Live from the field 2019

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Re: Live from the field 2019

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:11 pm

The Mediocre Hunter wrote:So it only took half of a decade but it's finally happened! Shoot my first deer/buck and on public land to top it off. Almost didn't get him. There had been a doe feeding there for about 2 hours. Then I heard a grunt. I started looking around where the noise came but couldn't move much as doe was behind me. He walked out heading perpendicular to me then decided to switch where he was going and walked 7 yards parallel to me but I couldn't reposition myself because he would of seen movement. So once he walked behind me I looked slowly to make sure where they were both at. I was hoping he would hook to my left behind me so I could try for a shot but he just kept going straight further and further away. At this point I got a little bummed as I hadn't been at the right angle for his approach and lost the chance. But instead decided to keep my head in the game and reposition myself while being careful not to spook the doe. As I'm moving slowly I get a freaking cramp in my hamstring and it takes as I can to not give in to the pain. Once I get it to calm down he's already further away I just see his rear. I put my gun up to my shoulder and decide to follow him in case he turned at all. Well he decided to stop for a second and turned to look back at the doe, since he had already passed her by about 50yds and I took my second chance! Thankfully there was still 8 minutes left of shooting light. Longest minutes of my life. He's not a giant or a mature buck but, he's mine! Thank you guys for all the advice you give and info you post. It really helps out things together.IMG_20191207_174458.jpg

Man!! High fives brother! Awesome how hunts go down sometimes. Glad you were anlento pull through and get him down

Those hammey surprises seem to get ya at the very worse possible time

CONGRATULATIONS!! :dance: :clap:

LukeTM
Facebook: IG: Racks_and_Rivers

Unread postby LukeTM » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:30 pm

Well, I haven’t fallen asleep yet. Laid in bed all night! The clock struck 4 so I guess I’m going to go for it!

Haven’t hunted much. Don’t need the venison. Mostly a peaceful insomnia treatment. However, this is my last chance at a buck (WI muzzleloader) for the year. Headed just down the road at a property that I think is overlooked. Not expecting anything at all but how cool would it be to run into a nice buck? 8-)

Beast mode.
I hunt, I fish and I sing guitar solos in songs.
IG: Racks_and_Rivers
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:13 pm

Fixing to grab my stuff and head in for a ground attack. Ghillie, waldrop seat, and recurve. Does better be on their game this morning if they want to make it out alive.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:20 am

20191208_071500-800x600.jpg

Last morning of gun season. Common sun this wind is killing me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:58 am

Good luck guys!!! Hope you have a great sit today :pray:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:16 am

Good luck fellas
LukeTM

Unread postby LukeTM » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:20 am

While setting up in the dark, I opted to date the fat chick.
Once it got light out, I realized I was dating the dead fat chick. :shock:

15’ up and 20mph winds was skeeeetchy!
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:38 am

Thanks guys!

To everyone going out there today..... Blow them away! Knock them dead!
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:16 am

Well the pumpkin army just marched through. Time to jump ship. I might just still hunt through midday.
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:45 am

What a hunt this morning. I saw 4 bucks, a doe, and 15 gobblers. I had my target buck at 25 yards with no shot. He was with the doe, along with 2 pesky smaller bucks. He is a freakin beast of a deer. I wonder how many times he's gonna laugh in my face before I get a shot.
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:13 am

Getting outside of my comfort zone tonight. Trying a bump and dump from the ground. Some deer jumped when I got close to my sniper hide so I opted to push on and hunker down, should learn something nonetheless
LukeTM

Unread postby LukeTM » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:15 am

blackwidow wrote:What a hunt this morning. I saw 4 bucks, a doe, and 15 gobblers. I had my target buck at 25 yards with no shot. He was with the doe, along with 2 pesky smaller bucks. He is a freakin beast of a deer. I wonder how many times he's gonna laugh in my face before I get a shot.

It’ll happen. I can feel it.

Wasn’t going to hunt at all this weekend. But here I am, last sit for something with antlers! Planned to do a drive by trail camera drop on my way past a small spot if I saw so much as a track.
This is an island funnel in a patchy dogwood/cattail marsh right next to the road. Never see a car parked anywhere near it. Found loads of big tracks and poop! Needless to say, I didn’t make it to the other spot. Don’t like the wind but it’s a Hail Mary! May have pushed a hair too far.... :?
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:25 am

I'm in tree.
Found a guys climber on the way in ontop ridge.
I cut about 150 yards downwind theirs a thick pine edge and bedding nearby.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:32 am

Just got setup for a ground hunt. Met someone in the parking lot for the first time since I started hunting here. He’s heading to where I was last night but the wind is wrong so he will be blowing out the deer in that section. Seemed like a nice enough guy. Good luck to everyone out tonight.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:23 am

Good lucks everyone out this afternoon

Weve been setup with an unfavorable wind, but its off just enough to make it work if we’re on top of our game. My daughter is going after an 8pt thats been making his way through here a little frequently.

Fingers crossed that something wants to lurk through this little rut funnel this evening :pray:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”