Ideal time to prep stands?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Babshaft
500 Club

Re: Ideal time to prep stands?

Unread postby Babshaft » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:54 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
Babshaft wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
Good stuff! I would also like to add to that...what you will start finding is in one big chunk of ground, there will be 5% of it that you will keep coming back to as the most high percentage. You might have a 1000 acre chunk of timber and the sweet spot may only be 50 acres or less. But to figure that out just takes a lot of trial and error and a LOT of time.

Ontario is pretty small... :lol: :lol:

Hahahaha that made me chuckle. Ya Ontario is tiny haha. The one particular area I've been struggling with lately is a 28000 acre swamp. I think you're right about the trial and error and the time it'll take.

Time to pony up and put some more in!

Thanks for the help maine!

I hunt both the midwest and northeast. The learning curve in big woods and lower deer densities steep. Honestly, it can be downright discouraging. There are many years when I felt like I could not hunt my way out of a paper bag. Deer that I PASS on my midwest trips, I have never SEEN from stand here in the northeast.

BUT what it does is really really help you learn to scout effectively and you become a very patient hunter. NOT seeing deer is the norm. One buck I was hunting this year, where I killed him, he was the first deer I saw in 35-40hrs of hunting. 15th sit I killed him.

Thanks for the advice man. Both encouraging and discouraging hahaha. In all honesty though I'm glad to be outdoors and it'll definitely make me a better hunter.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”