Cwd positive

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jmitch

Cwd positive

Unread postby Jmitch » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:15 pm

Just need to vent a little, the buck I shot on 11/23 came back as cwd positive just now. I've killed 2 bucks in 3 yrs, one in 17 and one this year and they both have been positive both from the same property. All the does I've shot have been negative tho. Just frustrating to haul one out of the woods cut it up etc then get this news. Not sure what a guy came do about it tho? Guess I'm not quite done this year after all and I will get an extra buck tag for 2020 but I'd just as rather him be negative. Anyway just needed to vent a little thats all

Jackson Marsh

Re: Cwd positive

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:33 pm

That's a bummer. I've only had two deer tested and both came back negative. Hopefully you can tag a doe or two during late season, if that's an option.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:56 am

Boy, that’s awful disheartening.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:07 am

So are you seeing "sick" deer on this property? Or dead deer? Just curious if some have it but don't succumb to it!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:21 am

Do they let you keep it still?
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
lyndon57

Unread postby lyndon57 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:23 am

Yes they let you keep it.
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:40 am

stash59 wrote:So are you seeing "sick" deer on this property? Or dead deer? Just curious if some have it but don't succumb to it!!!

Have found dead bucks the last few springs that died over winter but no idea what caused it. Maybe happening more than it used to but hard to tell. Had one that was obviously sick all summer that disappeared around early October and found out a neighbor killed one that looked real sick/nasty that I'd never seen before. That one was tested and tested positive. Both positives I've had were otherwise 100% healthy looking bucks. Test maybe 4 or 5 does in the last 3 yrs and all negatives.

Sucks but its here to stay i guess.
walleyeralph

Unread postby walleyeralph » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:01 pm

What county.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:20 pm

I have never nor will I ever test any deer I kill. Especially if it was from my property. Why so when they decide they wanna start eradicating again they target my area uhh no thanks. I’m no more concerned today than I was when all this fed talk started.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:20 pm

Cwd talk
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:27 pm

tim wrote:I have never nor will I ever test any deer I kill. Especially if it was from my property. Why so when they decide they wanna start eradicating again they target my area uhh no thanks. I’m no more concerned today than I was when all this fed talk started.

Cool :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:28 pm

walleyeralph wrote:What county.

Sauk
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:19 pm

So some of you eat it and don't worry and others you rhrow it out? Here in PA i feel like we're maybe 10 years behind you guys in this CWD battle. They sent in shooters to cull our deer back and way too many tags being given out. 2 does last year off my family farm were positive. I shot a nice 8 and i didn't get him tested, i ate him and didn't care. He seemed perfectly healthy, he was probably 3.5 years old. Now I just read a proposal that includes getting a 2nd buck tag because studies show bucks more likely to carry the disease than does. Things are getting nuts around here. :violin:

Did hunter numbers in Wisconsin go down significantly with the CWD? We lost about 30,000 i believe in 2017-2018.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:02 pm

I had a muley tested this year and came back negative. Yay!

Wouldn't eat the deer if positive - do you take other similar risks in life? At least the does come back negative and can be eaten.

I can't (for the life of me) understand why folks take chances like that. Maybe it is cause my wife has health issues and I spend tons of $,$$$ on it yearly. Health issues are to be avoided at all cost - if I even suspected my deer meat was bad it would all go out in trash next day - do questions asked. Not worth it, not at all.

Sorry about the CWD in your area. Have you researched it enough to know if it is cyclical or if it is there to stay?
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:07 pm

rfickes87 wrote:So some of you eat it and don't worry and others you rhrow it out? Here in PA i feel like we're maybe 10 years behind you guys in this CWD battle. They sent in shooters to cull our deer back and way too many tags being given out. 2 does last year off my family farm were positive. I shot a nice 8 and i didn't get him tested, i ate him and didn't care. He seemed perfectly healthy, he was probably 3.5 years old. Now I just read a proposal that includes getting a 2nd buck tag because studies show bucks more likely to carry the disease than does. Things are getting nuts around here. :violin:

Did hunter numbers in Wisconsin go down significantly with the CWD? We lost about 30,000 i believe in 2017-2018.

This is what I don't get. Wisconsin showed that trying to thin the herd had no effect on lessening CWD. Yet all of these states just starting to get it. Are going down the same road. Why are they so ignorant. That professor at Penn State seems to be behind alot of it. Rehashing stuff WI already figured out. He's guaranteed himself a paycheck for a few years!!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”