For guys who hunt the south.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Southern Buck

For guys who hunt the south.

Unread postby Southern Buck » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:20 am

I just wanted to recommend to you guys a podcast I heard recently that is one of the best I’ve ever listened to especially for those of us in the Deep South. It’s almost as if Dan had a twin brother who was separated at birth and grew up in Georgia. Unfortunately, Mr. Glen passed away yesterday. The world lost not only a great woodsman, but by all accounts an all around great human being. Thought you guys might enjoy.

The Southern Outdoorsmen podcast with Mr. Glen Solomon
Episode 116

RIP Mr. Solomon

But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. John 20:31
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Re: For guys who hunt the south.

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:56 am

I agree, that was a really good podcast. Very sad to hear of his passing yesterday, much too soon.
Not all those who wander are lost...
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:55 am

Agreed, hands down the best Southern deer hunting podcast I’ve heard. Glen was a top notch woodsmen and went out doing what he loved, dragging a big old hog out of the woods.

Extreme heat is no joke y’all, be careful and please keep the Solomon family in your thoughts & prayers :pray:
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Chris_D

Unread postby Chris_D » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:44 am

I listened to it today. I enjoyed it. I found it interesting that he seems more keen on hunting beds in the morning more like Andre. But I also had to keep reminding myself that the rut in Ga is crazy and he is almost always hunting the rut. I think that would make the bucks tend to go to bed a little later. I still think it takes the perfect setup to hunt them in the morning as far as entry and wind. I used to hunt pines in Arkansas when I gun hunted and used a lot of the same techniques. Especially the super high climbs. Would be tough to shoot a deer at ten yards with a bow at 40 feet up but if you practiced it I’m sure it’s doable.
My prayers to his family! You could tell from the interview he was a great person!!
dannyboy

Unread postby dannyboy » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:11 pm

Twenty Up wrote:Agreed, hands down the best Southern deer hunting podcast I’ve heard. Glen was a top notch woodsmen and went out doing what he loved, dragging a big old hog out of the woods.

Extreme heat is no joke y’all, be careful and please keep the Solomon family in your thoughts & prayers :pray:

I guess a heart attack took him out
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:28 am

Best podcast I’ve listened to as far as southern deer hunting goes. Everything he said I’ve experienced especially hunting in the pines. His level of dedication and passion was a thing I really looked up too!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:03 am

Damn. That’s terrible. RIP.

I will certainly give this a listen.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:10 am

His son said that Mr Soloman called his wife and told her that he was driving himself to the hospital with chest pains. He made it to the hospital, but collapsed upon arrival. He had a blood clot that traveled to his lungs. They ruled out a heart attack.

Unsurprisingly, his son found the quartered hog in a cooler in his vehicle. He also had videod himself working the hog up.
Not all those who wander are lost...
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:18 pm

Fantastic podcast. Definitely a wise woodsman. Hate to hear of his sudden passing. Prayers for his family.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
dewayne

Unread postby dewayne » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:24 pm

I haven’t listened to that one yet but it is lined up for tomorrow
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:39 pm

Good podcasts. A lot of correlation with beast tactics. Confirms a lot of what I have seen in deep south pine thickets. 100% agree with his morning approach - getting in far earlier than what most do is key and the late mid morning movement. Good stuff hate to hear of his passing. Getting him and Mr. Womack together would have been an epic southern hunting podcast.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:21 am

Wow, prayers to his family. This podcast is definitely worth listening to for all of us here in the south. Very similar to beast tactics, but some slight variations that are very helpful here. Getting into the thick stuff early and setting up over beds on a morning sit seems like the best strategy for many of the spots that I hunt where getting in undetected in the afternoon would be near impossible without parachuting in.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:59 am

Thanks for the info, why I love this site.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:41 am

Im sure they say in the podcast but what did this dude do for a living?
Andy1965

Unread postby Andy1965 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:10 am

We definitely lost a good one to soon. I’ve spoken with him a few times on another forum I believe he said he worked with the railroad then but don’t quote me on that. I know the last few years he wrote for gon magazine about every month either on fishing or hunting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”