Average beasts success ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Your biggest buck scores:

170 or bigger
10%
160 to 170
8%
150 to 160
13%
140 to 150
19%
130 to 140
16%
120 to 130
13%
110 to 120
10%
100 to 110
6%
below 100
4%

Total votes: 178
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Average beasts success ?

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:01 pm

Lets do a poll, you can be anonymous if you desire... I would like to know what the average beasts top buck scores (gross score) ... A guess is fine, I dont measure any of mine. Please click one of the following answers:

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Average beasts success ?

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:59 pm

I don’t measure nor have ever measured a single buck I’ve killed. Always kinda felt it would take a lil away from my over all excitement and experience. I mean let’s face it scoring bucks is a big Peter contest. A descent 10 pt 2.5 year old will often dust a old grey public 8 pt. I’ve always loved this site cause it wasn’t a D measuring contest. Effort and real world satisfaction is what has always mattered. But to answer the question I would guess my avg real world buck 20 years in is in the 120s to low 140s to trip my trigger. Think a goal of 170 is possible in a lifetime of hard hunting. But again scores are for sporting events not hunting. Amen an pass the mustard :lol:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:13 pm

I voted 150-160 I killed a 155 in Illinois with a muzzleloader but as far as home state bow kill my best was a 147 here in VA. I used to always get my bucks scored for P&Y but in the last 3-4 years it seems the mature bucks I’ve gotten on have some crazy character that takes them out of the book. Kinda leaning away from the snob clubs these days but I still like to do a total gross myself just to see what I’ve got.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:21 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:I don’t measure nor have ever measured a single buck I’ve killed. Always kinda felt it would take a lil away from my over all excitement and experience. I mean let’s face it scoring bucks is a big Peter contest. A descent 10 pt 2.5 year old will often dust a old grey public 8 pt. I’ve always loved this site cause it wasn’t a D measuring contest. Effort and real world satisfaction is what has always mattered. But to answer the question I would guess my avg real world buck 20 years in is in the 120s to low 140s to trip my trigger. Think a goal of 170 is possible in a lifetime of hard hunting. But again scores are for sporting events not hunting. Amen an pass the mustard :lol:

Its really not about the score.. I am on board with that. But, everyone gives a rough estimate to gauge size. Just trying to see what real world expectations really are. Trust me, I dont want to measure any part of you.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:24 pm

It would be nice if there were a way to break it down by stae or region too... In some places a 170 is a buck a guy can achieve with work, effort, time and luck, in other places it would be a state record.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:40 pm

I voted 140-150

I'm thinking my biggest is low 140s never scored it. What scoring system do you count all the deductions of Boone and Crocket or the real total inches of Buckmasters.

Some bucks get cheated hard by the Boone and Crockett scoring system.

My area varies alot in size I would say our average is 120-130. We do occasionally get some quite a bit larger.

Booners do exist here but are extremely rare think I've seen 4 in my lifetime in West Tn. Were definitely not known as a big buck state. Probably could be if we had better regulations and management.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:54 pm

My biggest was 142, but it was before I started beast hunting, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I've killed several bucks since in the 120s and 130s but they're few and far in between. In my area of AR an average buck will be about 100 inches, above average is 120ish and a big deer is 130+. I run a lot of cameras and we have a decent size herd and I average 25 different bucks or so on camera over a couple hundred acres and generally theres 2 maybe 3 over 125" and every 2-3 years one around 140 will show up. Biggest I've ever seen on camera was bumping 150, but he was just passing through, only had him on camera one night. I hunt some public over in the delta that the average is a little bigger and there will be a 150-160 killed over there every year, but I haven't been lucky enough to get one of them yet!
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:30 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:I don’t measure nor have ever measured a single buck I’ve killed. Always kinda felt it would take a lil away from my over all excitement and experience. I mean let’s face it scoring bucks is a big Peter contest. A descent 10 pt 2.5 year old will often dust a old grey public 8 pt. I’ve always loved this site cause it wasn’t a D measuring contest. Effort and real world satisfaction is what has always mattered. But to answer the question I would guess my avg real world buck 20 years in is in the 120s to low 140s to trip my trigger. Think a goal of 170 is possible in a lifetime of hard hunting. But again scores are for sporting events not hunting. Amen an pass the mustard :lol:

