Autum Ninja ???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Autumn Ninja

Re: Autum Ninja ???

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:00 am

futuredoc wrote:I've been following along with this thread as well as with the other "interview" threads. As someone who teaches others as part of my job, I can recognize a good teaching job: AN, NICE job on the map my man. Very cool way of breaking this down. Props to you sir.

Kendall

I really appreciate the kind words Kendall!!!

I was diagnosed with extreme dyslexia when I was a kid...so people have trouble reading what I write and it takes me awhile to type what I'm thinking.

Its not all bad though....it helps me big time with problem solving and thinking outside the box. :)

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:13 am

I know what you mean AN, I could read writing long before I could write reading. :D

And yes I'm a bit confused still. In your last example with the west wind and your hunting the red dot, are you hoping the buck will stay at the same elevation and walk the ridge past your stand? Guess what Im saying is I have no clue how deer use the hills. IF there is oaks or a food source up top, would he just pop up on top into the wind, or would he walk the ridge past you trying to scent check the entire ridge before going up? You mentioned he might go down into the bottom, what is down there for him(acorns that have rolled down the steep hill)?
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:32 am

I too like the maps Ninja! 8-)
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:39 am

kenn1320 wrote:In your last example with the west wind and your hunting the red dot, are you hoping the buck will stay at the same elevation and walk the ridge past your stand?
What I found when I scouted the area would determine where I sit up in this situation.
kenn1320 wrote: IF there is oaks or a food source up top, would he just pop up on top into the wind, or would he walk the ridge past you trying to scent check the entire ridge before going up?
In this situation, the hill is very steep...if he where going up top, I think he would go up and around the high side.
kenn1320 wrote: You mentioned he might go down into the bottom, what is down there for him(acorns that have rolled down the steep hill)?

Theres over a 100 oaks per acre in this area. I'll give you a tip though...the oaks on top of the ridges drop about 10 to 14 days before the oaks in the bottoms drop. ;)
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:42 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:I was diagnosed with extreme dyslexia when I was a kid...so people have trouble reading what I write and it takes me awhile to type what I'm thinking.

No trouble here at all. Very interesting and easy to understand, even for me. I've never seen topo's expressed quite that well. Great job.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:47 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:Theres over a 100 oaks per acre in this area. I'll give you a tip though...the oaks on top of the ridges drop about 10 to 14 days before the oaks in the bottoms drop. ;)

I've always heard the oaks up top will drop first. The oaks in the bottoms will hold their acorns longer due to more moisture. I have also heard the bottom oaks will be sweeter than the ridgetop oaks and preffered by the deer.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:34 pm

Autumn Ninja wrote:
Schultzy wrote:Josh?

Steve?

Yes, thats me buddy....this is my knew home, if anyone over there wants map help, they'll have to come to the Beast and get it, LOL!!!

Great stuff!!! AS Always...

I recognized the 3-wheeler pic ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:48 pm

Autumn Ninja wrote:Bucks...well not just bucks but deer in general love to use edges. The woods I hunt are covered in edges....not field edges, water edges or old/new growth timber edges. The edges I'm referring to are in the terrain its self. Edges are above and below the negative terrain marked in yellow.

The high side of this edges (marked in blue) are where bucks prefer to spend most there daylight hours. They usually bed here also...they could be bedded anywhere in the blue but prefer points due to access and variable winds.

Autumn Ninja, over here the ridgetops tend to be open timber. The bottoms are thicker cover most of the time. Does the buck bedding hold true regardless of the cover? Probability wise? I guess what I'm asking is will bucks tend to choose elevation over thick cover for bedding?
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:13 am

Southern Man wrote:
Autumn Ninja wrote:Bucks...well not just bucks but deer in general love to use edges. The woods I hunt are covered in edges....not field edges, water edges or old/new growth timber edges. The edges I'm referring to are in the terrain its self. Edges are above and below the negative terrain marked in yellow.

The high side of this edges (marked in blue) are where bucks prefer to spend most there daylight hours. They usually bed here also...they could be bedded anywhere in the blue but prefer points due to access and variable winds.

Autumn Ninja, over here the ridgetops tend to be open timber. The bottoms are thicker cover most of the time. Does the buck bedding hold true regardless of the cover? Probability wise? I guess what I'm asking is will bucks tend to choose elevation over thick cover for bedding?

Elevation = more safety. More escape routes from danger elevated and better wind detection than in the bottoms.
The only time in hill country I saw lower bedding was in a drought where they bedded lower closer to the water.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:58 pm

I made topo maps early in my career, but back then I just started deer hunting and wasn't studying wind as it relates to topography.

Great thread. I will have to study this a bit and drop some more floaters.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
KYBowhunter89

Unread postby KYBowhunter89 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:21 pm

TTT for this thread. Very, very, digestible information here. Let's keep it goin'
KYBowhunter89

Unread postby KYBowhunter89 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:30 pm

Autumn Ninja wrote:
Southern Man wrote:Ninja, for those of us a little more dense, can you explain in a little more detail, this wind, crow foot thing?

The buck was bedded at the "A" with a south west wind and catching the thermals rising to him....After the wind dies down and it starts to cool off, the thermals revers and start going back down hill. The blue dot is the center of the hub, the blue arrows show the falling thermals.

Look at "A" and "B"....Both are buck bedding areas that are pretty close to each other, but theres about 50 feet in elevation between them. Both beds would be used on a southwest wind. Only "B" would be used on a northwest wind...though "A" offers a good drop in terrain on the southeast side, the hill to the NW blocks the leeward wind.

The bucks in my area bed based on what the terrain and wind are doing. Elevation doesn't play much of a roll...as long as they can get a leeward wind and a rising thermal.

Ninja, in your setup on the buck, what wind did you use?...I would assume a Northeast since you were hunting the Southwest facing slope on that ridge, but if you hunted it on a Southwest wind did you hunt it so that the buck would be bedded on the opposite hill so that he could no see you enter the setup or what?
Nicholas buck

Unread postby Nicholas buck » Tue May 10, 2016 6:16 pm

This thread seems to have a ton of great information from AN, but almost all of the pictures do not show up anymore. Is it possible to add the missing pictures??
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue May 10, 2016 11:40 pm

I see a lot of these guys are no longer around...
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue May 10, 2016 11:55 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:I see a lot of these guys are no longer around...

AN pops up here and there still I think. He never was an every day guy anywhere. Some of the greatest info is buried back there in 2010, 11 threads. Good to see others reading them

Nicholas buck wrote:This thread seems to have a ton of great information from AN, but almost all of the pictures do not show up anymore. Is it possible to add the missing pictures??

Great to see some of these old threads get bumped, this is an awesome one. In regard to the photos, don't know for sure but AN probably deleted them on purpose after a short time like many folks do, just cuts down on the likelihood of them getting misappropriated and floating around the internet. I delete some after awhile too, wish I had gotten rid of some sooner here and there but oh well its not the end of the world. I know it makes old threads harder to read, sorry for that. Its a balance between privacy and sharing something at least for a short time.

I remember reading this in about 2012 and starting to think. I realized this thermal hub concept explained a lot of buck staging behavior I was seeing in the pre-rut. Its not just something mountain deer do. It was something I had been observing, just wasn't sure why. Since then I have been able to capitalize on bucks staging around thermal hub locations several times....the original example AN posted is about as good of an example as a person can have. The set up is definitely tricky in terms of air currents and entry/exit. I would add, big bucks are only going to drop down to those low areas in daylight if the area seems secure. If there is much human intrusion down there at all, mature bucks won't expose themselves to the risk but if the thermal hub is an area that sees very little hunter activity, you can see daylight movement.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”