Scouting Observations

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fireforeffect

Scouting Observations

Unread postby fireforeffect » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:22 am

Scouted a property that I hunt yesterday. Thought I would share some interesting observations that I made. These observations are absolute confirmation that y'all are the smartest bunch of deer hunters since Daniel Boone!

My scouting revealed or confirmed that....
1. Bucks were skirting a well known permanent stand.
2. Bucks were leaving the bedding through areas that had almost no climbable trees.... unless you have an appropriate hang on.
3. Some of the bedding directly overlooked the typical access trail to that part of the property.
4. There's no substitute for boots on the ground scouting. Esp after the season when the fall sign is still visible, and your memory is still fresh.

Carry on Buck Slayers.

Southern Man
500 Club

Re: Scouting Observations

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:30 am

It's amazing that most people will hunt their whole life and never realize those things.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:43 am

I did the same thing over the weekend on one of my permissions, it is a mix between hill country and marsh. I learned a lot with boots on the ground looking for buck beds. Turns out the access trail to one of my stands with a southwest wind blows right into a buck bed located near marsh for one of my examples, which is a very common wind direction where I am at. I even walk right near the bedding. It is crazy, the things we overlook. This forum and Dan's videos have definitely changed my style of hunting.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:58 am

Great post!

Even though I mainly hunt open woods, hill country... some of the best buck areas in the woods hold these ingredients. In my area - cedar patches and clear cuts can be good bedding areas and there is not always a perfect tree. HO stands are important everywhere bc a guy can stop hunting trees. Saddles up the game even more. I love my climber so I still look for every opportunity to use it. With a hand climber seat I can cut weight down to 17lb(ish). Farm land or anywhere w transitions need a HO... these areas are the ones I see most where a mature buck stays in zones that dont have many trees period to hunt from. There is hardly a climber tree in the right spot. Iv made it work but it was tough.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:02 am

Darkknight54 wrote:Great post!

Even though I mainly hunt open woods, hill country... some of the best buck areas in the woods hold these ingredients. In my area - cedar patches and clear cuts can be good bedding areas and there is not always a perfect tree. HO stands are important everywhere bc a guy can stop hunting trees. Saddles up the game even more. I love my climber so I still look for every opportunity to use it. With a hand climber seat I can cut weight down to 17lb(ish). Farm land or anywhere w transitions need a HO... these areas are the ones I see most where a mature buck stays in zones that dont have many trees period to hunt from. There is hardly a climber tree in the right spot. Iv made it work but it was tough.

The things I have done in a summit climber with no harness on :whistle:

Just gonna leave it at that. Thank god I got my sticks and assault. No looking back now. Honestly thinking about taking the money I am getting for my climber (depreciated value of course :cry: ) and turning that into dans stuff when its out. I could get a brand new one free of charge but just see no need for it anymore. Used it once last year just cause I could for gun season
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:29 am

fireforeffect wrote:3. Some of the bedding directly overlooked the typical access trail to that part of the property.

I have a property I have been very successful on and generally know where the deer bed (on the east side), yet access is very limited. I can only approach this property from the south and there are two main trails. I'm thinking of creating some new access along the west side of the property and then cutting through the northern edge or middle of the property to access my stands. This has been something I have been trying to figure out for some time as I am almost positive the deer bed on spots that overlook the main access.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”