What did YOU learn in 2020?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Re: What did YOU learn in 2020?

Unread postby headgear » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:06 am

Tried to be more like Dan and rarely end up where I had planned because the scouting led me to other locations, upped my in-seasons scouting in big ways and it paid off with many more encounters and a poor shot decision on a beauty of an 8. Most of this was a time thing for me too, kids are getting older and a little more independent so I had more time than ever before to put into scouting. Much harder to do when time is limited and you try and squeeze in as many hunts/sits as you can get but it is more mental than anything, give me the right 10-15 sets over the wrong 30-40 sets and I a will be a happy camper and get my chances.

Drich

Unread postby Drich » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:27 am

Life is too short, go hunting.

And.

I have soooooooooooooooooooo much to learn about thermals and hunting the wind.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:14 am

I learned that I need to do ALOT better at picking the tree during scouting then just waiting till hunting season.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:49 am

Stop working so hard and free yourself to hunt!
95 hours a week from Aug - mid Nov.
Sucked!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:56 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Stop working so hard and free yourself to hunt!
Sucked!

I was wondering where you went! Did you get that sorted out for the coming year?
bennymj171

Unread postby bennymj171 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:39 pm

sagDE wrote:I didn’t start using Beast tactics until the end of the season, but what I learned is that I’ve got a lot to learn. Thankfully people on the Beast have been very helpful answering my questions.

Same here, my biggest take away was how much deer bed on the edge of heavy cover and not necessarily deep into it and how much they actually use their eyes when bedded, definitely has made me look at my entrance routes differently
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:35 pm

I learned that even the best of shots (debatable) may not put a deer down quickly. I have not used a fixed blade broadhead for many years and decided I’d give one a try this year. I shot my buck and got a complete passthru and watched him run 40-45 yards and just stand there after about 2-3 minutes he layed down then layed on his side then rolled onto back and took his last breath. I had a front row seat of what took a solid 5 minutes maybe more. When I gutted him I had blown through dead center of his heart. I was stunned it took him that long to die let alone be able to stay on his feet as long as he did. Not sure it matters but he was a big bodied mature buck and I know deer are tough but this one surprised me
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:00 am

isitseasonyet? wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:Stop working so hard and free yourself to hunt!
Sucked!

I was wondering where you went! Did you get that sorted out for the coming year?

Sold 1/2 my company (mold making shop) and went to work for the buyer in Feb 2021...
Still need to sell of injection molding equip & dissolve. Big loss!

I did manage to get 4 weeks vaca...
Still not enough...
Although I can take more w/o pay
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Coalcracker

Unread postby Coalcracker » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:01 pm

Trust post season scouting that reveals historical sign. Keep moving from one historical area to the next. Figure out the timing for the given location.

Hunting thermals can be more effective than wind direction in certain situations. Its about timing the thermal rise or drop. Always be aware of them.
Shoot Straight

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”