Have you ever seen a melanistic deer in the wild?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Motivated
500 Club

Have you ever seen a melanistic deer in the wild?

Unread postby Motivated » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:18 am

I had never heard of this prior to a few days ago when I was researching deer coloring and pigmentation. I did a quick search here with the words "melanic" and "melanistic", but nothing resulted, so I thought I would link to these articles for others as well.

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/n ... elanistic/

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/fi ... -whitetail

Has anyone here on the Beast seen a melanistic deer in the wild? The odds are better in Texas, but they haven been taken in multiple states, including Pennsylvania.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Babshaft
500 Club

Re: Have you ever seen a melanistic deer in the wild?

Unread postby Babshaft » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:22 am

I had no idea that existed! So I've definitely never seen anything like that in the wild. That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing that.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:39 am

I have seen pics of wild ones. They are more rare than an albino. I had a big piebald buck I chased for awhile that looked cool. Would have made an awesome mount, guess he died of old age cause I would have heard of him being killed.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:04 am

That's ironic...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:07 am

Wicked looking deer!
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:13 am

Motivated wrote:I had never heard of this prior to a few days ago when I was researching deer coloring and pigmentation. I did a quick search here with the words "melanic" and "melanistic", but nothing resulted, so I thought I would link to these articles for others as well.

Has anyone here on the Beast seen a melanistic deer in the wild? The odds are better in Texas, but they haven been taken in multiple states, including Pennsylvania.
my dad shot this buck in Adirondacks in 90sImage it was jet black and gray
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:30 am

In one of the Wensels books they were keeping tabs on one Barry named Tyrone. Believe a neighbor shot it b4 it was able to mature, but not positive.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:32 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
Motivated wrote:I had never heard of this prior to a few days ago when I was researching deer coloring and pigmentation. I did a quick search here with the words "melanic" and "melanistic", but nothing resulted, so I thought I would link to these articles for others as well.

That is awesome! Did he have it mounted? That's a once in a lifetime right there...
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:42 pm

No I've never seen piebald, albino, or melanistic deer.

I did watch a grey squirrel mixed in with a bunch of other squirrels that had a white stripe that ran the length of its body along its back from the tip of its tail to the tip of its nose. I thought about shooting it with my .270 but decided against it.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:04 pm

There’s an area near where I live that produces the odd one. There was a real big mature buck 150+ that a good friend of mine saw for three years straight but could never close the deal on him. One year he got a shot but totally missed him. During that same time frame he also saw a melanistic fawn which would be about 4 years old now if he has survived. I’ll be keeping trail cameras in that spot this year- now that he doesn’t hunt it any more.

Personally I’ve never seen one but man o man how much fun would it be to get on a track of a big mature Canadian melanistic buck....sigh.
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:16 pm

Dhurtubise wrote:There’s an area near where I live that produces the odd one. There was a real big mature buck 150+ that a good friend of mine saw for three years straight but could never close the deal on him. One year he got a shot but totally missed him. During that same time frame he also saw a melanistic fawn which would be about 4 years old now if he has survived. I’ll be keeping trail cameras in that spot this year- now that he doesn’t hunt it any more.

Personally I’ve never seen one but man o man how much fun would it be to get on a track of a big mature Canadian melanistic buck....sigh.

Man that’d be unreal. I’ve never seen or heard of one in southern or eastern Ontario. Here’s hoping that fawn survived and he’s a big boy you can get a crack at!
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:41 pm

Motivated wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

That is awesome! Did he have it mounted? That's a once in a lifetime right there...

just a shoulder mount that buck was old too his teeth were about flat. every once in a while we would see deer with that in the Adirondacks in one place we hunted. but that was in the 90s I haven't been to that area since 98. its one of the most remote areas up there so you never know that gene could still haunt those woods.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
BigStick

Unread postby BigStick » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:34 pm

I’ve never heard of them before. Very cool looking deer. I’ve been seeing up to 5 albino deer recently on my drive home and thought that was pretty rare!
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:36 pm

I’ve seen several albino deers but never melanistic ones. My dad trapped a melanistic coon once which was really cool. It was jet black with zero stripes or other markings whatsoever.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:08 am

Never seen a melanistic but have heard of them.

Back when our deer herd population was crazy high (90's and early 2000's) I saw many albino, and saw 3 together once side by side. I still see piebald a couple a year.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”