Access strategy and ideas for stand access in hill country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cam Smith

Access strategy and ideas for stand access in hill country

Unread postby Cam Smith » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:13 am

Hey Y'all i wanted to get some insight and different ideas about how to strategically plan and access my stand location in hill country. I live in northwest Arkansas and this area is part of the ozark mountain range. So the steepness of the hills can vary a lot from place to place. I understand how thermals and wind work but i just want to get a lot of feedback and experience on how to use the wind and thermals to have a good clean access strategy. I would love tips for hill country but if anyone has suggestions for other different habitat types I'd love to hear those too!

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Access strategy and ideas for stand access in hill country

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:49 am

Cam Smith wrote:Hey Y'all i wanted to get some insight and different ideas about how to strategically plan and access my stand location in hill country. I live in northwest Arkansas and this area is part of the ozark mountain range. So the steepness of the hills can vary a lot from place to place. I understand how thermals and wind work but i just want to get a lot of feedback and experience on how to use the wind and thermals to have a good clean access strategy. I would love tips for hill country but if anyone has suggestions for other different habitat types I'd love to hear those too!

Have you checked the Top Tactical thread? It’s a really good place to start.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24471

I know Hill Country is in there. Pretty sure there’s a post by Bigburner in there, but if not, Search on his username and thermals. It’s amazing... Oh, I had the tab open. :D
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55560
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Cam Smith

Unread postby Cam Smith » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:43 am

Thank you sir!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:55 am

Cam Smith wrote:Thank you sir!

:handgestures-thumbup:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:57 am

What I like to do is take the map, doodle different ways to access and wind scenarios. Ditches/creeks/cuts are your friend. Obviously knowing the piece well and kowing where the deer are during the day is key.

The best tip is to the opposite of what others/yourself have done in the past. Throw the deer a curveball. Private land can be very tough to access correctly bc many have only 1 access point. I struggle w that on a piece iv hunted my whole life. Some spots will just be a tough deal and need to be hunted in the mornings only.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”