Getting Ready

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NYBackcountry
500 Club

Re: Getting Ready

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:29 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
NYBackcountry wrote:Welp, thank god Dave didn’t decide to become a serial killer.....

who says??????

:lol:

In all seriousness, great post and very timely. I really like the emphasis on the importance of prep specifically for AM sets. I found this out the hard way. Part of my prep consists of a tack at stand height as well. I’ve had many hunts ruined when the sun comes up and the branches start to appear.

I do really like the system overall, although it’s detailed it’s one of the more simple structures I’ve seen. I’m also a visual person so the single page dedicated to a set with maps is very cool. 8-)

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:19 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
NYBackcountry wrote:Welp, thank god Dave didn’t decide to become a serial killer.....

who says??????

https://youtu.be/bHoqL7DFevc

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:57 am

Holy crap, that is some serious prep work. I'm sensing you are retired and/ or have some military background? Very impressive amount of work and details you have compiled there
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:32 am

Legit!!! :clap: Great share Dave, that gave me a few ideas actually
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:15 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:Holy crap, that is some serious prep work. I'm sensing you are retired and/ or have some military background? Very impressive amount of work and details you have compiled there

retired USAF planner, now I run the plans, programs and exercise branch at an Air Force base..... I love planning ;)
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:15 am

Dewey wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:

who says??????

lol love it
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:48 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:

who says??????

lol love it

I love Chianti
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:09 pm

Very nice Dave!

I have a similar system but you take it over the top. I use 3”x5” notecards to draw a map of the stand location and the anticipated travel routes of the deer as well as the wind that’s needed. I use a GPS to navigate and on the back of the card, I put the coordinates of the tree, the coordinates of any entry spots, the type of tree I marked, and any other pertinent info.

Since I hunt a lot of public land spots out of state, I put a tack at the very base of the tree so that it doesn’t draw attention to it and you really have to be looking for it in order to find it. It really helps though because it’s amazing how you can mark a stand in the spring and it can be completely unrecognizable when you go back to hunt it.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:05 pm

xpauliber wrote:Very nice Dave!

I have a similar system but you take it over the top. I use 3”x5” notecards to draw a map of the stand location and the anticipated travel routes of the deer as well as the wind that’s needed. I use a GPS to navigate and on the back of the card, I put the coordinates of the tree, the coordinates of any entry spots, the type of tree I marked, and any other pertinent info.

Since I hunt a lot of public land spots out of state, I put a tack at the very base of the tree so that it doesn’t draw attention to it and you really have to be looking for it in order to find it. It really helps though because it’s amazing how you can mark a stand in the spring and it can be completely unrecognizable when you go back to hunt it.

Yep. I am starting to see why so many struggle with morning hunts, going in the dark, to an area that you have not messed with for 6-12 months, and in areas where it is thick with understory - PREP and ENTRY is vital.... many rely on their "memory" or "wooodsmanship" - which is often seriously over estimated. Preparation is the KEY.
botemple

Unread postby botemple » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:47 pm

Great stuff Dave!!!! I log my stand locations, best winds to hunt that stand, and deer movement as well as pictures of target deer with my Scoutlook app. Your system takes it much further, but the app helps me for when I'm in the field and have to make an adjustment as I only have to pull out my phone instead of my 3 ring binder. I could see this system combined with my Scoutlook information could be a recipe for success. I really like that you even took pictures of the natural browse.
Jamielukas

Unread postby Jamielukas » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:03 am

DaveT1963 wrote:This is an older video but since we have so many new Beast thought I would re-share. Why now? because, IMO/E, during season is when we need to start keeping accurate records/notes for future hunts and even next season. I have found my log book to be one of my most valuable tools to remind me what I learn as I go through a hunting season and to help determine where I want to concentrate scouting, tree prep and even hunting for next season. So often while I am hunting I see a nice 2.5/3.5 that will be a target animal the following year. Over the course of a season I would forget much of this info if I didn't keep a good log system.

And for finding stands I prep 1 to 2 years ago, the details on where it is, how to access and what gear i need and how to climb is invaluable.

This is just my system, hopefully it will encourage some others to get a system that works for YOU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HhsIU8qXYs

Great idea! Im making one similar this year and keeping notes

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”