What the heck is a turkey suit? Sounds G-money I want one lol! I haven't got very close to many walking around but the biggest buck I have ever laid eyes on I walked to within 10 yards of in a brushy fence row while I was headed to stand. I thought he was a rabbit :lol: I was looking at the tail, he was crawling then jumped up with a doe right infront of me and did the boot scoot boogie! Doah!!!!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:33 pm

I think of camouflage as as just a description of blending into surroundings. Sadly, now a days camo is only know as a "product" to most hunters. I do put camo up there as one of the most overhyped things in the hunting industry right beside scent control. Can these products help a little bit in certain situations - yep! Are they necessary - absolutely not.

The very best camo is your natural surroundings. I wear an olive drab floppy hat while hunting most of the time. I stitched paracord tie offs to it, and when I need a little extra blending in I tie native vegetation to it so it so it hangs down on each side of my head to my chest. Its crazy how much difference just that makes sometimes when I am turkey hunting. I also sometimes do it with deer but usually not necessary.

I would love to see a frontiersman's reaction when faced with what is the modern hunter decked out in the coolest gear. He just might die of laughter....and most of the frontiersmen didn't hold a candle to the abilities of native americans to stay concealed. All these fancy camo clothes on the modern hunter are as good as shop rags by comparison.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:09 pm

I do mix and match. Whatever I have to wear thats clean, the warmest and ripped the least :D . Most of my gear is worn and well used.
harold

Unread postby harold » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:25 pm

Function over form for me. I own some new stuff and some old stuff; will wear matching sets or mixed sets; but I'm worried about comfort in different weather conditions first.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is ghillie suits. They aren't a camo pattern but they function as camouflage. I don't own one personally, but anybody I've ever talked to who does raves about how well they keep them hidden. I think they work so well because they break up your outline. That seems to be the key; not the color.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:01 pm

stash59 wrote:I wear camo bowhunting to hide better from other hunters. Whether it helps with the deer is debatable.

Exactly how I feel. I feel more confident hunting in open patterns, but I still own some real tree and mossy oak stuff. I buy the clothes that best fit my needs and abnormally large frame. But when I get the choice, I get the open macro patterns (outfitter, predator, etc.).

Again, the best camo is not moving. But like stash said, I enjoy hiding from other hunters and know it saves some of my spots because I can hide
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:50 pm

I think camo worked but only in certain situations. Like up in a tree in a more open woods. An open pattern would be better there.

But look at how a brown deer blends in when they’re not moving. You can hardly see them most of the time. Heck I had some does bed down right near my stand this year and I’d have to look hard after I had taken my eyes off of them for a while because they were bedded and not moving. Now put that deer in an open field or skylined and they really stand out. Someone said above that it matters more in the ground, I think movement or lack thereof is the biggest thing and that camo pattern matters even less on the ground assuming you have at least a little bit Of cover.I’ve been busted in my ASAT walking in the woods.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:58 pm

Jonny wrote:
stash59 wrote:I wear camo bowhunting to hide better from other hunters. Whether it helps with the deer is debatable.

Exactly how I feel. I feel more confident hunting in open patterns, but I still own some real tree and mossy oak stuff. I buy the clothes that best fit my needs and abnormally large frame. But when I get the choice, I get the open macro patterns (outfitter, predator, etc.).

Again, the best camo is not moving. But like stash said, I enjoy hiding from other hunters and know it saves some of my spots because I can hide

Jonny who are you kidding. If your as big of a guy as you say you are hiding is kinda out of the question don’t you think? :lol:
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:49 pm

Whatever is cheap on the shelf at Kmart. I do like realtree , though.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”