Lets hear about the your biggest mistake in 2017

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lastcast#1

Lets hear about the your biggest mistake in 2017

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:58 am

We have success threads here. I figure lets get some stories consolidated in a thread about failure. What was your biggest flub during the 2017 season? What did you learn from it, what actions will you take, or have you taken to correct it?

I use the term failure with a little implyed humour thrown in. I know most here look at failure as a learning tool and for me it is the ultimate teacher.

Chad

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Re: Lets hear about the your biggest mistake in 2017

Unread postby Tim H » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:15 am

I suppose I made a couple key mistakes in 2017 season that costs me a shot at a buck. Both times I was in the stand too late. Both times I was about an hour or two too late. It hurts but that's hunting and definitely a downside to cameras.

This buck wasn't high on my list but I'm pretty sure if he was standing in front of me this season I would have let an arrow fly. Especially since I was running out of days of vacation. He didn't have the headgear but was a decent sized deer. I missed him about a couple hours I think.

You can see the difference in times for this buck. I literally walked through less than an hour too late. Although I did have an encounter with him a few days later. I had him at 20 yards but it was a bad shot and he wasn't given me anything better so I passed. Two days later from that, my hunting partner put an arrow through him, but it was a little to high of a shot. He didn't find him, but we learned through some pics that he is still alive which is great news! ;)

Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:34 am

I doubt it's my biggest mistake, but it eats at me the most. I soft bumped a buck out of his bed. I was close and he heard me, so I set up about 60 yards down wind thinking he would circle back. That bugger came straight back on a cross wind exactly the way he ran off. I knew he would come back, but lost the debate on if I should set up right over his bed or expect a j hook. I guess my hunch on him coming back was partially because of the scrape not far away that I figured would be a destination at dusk combined with it being late October, plus that gut feeling.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:03 pm

I set up on an risky wind direction it was working ok for me. Until it changed. He started blowing an crossed up wind of me about 100 yards away.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
weatherdude

Unread postby weatherdude » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:14 pm

I had a spot on some public that I knew was holding a bunch of deer but it took me the better part of the season to come up with a plan to hunt it. It was a super thick area about a mile back and I had to cross a creek to get to it. I didn't have money to buy waders so I was banking on being able to find a downed tree to cross it. Well I found a tree to cross but it took me about 20 minutes of walking up the creek. When I got half way across the tree it started to sink and when I got across it stayed sunk. SO no getting back across that way! But oh well time to hunt. So I'm about an hour and a half behind schedule and start creeping into where I planned to set up. I'm about 50 yards from my intended location, taking about 15 seconds for each step, and my next step lands on a dry branch that made a snapping sound heard for a mile. Six deer jumped up and crashed through the trees. Couldn't really see them but I thought I could hear antlers bumping off of branches. I was pretty bummed but decided to just set up on the ground in some thick grass nearby. Didn't see any other activity that night but I learned that I'll definitely be back in that spot next fall and that I probably need to get there before daylight with a set of waders on!

And boy did I have a rodeo getting back across that creek in the dark :lol:
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:33 pm

Late Octoberish I was hunting an island in the marsh. Shot a doe at 3:30, she ran 30 yards off the island into the tails and went down. Alot of activity that day with small bucks goofin around harrassing does. With all the excitement I decided it would be wise to hunt til dark. 5 minutes before closing time I decide to climb down and pack up.A buddy was waiting in the parking lot, long drag ahead, hmmm , any other lame excuses?

Dumb move. Get to the base of the tree and I hear loud sloshing footsteps closing in on the island fast.
Turn my head and crash crash, glimpse of tine and gone. Big deer. I call that a flub rather than a learning experience, because I know better!