I think that is one of the biggest misconceptions about measuring deer, imho it is not at all a big peter contest. I think it is all about honoring the animal, just like a quality taxidermy job does. By having something officially measured it does more than just put a number to that animal, that data is also used by wildlife managers to assess herd health and season structure effectiveness. The clubs that are keeping the records B&C and P&Y do a lot for conservation that most people are not aware of, and the measuring program is only a small part of there club, but an essential part as it brings in new people to the club. I know its not for everyone, and thats cool with me, I just see a lot of positives from it.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:48 pm

143 gross scored by me. I don’t see anything wrong with scoring deer.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:51 pm

141" for me.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:48 pm

dan wrote:It would be nice if there were a way to break it down by stae or region too... In some places a 170 is a buck a guy can achieve with work, effort, time and luck, in other places it would be a state record.

Private vs Public also
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:03 pm

My biggest is bumping 160” bow kill on public. Have a few more close to that from public as well.

Bio1
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:52 pm

Pudster wrote:

I think that is one of the biggest misconceptions about measuring deer, imho it is not at all a big peter contest. I think it is all about honoring the animal, just like a quality taxidermy job does. By having something officially measured it does more than just put a number to that animal, that data is also used by wildlife managers to assess herd health and season structure effectiveness. The clubs that are keeping the records B&C and P&Y do a lot for conservation that most people are not aware of, and the measuring program is only a small part of there club, but an essential part as it brings in new people to the club. I know its not for everyone, and thats cool with me, I just see a lot of positives from it.

Guess it depends on how u wanna look at it. For me the day they decided to put a number and score on whitetails was not a good day for hunting. What came in the years to follow was strictly a money driven sport. I’ve personally never understood p&y or b&c record books. If you got this record book specimen why do you have to pay to enter it? Seems it should be the other way around. Is there anything else to which you break a record and have to pay to enter it in “the books”? Also, why are the minimums so low? While yes a p&y minimum buck is certainly a nice deer it isn’t what I consider record book material. I wonder if the minimums would be higher if it wasn’t a pay to get your name in a book that is essentially outdated the day it’s printed.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
RatMe

Unread postby RatMe » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:30 pm

Started the beast type stuff 3 years ago, before that I had killed a few spikes and a small 6 pt. In the last 3 years I’ve managed a 130 and a 146 in the northeast. Leeward side and a direct bed hunt respectively.

I won’t say I’m a pure beast hunter, as I’m more of a hybrid hunter, however I’m always considering bedding and how it relates to my set up. I scout a lot. Almost daily for 1/3 of the year and that’s in addition to in season scouting.

The taxidermy place I go to measures the deer as part of their service. I’m not interested in being in books, or that type of recognition, but I’m also not against others that want to.
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:10 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
Pudster wrote:

Guess it depends on how u wanna look at it. For me the day they decided to put a number and score on whitetails was not a good day for hunting. What came in the years to follow was strictly a money driven sport. I’ve personally never understood p&y or b&c record books. If you got this record book specimen why do you have to pay to enter it? Seems it should be the other way around. Is there anything else to which you break a record and have to pay to enter it in “the books”? Also, why are the minimums so low? While yes a p&y minimum buck is certainly a nice deer it isn’t what I consider record book material. I wonder if the minimums would be higher if it wasn’t a pay to get your name in a book that is essentially outdated the day it’s printed.

125” is low for the midwest but there are places across the country that good hunters can hunt their whole life and never lay eyes on a P&Y. I agree with Dan when he said it should be broken down by state or region because 125 in PA is a bigger accomplishment than a 160 in southern Iowa. Just my opinion

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”