Lets hear about the your biggest mistake in 2017

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Lets hear about the your biggest mistake in 2017

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:38 am

I had way too much going on last year...I got completely maxed out and told myself screw it in regard to hunting for a while. Kinda dumb that I let it get to that point.

That's definitely the big one.

RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:59 am

JoeRE wrote:I had way too much going on last year...I got completely maxed out and told myself screw it in regard to hunting for a while. Kinda dumb that I let it get to that point.

But yet you still managed to kill several good bucks :lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:06 am

RidgeGhost wrote:
JoeRE wrote:I had way too much going on last year...I got completely maxed out and told myself screw it in regard to hunting for a while. Kinda dumb that I let it get to that point.

But yet you still managed to kill several good bucks :lol:

No kidding. Maybe that's the key. I'm hunting too much. :lol:
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:30 pm

I think my biggest mistake would be hunting too spread out when I know bucks are still in my other areas.. I just got too excited and wanted to hunt everything i scouted!. I checked my cams at the end of the season in some of my areas only to find I missed out on some opportunities.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:48 am

Crossing a deep creek at 3am with a temperature of 28 about 1200 yards from car.

Tripped over a log below water level and fell face first into the creek lone wolf smacked me on the back of the head. Muzzleloader had water all in scope and ruined it. I never made it too a tree that morning definitely a experience I hope to not repeat.

Now Everytime I drive by that area I laugh about it. Thats hunting good times.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:23 am

For me it was mostly shot angles on the deer I shot. I shot a buck and two does quartering toward me and I had trouble recovering them all. The good news here is I did the right thing after the shot and recovered them but I did lose the one doe to yotes over night. I know better than to take those shots but did it anyways thinking I wouldn't get a better shot.

I also got in a hurry one night coming down the tree and dropped my saddle platform and it landed on my bow breaking my quiver and cracking one limb. I had to tear my whole rig down in the middle of season to put new limbs on it. After that I couldn't get it to tune right and it hurt my confidence a little.

Another mistake I made was not hunting a great spot I scouted in PA after filling my WV and OH tags. I think I could have pulled off another nice buck but got lazy because I had already been successful. I should have rode that good luck streak as far as possible! :lol:
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:51 am

Not carrying my release in hand when walking to my tree location.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:57 am

Ragingun wrote:Not carrying my release in hand when walking to my tree location.

That’s a big mistake so many make. I’m ready to hunt as soon as I take my first step from my vehicle.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:28 am

Overhunting (2 nd sit) on the wrong wind. Being jazzed by a good encounter a few nights earlier, I couldn't resist a 2nd try in this spot. Set up successfully and about 1/2 hr. before closing I get blown at. I could not immediately figure it out. Laying in bed the light went on (bet I'm not the only one that's happened to). The buck knew I was there by my previous trip, cut down the hill to avoid me and caught my scent which had blown past me, sucked down a ravine, and swirled backwards to where the deer was. This spot would be what JoeRE would call a thermal hub and the wind is crazy down there.Live and learn...
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Abishai

Unread postby Abishai » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:32 am

I tell ya what, agreeing to move to Germany where there are no whitetail deer and bowhunting is illegal was definitely my biggest hunting blunder of 2017. Too bad it's gonna last until 2020. :shock:
“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:43 pm

Nov 2nd, lost a 105ish inch bigwoods public buck.
Nov 9th, lost a 128ish inch public buck.

Too over confident in my shooting, ,, didn't aim small.

A sickening feeling.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:28 pm

Abishai wrote:I tell ya what, agreeing to move to Germany where there are no whitetail deer and bowhunting is illegal was definitely my biggest hunting blunder of 2017. Too bad it's gonna last until 2020. :shock:

Ouch! That's a tough one there. Man, hanging out here is going to make you bonkers.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:59 pm

My biggest mistake happened right after a heavy snow storm. It was one of those snow storms that dumped 5-7” of really heavy, wet snow. All the branches were bent over and visibility was difficult.

The snow was still falling the morning I went hunting and I hadn’t seen a deer yet. Around 9:00am the snow stopped and I was just looking around taking in the scenery. As many on here will note, deer will get up right after a front passes, especially one that dumps a lot of rain or snow. Well, needless to say I wasn’t alert enough.

I was too caught up in the peaceful setting that I let my guard down. Again, visibility was terrible at best from the snow so I should have been on extra alert. Unfortunately, I wasn’t and a 125” 8 pointer snuck in behind me and busted me before I could even react. For up north WI this was a nice buck and I was kinda bumbed. Had I been paying more attention I have no doubt I would have had the opportunity to shoot him.

Even though he busted me I was happy that I had him figured out. He won the battle, but I hope to win the war (next year). Lesson learned.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:38 am

I made a poor shot on a broadside deer at half my maximum range. Yanked my bow arm at the end of the shot to watch the arrow I guess. Not a mistake I should be making at this point in my bowhunting career. The deer still died quickly but it definitely dented my confidence the remainder of bow season.
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:47 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Crossing a deep creek at 3am with a temperature of 28 about 1200 yards from car.

Tripped over a log below water level and fell face first into the creek lone wolf smacked me on the back of the head. Muzzleloader had water all in scope and ruined it. I never made it too a tree that morning definitely a experience I hope to not repeat.

Now Everytime I drive by that area I laugh about it. Thats hunting good times.

That sounds rough!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”