New Piece of Property- Need some pointers

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wanabhunter

New Piece of Property- Need some pointers

Unread postby Wanabhunter » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:10 pm

So I got permission last October to hunt this new piece of property. I am only going to bow hunt it, as gun season its hit very very hard. However, my only access to this property is by canoe or kayak. I can walk around from the road but its crazy thick with tall grass, cat tails, scrub brush and the likes. I also believe that thats where the deer may be bedding. ( I spooked a few deer out when I was in there last October doing a quick scouting session.).

There is a point that is a decently steep slope (you can walk it but its borderline "eh I may not want to walk up or down that"). But that hill runs down right to the thick cover.

Ive never really hunted a hilly region and this is pretty much all the side of a hill that levels off from the thicket to the edge of the lake. I can't walk through what I think is bedding right, even if I sit there all day?

Im simply looking for some simple places to start scouting or cam placing. (Sidebar: I will put cams out in this spot so leave your disgruntled comments about cameras out of it- but I will only check them at the end of the season just to see whats in the area. Too hard to check and don't want to disturb the area).

I don't know how to post photos else I would.

Sequoia

Re: New Piece of Property- Need some pointers

Unread postby Sequoia » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:21 pm

Photo would really help.

You can go to Google earth/maps and use the "Snipping Tool" on your comp to cut out an image. You can then save it in "Paint" and mark it up. Save it again and then upload it to an image hosting website like: https://imgur.com/

Once you've done that you simply click the image icon above the text box when you hit "reply" and paste the link that imgur gives you.

I think there's a post about how to do it but that's basically it.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRiLH ... cRsR3Xgj4w

"Powder Dry. Morale High. "

- Col Ripley
Sequoia

Unread postby Sequoia » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:25 pm

You can walk through a bedding area if you're slipping in well before first light and intercepting the deer before they get back to it.

Keep in mind though that if you do this a couple times the deer will begin bedding in other areas because of the disturbance and your scent.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRiLH ... cRsR3Xgj4w

"Powder Dry. Morale High. "

- Col Ripley
Wanabhunter

Unread postby Wanabhunter » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:01 pm

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:04 pm

Try to find the beds and dont over hunt it
Wanabhunter

Unread postby Wanabhunter » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:18 pm

So I figured how to post pics finally lol. The image with the two yellow arrows are my potential entry routes. The one across the water is my safest best for not spooking deer as the other one is easier/safer but as you can see by the green lines i have to walk in through what I found to be bedding. The red lines is what I can hunt and everything else is privately owned. I know that 2 of the 4 fields (on the right side/east side of the photo closer to the street) has corn every year. Down near the creek is all dog wood and scrub brush until you cross it (going West) up the hill and then it's all hardwoods.

I personally will do a few all day sits during bow season.
I'm Looking for help as I never really hunted the side of a hill. If you guys could help me with some places to start to look for bedding, or potential stand sites/areas to begin. Maybe entry or exit routes? Maybe I'm better off walking from the street, crossing the creek and walking the lake edge?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:52 am

Wanabhunter wrote:So I figured how to post pics finally lol. The image with the two yellow arrows are my potential entry routes. The one across the water is my safest best for not spooking deer as the other one is easier/safer but as you can see by the green lines i have to walk in through what I found to be bedding. The red lines is what I can hunt and everything else is privately owned. I know that 2 of the 4 fields (on the right side/east side of the photo closer to the street) has corn every year. Down near the creek is all dog wood and scrub brush until you cross it (going West) up the hill and then it's all hardwoods.

I personally will do a few all day sits during bow season.
I'm Looking for help as I never really hunted the side of a hill. If you guys could help me with some places to start to look for bedding, or potential stand sites/areas to begin. Maybe entry or exit routes? Maybe I'm better off walking from the street, crossing the creek and walking the lake edge?

Hey WBH

I always have hard time following descriptions of properties. Your map looks decent though. Obviously its hard to read or pinpoint bedding but ill throw out initial thoughts on it...

The property looks great! I like your idea of cutting across the water too. I cannot say exact locations bc of little definition of the terrain details... However, it looks like a really good chunk of timber to work with - including the neighboring properties being the same. I really like how the water separates everything and even though the access part is tough it gives them security.

The green outlined area looks really good. Just from what I can see it looks like thick undergrowth of some type and that is always good bedding! Anywhere w/o trees will probably hold deer or a buck. The hills will need some time to pick apart but those creeks coming together looks good too. Its hard to tell but you may have some good spots for cruising rut bucks.

You mentioned the access routes and rut hunting all day sits - I wanted to say let the sign tell you what should be done. Figure out your common winds for the area to guess general ideas about bedding locations. Check the water edges or creek bottoms for tracks, catch some tracks and then back track to bedding. Aside from cams its the fastest way to determine what is in the area. Bump the thread with your findings! Good luck
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:27 pm

These are the spots I would check out first. Green circles should be entry and exit from the bedding area you had circled in green. The upper green circle looks like a really good draw with a finger of mature timber running into the bedding area with an edge transition on each side- it should be a good travel area and an attraction to deer as a combination of multiple terrain and habitat features. North of there near the 1700 contour line may be worth checking out also.

I always like to check out the upper elevation and the blue circle is where a point and a draw combine to form a saddle on the next property but I would check out what you can of the head of that draw and point in blue circle.

The black circle should have a good creek crossing if deer are feeding in crop fields.

I would scout the rest of it also, but those are the areas I would expect to find something worthwhile.

Some do. Some don't. I just might...
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:45 pm

brancher147 wrote:These are the spots I would check out first

Nice, I thought there was topo lines at bottom of my screen checking his first map. That website wouldnt let me do anything. I liked that creek crossing part you mentioned
rhaggs1616

Unread postby rhaggs1616 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:21 pm

A lot of great information provided from the members above. This may have been said previously, but when possible and learning a new property I try to keep it somewhat simple from the start using a common scouting tactic Dan often references.

Walk the entire perimeter of the swamp along the transition line, find where the hot sign/ deer trails coming in and out are. Back track those trails to find the bedding. Once you feel you have a decent understanding of where the deer are bedding/ exiting then develop your tactic as to entry and exit and stand location. I certainly like the access from water. Looks like a great property though.
Wanabhunter

Unread postby Wanabhunter » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:20 am

Guys this is all great information and I really appreciate the help. Within the next few weeks I’ll be out there putting boots to the ground once the snow melts. I’ll keep you posted.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”