Aggressive deer hunting tatics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Re: Aggressive deer hunting tatics

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:49 pm

same here... good stuff.

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Agressive deer hunting tatics

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:41 am

dan wrote:This past fall I went to a known big buck bedding area to hunt and the target buck was bedded under my tree rather than 50 yards into the thick and I bumped him... I would say it was a soft bump. He did not smell me, he only saw me moving very slow in his direction and thru brush... I figured he was not totally convinced I was danger, but he did run away fairly hard... He ran right to the bedding area where I thought he was going to be in the 1st place... I heard him stop in there so I was very quiet getting the rest of the way to my tree. I waited a while then slowly and quietly set up the stand... At about sun set he rose up from his bed and came right in. But at 10 or 15 yards just behind some brush he either caught some scent pooling or saw me move and boogied... This is another form of bump and dump. They often return to the area you kicked them from the same day you kicked them... It don't work every time, probably only a fraction, but it does work often enough to make it a worthy tactic... If that buck would not have come in that evening, based on his actions I would of expected him to come back in the am..

This fall I had a similar experience, late in the year, end of November, I bumped a target buck bedded right next to my stand too. He was done rutting and he was bedded with a young 8 pointer. It was very windy and I was moving slow over a small brushy hill from them so they did not know what happened, definitely a "soft" bump. They moved only about 80 yards and I just sat there on the ground....after an hour they finally were acting completely calm starting to feed on acorns so I made a gamble - I pulled out my grunt call and made one quiet grunt. The only reason I did that is because I thought I could trick the younger buck, and the older buck would follow him. If the older one had been by himself I probably would not have tried it. Sure enough the younger one over more 20 minutes slowly made his way in, the bigger buck coming along behind him. Thats were my plan fell apart because the younger buck got downwind and busted me just before the big buck got within bow range.

It felt good almost making something out of nothing though.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:57 am

dan wrote:This past fall I went to a known big buck bedding area to hunt and the target buck was bedded under my tree rather than 50 yards into the thick and I bumped him... I would say it was a soft bump. He did not smell me, he only saw me moving very slow in his direction and thru brush... I figured he was not totally convinced I was danger, but he did run away fairly hard... He ran right to the bedding area where I thought he was going to be in the 1st place... I heard him stop in there so I was very quiet getting the rest of the way to my tree. I waited a while then slowly and quietly set up the stand... At about sun set he rose up from his bed and came right in. But at 10 or 15 yards just behind some brush he either caught some scent pooling or saw me move and boogied... This is another form of bump and dump. They often return to the area you kicked them from the same day you kicked them... It don't work every time, probably only a fraction, but it does work often enough to make it a worthy tactic... If that buck would not have come in that evening, based on his actions I would of expected him to come back in the am..

I had a similar thing happen in Indiana a few years back. I was walking into the edge of a bedding area in the morning trying to catch the buck heading back to bed. It was 45 min prior to light. I bumped a deer on the edge, he ran off about 50 yards and snorted one time. I snorted one time back and it was silent. I slowly proceeded in the dark slowly..like a deer. I even stopped and raked leaves as to sound like a buck making a scrape. I set up on the ground because I had a feeling the buck was watching or at least listening and didn't want to risk any unnatural noises. About an hour after shooting light arrived the buck came back into the bedding area offering me a 30 yard shot. Pretty cool experience. Don't know how mature he was but he sported a mid 130s rack.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:49 am

Shot my buck this year after a jumped him, he wasn't bedding where he was suppose to and I jumped him at 35 yards. About two hours later I see him making a couple of scrapes and he headed right for me. Pretty sure he was going to investigate whatever had bumped him. Kind of joked with my buddies that next time we just walk around until we jump a nice buck and setup on him, shoot him when he comes back. I can't see it working too often but after this year I am sure as heck going to give it another shot.
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:15 am

I am constantly on the move. With a gun it's still hunting or tracking. with a bow, I am hunting lots of different spots and constantly chasing sign. One thing I have learned is that spending too much time at one spot is counter productive.
JohnFunn

Unread postby JohnFunn » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:58 pm

Tadmdad wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:

What I have been recently studying on a new chunk of public is bumping them and watching their escape routes. I dont plan on slowing down for a few more years

Uncle Lou....This particular tactic has killed quite a few bucks for our group over the years. I guess we call it a nudge hunt, and it may play out over several hunting seasons. When after a particular buck and we locate his core area, and will try stand setups, we will try rattling and calling, and if all else fails a 2-3 man nudge hunt. By observation, one thing that mature bucks have in their bedding area is a good escape route to escape from predators. We will intentionally bump the buck out of his bed, just to learn his escape route. Later we will post 1-2 hunters on the escape route(s) and bump that buck.
Will slip in the front door, and when he exits the back door, put him on the pole. Mistakes made doing this......You want to bump this buck quietly, if he catches you scent or recognizes your human, he'll bump out of there going 90 mph, and nobody gets a shot. Used best with a crosswind, and I'll usually belly crawl, if you can get him out of his bed and snort at you, not knowing what you are, all the better, at that point everyone has him located.

Great tips! I'll have to get my buddies to belly crawl while I'm sitting next to the back door!!!!!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:13 am

like always, good stuff Maynard :idea:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
CallMeFishmael

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:01 pm

Great bump! I never saw this one and there is some great info here. I have to get more aggressive this year. I need to push the envelope more. But you know what they say, no matter how much you push the envelope, it's still stationery...
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:55 pm

I miss Tad!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:26 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:I miss Tad!

Yea there are probably a dozen guys I wish were still around he is one of them. Wonder where some of the old guard went sometimes.

But you are still here Ed so we are fine :D
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:13 am

JoeRE wrote:

Yea there are probably a dozen guys I wish were still around he is one of them. Wonder where some of the old guard went sometimes.

Thanks boo-boo! You're a darn sweetheart. .. :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:31 pm

JoeRE wrote:

I agree. Love going through all the old timers posts. Tons of great threads that deserve to be bumped up to the top.

Like this one
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:35 am

Jonny wrote:
JoeRE wrote:

I agree. Love going through all the old timers posts. Tons of great threads that deserve to be bumped up to the top.

Like this one

Thanks for the bump!
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:22 pm

hears an aggressive way I hunt does up in the mountains I found a horse shoe shaped ridge that's about 3 miles long in the bowl below is a thick swamp. I walk the whole ridge top and blow every deer down into the swamp. then I slip in and sit on a rock outcropping with my muzzleloader and blast one as they try and sneak out of the swamp in evening I've kill a doe every time I do it.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:18 pm

I don't get to crazy these days, only times I really get aggressive is if I have located a buck in some weirdo spot away from the herd and I know he is gonna relocate for the rut. I will get after him pretty good. Also as the season is coming to a end and I have got to make something happen I will make risky moves.

One I used to enjoy was a midday nudge. Required a partner which was my wife :lol: and she's not as willing to lend a hand very often anymore. Basically, I had a spot or 2 that was a woodlot surrounded by ag fields. The deer bedded on the downwind side of woodlot and also exited there in the eve. Impossible to get into a kill tree under these conditions.

So midday me and wife would drive a truck right to the downwind edge. Get out talk and stroll in, u don't wanna sneak or make them flee, u just wanna nudge them to the other side of the woodlot. Then I would climb in my stand on the downwind edge, wife would exit and drive around to the other side of the woodlot and do the samething. This would nudge the deer right back to there preferred bedding but this time I was waiting in my perch with the wind 100% in my favor getting blown in ag fields. Good times!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”