Chad
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:59 pm

It had all the makeings of a great story oct 26th I shined a field it was about a 1 hr 20 min after dark and a big 10 was out. I had a idea of where he was bedding based on what time he was out. I hadn't scouted it in 8 years so I went home cyber scouted and made a plan.
Oct 27th Had a half day at work so I got to woods early. Took long way around not to have my wind blow into bedding. On way in I found what I belive to be his she'd from last year about 200 yards from where I believe bedding to be. Image
Closer I got started seeing everything you want rubs scrapes all really fresh. I push farther to the tip from a distance I pick my tree. I get to the tree and it's way too small for me to feel comfortable with climber . Wish I brought stand in sticks. So I pick another tree 30 yards from that tree. I was only in my tree for 2 hours and from behind me I hear a twig snap. I can't believe it hear he comes but going into bedding not comeing from. Closest shot I had was 40 yards I ended up missing. But he walked 10 yards past tree I was gunna originally sit. I learned to trust my instincts. Trust what I read in the woods if a certain spot screams to you gotta sit hear then you gotta sit there :o still a little hurt by that one. But you learn
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:25 pm

2017 I made more mistakes than I care to admit. And probably even more I'm not aware of. Anyone of these could have cost me my buck tag, but I stuck it out and had a lil luck.

1st mistake I spent 95% of my post season scouting on just one buck and counted my chickens b4 they were hatched. When I got the boot from this property shortly after the season started, I found myself doing more hoping than actual hunting. I will never put all my eggs in one basket again.

2nd mistake. Late November I past a high percentage shot on a mature buck I would have been perfectly happy to put my tag on. When things started to head south, I really regretted my decision. If it's a animal you are happy with a bird in the hand is always best.

3rd mistake I didn't listen to my gut and prior experiences. I hunted a property blind for the first time, upon setting up I realized I was not in the best spot but was lazy and didn't feel like moving. At closing time watched a good buck exit right where I thought. We only get so many chances, and missing out on one due to stupidity is a tough one to swallow.

Sure I prob made more these are just the ones that standout to me.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
NH Teufelhund

Unread postby NH Teufelhund » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:31 pm

Every year my main takeaway is “I should have gone deeper” and this year is the same. I’ve only got 4 seasons behind me and I started like an idiot in the middle of the woods. Every year I figure out that I should have gone deeper into the thick, or the swamps Etc.

This year is the same. I hunted a swamp edge bc I fell in love with a mature 8 point and his scrapes but he never showed up later than 330 am so I should have gotten more aggressive and charged into the swamp instead of hunting the edge.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:50 pm

Biggest mistake was not having access through cattails planned out. Hurt me twice, both were stands I’d never hunted.

The first instance I blazed a new trail thru cats so thick I’d used every cuss word in the book 37 times before I made it the 100 yards through them. Took me an extra half hour or more and didn’t get in early enough.

2nd time the cattails were actually a floating bog and I had to abort and head to a different stand. Had never tried it before freeze up and kept breaking through. No go. I did find a route after the hunt. I can only wonder if the big 10 came back to bed on that island that morning.

This summer I will fight the mosquitoes and blaze my trails ahead of time. I’ll stop 20 yards shy to keep me scent out of the good stuff.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:02 pm

Early to mid October I went into an island I had hunted the previous year ( late season ) and had a 145 inch 10 pointer come in. Entering the island on the down wind side (October hunt) I saw a fresh scrape. I stupidity passed the scrape and sat in a tree that I could have killed the 10 pointer out of the previous late season.

I had a 2 year old come in behind me, work the scrape, cross my track and go on his way ( he ignored my scent track). 15 to 30 minutes later I heard splashing and then a deer entered the island and hit the scrape. He started walking ( following the earlier buck's trail ) hit my track and locked up until dark. Never laid eyes on the buck, but I have a feeling it was the same buck from the year before.

After the fact I told myself "hunt fresh sign, you idiot " :lol:

A month later I got a text from a fellow Beast, the buck was killed in November less than a half mile from where I was sitting :oops:

Lesson learned.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:10 pm

Made several as usual. Biggest I made was in late January on public land in Ohio. I had walked/still hunted about 6-8 miles in the snow. Had a great day and could have shot several does but couldn’t find any nice bucks to shoot. As I was working my way back out I stopped to peak down a hollow and immediately saw a buck. I looked at him through the scope and decided that he was probably a 2 1/2 old 9 pt and that I would pass on him. I watched him for about 30-45 secs and then he turned his head towards me. I had totally underestimated him and his rack as he was well over 20” wide inside. He was standing at around 125 yds which is a chip shot with my muzzleloader. I pulled up and had only one small sapling in between me and him. I thought I could slip it by the small tree, steadied the crosshairs and pulled the trigger. In my head I was already thinking about the short 1/4 mile downhill drag in the snow and how easy it was all going to be. I couldn’t believe my eyes when the deer didn’t even flinch when the mz cracked. To make matters worse an absolute stud took off running about 50 yards in front of the buck I was shooting at that I hadn’t even seen. I was so upset with myself that i didn’t even reload my mz for the rest of the walk out.

