Have you ever seen a melanistic deer in the wild?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Re: Have you ever seen a melanistic deer in the wild?

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:30 am

All this time I was beginning to wonder if I was the only black man that hunted whitetail ( every picture I've ever seen of a guy holding a deer, the man's been white).

Hats off to American Whitetail for finding a picture of a melanistic man holding a melanistic deer! That's going to have me laughing my but off all day.
:o :lol: :laughing-rolling:

Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:25 pm

Net Guy wrote:I’ve seen several albino deers but never melanistic ones. My dad trapped a melanistic coon once which was really cool. It was jet black with zero stripes or other markings whatsoever.
I have a coon that's red colored and blond that I tie fly's with real cool colors for a coon in my area.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:36 pm

I'm starting to see a lot of black grey squirrels in my area over the last 5 years or so I would love to understand why this happens its really cool to see. I honesty kind of don't want to shoot animals like this its real cool to see and I hope they keep making more.
tjraley2

Unread postby tjraley2 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:25 pm

On my first ever deer hunt to actually carry a rifle I saw two melanistic fawns. My father and I were hunting Washington County AL in 2002. Two melanistic fawns walked into the field we were on. In this area, if it’s brown and has no spots, it dies. So I was ready for the shot but my dad, being from the UP of Michigan had no experience with Southern deer, so when these two black fawns that were the size of medium sized dogs walked out, he wasn’t sure if they were actually white tails, so he wouldn’t let me shoot. We haven’t seen one since.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:36 pm

I've never saw melanistic deer nor a 200" buck, so if everyone can pass both so us less fortunate hunters get to enjoy them that would be great!
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:12 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
Net Guy wrote:I’ve seen several albino deers but never melanistic ones. My dad trapped a melanistic coon once which was really cool. It was jet black with zero stripes or other markings whatsoever.
I have a coon that's red colored and blond that I tie fly's with real cool colors for a coon in my area.

That sounds awesome! Ever tie a musky or pike fly? I fly fish for them quite a bit and those color combos sounds like they’d be deadly.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:48 am

Net Guy wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

That sounds awesome! Ever tie a musky or pike fly? I fly fish for them quite a bit and those color combos sounds like they’d be deadly.

all I ever really do is nymph fish but that color works great for matching the hatch
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:50 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
Net Guy wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

all I ever really do is nymph fish but that color works great for matching the hatch

I chop the hair up real short then blend it with the under fur in a coffee grinder to make dubbing.
harold

Unread postby harold » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:05 am

ghoasthunter wrote:I'm starting to see a lot of black grey squirrels in my area over the last 5 years or so I would love to understand why this happens its really cool to see. I honesty kind of don't want to shoot animals like this its real cool to see and I hope they keep making more.

Same here, I'm seeing more and more too. I watched two black grey squirrels together while on stand in rifle season this year. That's the first time I've ever seen two together. A few years ago I was keeping tabs on an albino squirrel behind my family's cabin. I saw him for a couple month's then he was gone. He was too easy of a target for the predators.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”