Bigwoods DVD

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Re: Bigwoods DVD

Unread postby Cchez » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:28 am

Been waiting patiently for this. Thank you so much Dan! Haven't got to the second video yet, but just after watching the first one, it makes me feel so much more confident that i am on the right track with how i've been approaching all my scouting and hunting in Northeast MN. Will be buying the dvd when its available too!
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:15 pm

Watched both this morning and enjoyed them very much. I don't really hunt big woods but still feel like I learned some useful things that I can apply to my own game. Thanks for putting this out for free Dan :clap:
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:57 pm

The majority of what I hunt is big woods. I’m very excited for this one. Thank You
Persistence is undefeated.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:34 pm

Great information as usual Dan! This information crosses over very well to other terrains.

Thanks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:21 am

Watched video 1. Can’t wait for the rest,
I’m sure I’ll pickup some good tactics. Thank you

I love how you put it. The seclusion, the wild un molested terrain, the 5 yr old buck may only be 115 inches but you don’t care.

You’re talking about my life brother.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:16 am

The tamarack bedding info is spot on, especially in the upper peninsula. I find most of the buck bedding on humps right under the trees in wet areas and they really like the small islands. two large swamps I hunt have consistent buck bedding. No obvious food source for miles other than dogwood, forbes and a clear-cut here and there. Really like bogs too, but don't enjoy them as much as I did 20 years ago. walking long distance in a huge bog is really hard work! The bedding is pretty much the same.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:11 pm

Wow :clap: :clap: :clap:
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:04 am

Definitely good stuff. :handgestures-thumbup:

I still have bad dreams about the one that got away in big woods last year and these videos brought them back. I am somewhat amazed at how many of these things I focused on and did right... except for not nocking an arrow when I stopped to work through some small pines. :roll: But it was a culmination of what everyone on this site has contributed.

I guess I’ll have to see if I can replicate it this year, minus the costly mistake.

Really helpful videos and it still amazes me every time at what a walking deer hunting encyclopedia that Dan is.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:22 am

Great stuff Dan, excited to see the rest! Bigwoods is just kind of like mixing all the other types of bedding together and trying to find those bedding combinations the bucks like the most.

My best tip for bigwoods guys is find a nice big swamp with some jagged transitions and hills close by, mix a little hills with smaller swamps and a big swamp nearby (escape cover) with some logging and I about guarantee a big buck will be using that area at some point during hunting season, the does will be there steady as well. These spots can be hard to find but when you do you might have a dozen great spots to hunt, lots of different bucks will move through the area too and they all have their little bedding quirks so I often find myself hunting the same 100-300 acres but following the sign and moving around a lot. It seems like the hill/swamp/clearcut combo has everything they need and then some, take away one element and the sign and the deer activity seem to drop off to average levels. Even then it feels like scouting random islands, you might have 10 or 12 areas you want to scout that look great but only 2 or 3 will produce consistent sign of mature bucks in the area. Once you find the goods tattoo that spot on your brain forever! I should even re-scout some of these places because the sign can be subtle and spread out but if you spend enough time in an area you start to see the bigger picture.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:29 am

And not to promote someone else, but check out some of Ken Nordbergs stuff as well. He's pretty much exclusively big woods and it helps round out a lot of these concepts related to deer behavior, what they feed on, etc.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:35 am

greenhorndave wrote:Definitely good stuff. :handgestures-thumbup:

I still have bad dreams about the one that got away in big woods last year and these videos brought them back. I am somewhat amazed at how many of these things I focused on and did right... except for not nocking an arrow when I stopped to work through some small pines. :roll: But it was a culmination of what everyone on this site has contributed.

I guess I’ll have to see if I can replicate it this year, minus the costly mistake.

Really helpful videos and it still amazes me every time at what a walking deer hunting encyclopedia that Dan is.

We all seem to have memories etched in our minds of the ones that got away.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:52 am

Tim H wrote:

I was gonna say that. My list is so long I forgot many of them already. :lol:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:57 am

Dewey wrote:
Tim H wrote:

I was gonna say that. My list is so long I forgot many of them already. :lol:

:lol:

3 yards. :cry:
----------

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”