Lesson #1- don’t count your chickens before they hatch
Lesson #2- wait for a clear shot
Lesson #3- make a complete scan of the area when your looking at new territory I just walked into
Lesson #4- don’t be an idiot and walk out of there after missing when I could have easily backtracked them right back to their exact beds.

Looking back after the hunt it made complete sense for those bucks to be doing what they were doing and when they were doing it. I know the general area they were bedded and they were going towards some bigger woods where the northern oak trees still had plenty of acorns on the ground. I’m planning on a scouting trip back there next month to put more pieces of the puzzle together in case similar conditions repeat themselves.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:27 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:

A month later I got a text from a fellow Beast, the buck was killed in November less than a half mile from where I was sitting :oops:

Sorry Neil. Always hate to be the bearer of bad news. :doh:
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:50 pm

WV Bowhunter wrote:Made several as usual. Biggest I made was in January (so it was really in 2018) on public land in Ohio. I had walked/still hunted about 6-8 miles in the snow. Had a great day and could have shot several does but couldn’t find any nice bucks to shoot. As I was working my way back out I stopped to peak down a hollow and immediately saw a buck. I looked at him through the scope and decided that he was probably a 2 1/2 old 9 pt and that I would pass on him. I watched him for about 30-45 secs and then he turned his head towards me. I had totally underestimated him and his rack as he was well over 20” wide inside. He was standing at around 125 yds which is a chip shot with my muzzleloader. I pulled up and had only one small sapling in between me and him. I thought I could slip it by the small tree, steadied the crosshairs and pulled the trigger. In my head I was already thinking about the short 1/4 mile downhill drag in the snow and how easy it was all going to be. I couldn’t believe my eyes when the deer didn’t even flinch when the mz cracked. To make matters worse an absolute stud took off running about 50 yards in front of the buck I was shooting at that I hadn’t even seen. I was so upset with myself that i didn’t even reload my mz for the rest of the walk out.

Lesson #1- don’t count your chickens before they hatch
Lesson #2- wait for a clear shot
Lesson #3- make a complete scan of the area when your looking at new territory I just walked into
Lesson #4- don’t be an idiot and walk out of there after missing when I could have easily backtracked them right back to their exact beds.

Looking back after the hunt it made complete sense for those bucks to be doing what they were doing and when they were doing it. I know the general area they were bedded and they were going towards some bigger woods where the northern oak trees still had plenty of acorns on the ground. I’m planning on a scouting trip back there next month to put more pieces of the puzzle together in case similar conditions repeat themselves.

Didn’t proofread what I typed very well, should have started early January in late muzzleloader season. So really 2018.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:36 pm

Started this season off learning a new way to hunt, mobile, close to bedding, hot sign. I made tons of mistakes, for sure.I did get my first deer, though!
Aside from muffing quiet set ups, struggles with "hunting" for the right climber friendly trees, not getting to the spot early enough... all that newbie jazz, there were a couple things that stood out.

1) I was back in a tree for the first time October 26th, five days after I shot my 9 point, when a 10 of the same young age class came in 10 yards from me. I had pre-decided that hunt I was going to only shoot a 3.5 or older buck since it was still pre-rut, so I passed. That would be the last buck I had in shooting range on the season. :doh:
I've seen it written above...a bird in the hand, huh?
I did enjoy many hunts that followed that one I wouldn't have been on had I tagged out, so that's cool. And I did learn much since.
2) I had a wonderful opportunity to get some extra late season hunting in as the neighboring county had an extended month to the season for management. I had kind of burned out toward late December, a little disappointed I couldn't get on a late season buck. I didn't get aggressive right away learning the new spot, then got hit with the flu. Didn't have the fire to get back into the freeze for a week post flu. When my wife said" we are about out of venison, you better get out there ", I drug my feet out in the snow and cold to find...melted beds, piles of fresh crap, and more tracks than the local railroad! Fire re-lit!!! Too bad not enough time left to pattern and close the deal. Tag soup... :cry:
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”