Aggressive deer hunting tatics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hunter74

Re: Agressive deer hunting tatics

Unread postby Hunter74 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:26 pm

dan wrote:
There is also stacking by others such as opening day of phesant season, duck season, gun season, etc... If you know how the deer will react to this pressure, and where they will bed, sometimes more pressure on an area can make it easier for you to find the big bucks...

How do you learn how the deer will react and where they will go due to pressure? I understand there is never a certain, but how do you confidently pick which bed or area a buck will go to once he's been bumped out of the first one?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:30 pm

Also as far as stacking or doing a soft bump because of the buck having the advantage couldn't you and wouldn't it in some ways be better to go ahead and try to hunt him there then once you've burnt that bridge hunt the next most likely bedding the next day?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:52 pm

Hunter74 wrote:
dan wrote:
There is also stacking by others such as opening day of phesant season, duck season, gun season, etc... If you know how the deer will react to this pressure, and where they will bed, sometimes more pressure on an area can make it easier for you to find the big bucks...

How do you learn how the deer will react and where they will go due to pressure? I understand there is never a certain, but how do you confidently pick which bed or area a buck will go to once he's been bumped out of the first one?

I pick remote bedding areas where people just don't go
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:55 pm

Hunter74 wrote:Also as far as stacking or doing a soft bump because of the buck having the advantage couldn't you and wouldn't it in some ways be better to go ahead and try to hunt him there then once you've burnt that bridge hunt the next most likely bedding the next day?

Yes... But some areas can be nearly impossible to hunt effectively do to lack of trees, thickness, noisy entrance, land borders, etc.
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:19 am

dan wrote:
Hunter74 wrote:
dan wrote:

So basically you have great knowledge of nearly all the bedding in an area and you can make an educated guess of which bed a buck would move to based off remoteness and the security the bed offers?

Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:50 am

i would say that knowing all the prefered bedding would put the odds in your favor
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:10 am

So basically you have great knowledge of nearly all the bedding in an area and you can make an educated guess of which bed a buck would move to based off remoteness and the security the bed offers?

I either know where there are remote beds or over looked areas, or I guess based on past experience .
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:41 am

Good bump, I would like to hear from more bowhunters how they get aggressive.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:03 pm

Hunter74 wrote:
dan wrote:
Hunter74 wrote:
dan wrote:

I either know where there are remote beds or over looked areas, or I guess based on past experience .
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:34 pm

I have shot a few bucks when they stood up in their bed or when they walked a few feet from it (rifle). It really helps to know where the buck bedding is, but I have also shot a buck when he stood up in a new area… I had cut his track midmorning going into what looked like a good buck bedding area. Shooting a buck when he stands up in his bed is pretty aggressive.

I have a friend that has shot several very nice public land bucks by influencing which direction they exit the bed. About an hour and a half before dark he gets upwind of the bedding area (not so close that the buck spooks out) and takes off his hat, opens his jacket and moves quietly back and forth while his scent blows toward buck bedding. He then quietly hooks well around the bedding area and sets up downwind. The buck will typically exit downwind toward the limit of its safety zone where he is waiting to put him down. The buck may hold the bed until after dark, but as I said he has pulled it off several times. That is also pretty aggressive.
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:00 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:I have a friend that has shot several very nice public land bucks by influencing which direction they exit the bed. About an hour and a half before dark he gets upwind of the bedding area (not so close that the buck spooks out) and takes off his hat, opens his jacket and moves quietly back and forth while his scent blows toward buck bedding. He then quietly hooks well around the bedding area and sets up downwind. The buck will typically exit downwind toward the limit of its safety zone where he is waiting to put him down. The buck may hold the bed until after dark, but as I said he has pulled it off several times. That is also pretty aggressive.

Wow. I like that one. I think I remembering Dan saying Andrae would do something similar.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Apex

Unread postby Apex » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:47 pm

dan wrote:Bucks should be bumped about an hour before dark, or just before they normally get to there feet... The reason for this is because a deer that is bumped just before he would normally get up is more likely to just go about his normal night time routine after settling back down. Then at the end of the night he just goes back to the same old bed out of habit... When bumped early in the day they will head to another bedding area, then there is a good chance they will bed in the new spot rather than the spot you bumped them from.

Great post. Makes total sense. On a side note, the 2 biggest bucks I've ever seen when hunting the Midwest, one I jumped bedded 20 yards from the road and the other i jumped bedded 75 yards from the road.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:29 am

I think it's funny that most hunters consider these tactics aggressive, when in reality they require a lot of finesse to execute.

I think tromping around your hunting area a week or two before your hunt, clanging stands around, bumping deer, checking cameras, cutting lanes etc... to be bold and aggressive...

One tactic I have been absolutely enjoying the last couple years is hunting right next to roads, main trails, parking areas and check stations. The 'dumber' the spot seems that I find buck sign the more I enjoy hunting it...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:02 pm

This past fall I went to a known big buck bedding area to hunt and the target buck was bedded under my tree rather than 50 yards into the thick and I bumped him... I would say it was a soft bump. He did not smell me, he only saw me moving very slow in his direction and thru brush... I figured he was not totally convinced I was danger, but he did run away fairly hard... He ran right to the bedding area where I thought he was going to be in the 1st place... I heard him stop in there so I was very quiet getting the rest of the way to my tree. I waited a while then slowly and quietly set up the stand... At about sun set he rose up from his bed and came right in. But at 10 or 15 yards just behind some brush he either caught some scent pooling or saw me move and boogied... This is another form of bump and dump. They often return to the area you kicked them from the same day you kicked them... It don't work every time, probably only a fraction, but it does work often enough to make it a worthy tactic... If that buck would not have come in that evening, based on his actions I would of expected him to come back in the am..
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:07 pm

Great topic guys, I am learning a bunch just reading this thread..............my wheels are turning.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”