Recognizing your weakness...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jlh42581
500 Club

Re: Recognizing your weakness...

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:11 pm

Kodiakman wrote:My weaknesses: 1. i am slow to change, I know it. I dont' want to give up on certain things from time to time. 2. Waiting for the perfect perfect shot. 3. Not wanting to kill any little ol' deer. i still have never taken a buck with a bow in over 17 years in the bow stand. Lot of chances on little guys, never took them. Worried I might get the yips when it counts, I need one under my belt. 4. Somemtimes I get lazy and take the eazy way. It's nice to get outside but I know I am wasting my time when I do that. I need to be more rigid and diciplined with my approach to the stand.

Youll get a phd this fall on public where you moved too for sure. The pressure of 250,000 bow hunters will tighten the loop fast.

Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:25 am

I need to trust my instincts more. I'll get to a spot and find hot sign and then stand there and over think which is the right tree to set up in. I used to walk back and forth between the trees looking at them trying to figure out which one would be best. Of course getting my sent on the ground. Several times that I finally set up the deer smelt my scent trail and blew out of there ruining my chances. I don't walk around any more, I just freeze and over think the trees still from time to time.... Is there a cure for this mental condition?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:55 am

In season scouting and spot checking is my weakness for sure, off season I do a lot of scouting but I just don't have a lot of time during the season to get out and check 3-4 bedding areas and pick the best one to hunt. I do try and get in the woods early and have at least one backup plan near by if I am not seeing the sign I want to but many time I just end up hunting an area because I am there and prime time is nearing.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:13 pm

Milk Weed Seed wrote:I need to trust my instincts more. I'll get to a spot and find hot sign and then stand there and over think which is the right tree to set up in. I used to walk back and forth between the trees looking at them trying to figure out which one would be best. Of course getting my sent on the ground. Several times that I finally set up the deer smelt my scent trail and blew out of there ruining my chances. I don't walk around any more, I just freeze and over think the trees still from time to time.... Is there a cure for this mental condition?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Sounds like you got it cured if you're at least standing there over thinking rather than walking around over thinking. The way I look at finding hot sign is I've blown all the deer out on my walking in path so check the wind, check the trees, and set up downwind in the best tree possible as soon as possible. Chances are you've been walking into the wind or a cross wind while scouting so it should all be good.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:20 pm

whitetail007 wrote:my weakness is waiting for the perfect shot that never comes. i dont know how many deer i let walk out of sight that where within easy bow range because i wanted a perfect broadside shot. i think this happened after hitting a deer quarting away with a mechanical head that skipped off a rib. i no longer use mechanical {atleast not forward opening} so i dont know why i still have this fear. i have shot acouple deer quarting and did just fine but sometimes i just wait too long.

I had this issue after a year where I gimped a couple bucks due to poor shot placement. It took me years to overcome that mental block on when to take the shot and I still have an issue of "hugging the crease" during a broad side shot. I fianlly over came the problem when I got onto a couple farms that had way too many does, I shot 13 does in a month and a half and finally I had that control back over my shot. Once your mind is fully 100% in the game you see the shot, react, and that's all you can really ask for.

Personally I don't think wanting a perfect broad side shot is a weakness, that's integrity. It makes me think about the Primos boys and for the past 5 or 7 years they have PREACHED broadside and quartering away only shots on both elk and deer. In the past 2 years I've noticed the guys preaching this taking quartering too shots on film.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:36 am

I need to get better at tracking...I'm starting to get better but I need to utilize track info more in season. Thus, I need more in season scouting!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:13 pm

bump
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:12 am

dan you have been bumping some real good threads lately, Hope I am not the only one just rereading them and generally not commenting on all these.

BEASTs, these are some classics that he has been bumping and great reads. It seems the old ones are not generating the discussions they did at the time, but dan is bumping them for a reason. I am guessing so new members can see some great discussions that have been going on for some time.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:46 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:dan you have been bumping some real good threads lately, Hope I am not the only one just rereading them and generally not commenting on all these.

BEASTs, these are some classics that he has been bumping and great reads. It seems the old ones are not generating the discussions they did at the time, but dan is bumping them for a reason. I am guessing so new members can see some great discussions that have been going on for some time.

Agreed! Believe it or not I am in the middle of reading this forum from start to finish....I am up to page 98 now...and then there is scouting and a few others to start reading old threads on. Its more than a BOOK - it could be organized and published as an ENCYCLOPEDIA :D
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:52 am

I know a few of my "weaknesses" are:
-remaining still on stand. I tend to get figity after several hours on stand
-pushing too hard on the buck Im after
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:19 am

Uncle Lou wrote:dan you have been bumping some real good threads lately, Hope I am not the only one just rereading them and generally not commenting on all these.

This is me! Iv been reading the new bumps and old threads!
Maple_Ridge

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:31 am

I have a bad tendancy to #1...park in the same location....#2 take similar paths/trails to my hunting locations

Big wake up sign for the deer.
1 John 2:15 - read it
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:39 am

Maple_Ridge wrote:I have a bad tendancy to #1...park in the same location....#2 take similar paths/trails to my hunting locationsBig wake up sign for the deer.

This is definitely mine. This off season I am working on clearing some alternate routes to get into locations from dominate and alternate wind directions while taking into account structure so I can hide my siloutte (sp?) visually from the deer. My fear is that these "new" routes will be taken over by deer as their new trails.
Hoyt63

Unread postby Hoyt63 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:13 am

Up til about 10 years ago my biggest weakness was buying every new gadget that came out on the market. I am 50 and have learned the best gadget is no gadget..Do your homework,hunt the right conditions and be as scent free and invisible as you can.IMO.
QDMA Member, Scrape Line Hunters Pro Staff.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:30 pm

Hoyt63 wrote:Up til about 10 years ago my biggest weakness was buying every new gadget that came out on the market. I am 50 and have learned the best gadget is no gadget..Do your homework,hunt the right conditions and be as scent free and invisible as you can.IMO.

I did the gadget thing too, the last couple years I've pretty much ditched the tricks and relied on scouting.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”