Recognizing your weakness...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

Re: Recognizing your weakness...

Unread postby Kraftd » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:12 am

Personally I think I can be too apt to fall into the mindset that if I scouted more, knocked on more doors, shined more, hunted more, etc. then I could be more successful and then accepting that. I hunt pretty hard, and am pretty aggressive when it comes to getting into places, but I need to break myself of settling for the mentality that 3/4 or even 7/8 is good enough on occasion. This board is pretty good motivation to do that, reconciling time is a legitimate issue for me, and it sounds like many others, though.

In the moment shooting and getting a shot off has been a weakness in the past too. That is something I have practiced and have seen improvements in though. My wall would look a lot different if I'd have taken that more seriously years ago. Missed some dandy's I shouldn't have and had too many times in the past where I should have gotten a shot but didn't for many reasons. I regret not shooting more little bucks and does years ago for the experience, but can only look forward at this point. My percentage of getting shots off on deer I want to and connecting continue to improve with experience and acknowledging the issue, so that's nice at least.

JohnnieU

Unread postby JohnnieU » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:26 am

Kraftd wrote:Personally I think I can be too apt to fall into the mindset that if I scouted more, knocked on more doors, shined more, hunted more, etc. then I could be more successful and then accepting that. I hunt pretty hard, and am pretty aggressive when it comes to getting into places, but I need to break myself of settling for the mentality that 3/4 or even 7/8 is good enough on occasion. This board is pretty good motivation to do that, reconciling time is a legitimate issue for me, and it sounds like many others, though.

[glow=red]In the moment shooting and getting a shot off has been a weakness in the past too. That is something I have practiced and have seen improvements in though. My wall would look a lot different if I'd have taken that more seriously years ago. Missed some dandy's I shouldn't have and had too many times in the past where I should have gotten a shot but didn't for many reasons. I regret not shooting more little bucks and does years ago for the experience, but can only look forward at this point. My percentage of getting shots off on deer I want to and connecting continue to improve with experience and acknowledging the issue, so that's nice at least[/glow].

Same for me. I should have taken advantage of all the years there were plenty of deer to get practice actually killing deer. Best advice for beginning hunters is to shoot as many deer as you can at the beginning, don't try to be a trophy hunter until you've killed a pile of deer. EAB years forced me to shoot more deer and learning to shoot with back pressure was the most important thing I've done, It doesn't matter how good you're set-up is if you can't kill them when their in-front of you.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:46 am

I like this thread. Good to see some of the best hunters admitt their weaknesses. I've always heard to practice your strengths and work on your weaknesses. I've been pretty fortunate to shoot some decent bucks by Michigan standards but my biggest weakness is not being aggressive enough when I see a buck buck on a pattern. Always sat back and waited him out. I was always worried about bumping him out of the area. Im not sure what my weaknesses are for the beast hunting method. This will be my first fall trying it. Was mostly a good rut hunter in the past. I've had no trouble finding beds so far but my biggest concern is how to set up on them and putting the puzzle together. I will have fun trying I know that.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Mibowhunter91

Unread postby Mibowhunter91 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:14 pm

I think my biggest problem is not scouting hard enought and then talking myself into " o he must just be bedded over on so and so's property .... And hunting a class of deer that isn't around

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:20 am

Not living close enough to where I hunt limits the amount of time I would like to spend scouting and setting up for the season
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:50 am

Indecisiveness in tree choice

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:38 pm

I think my greatest weakness is not knocking on doors enough or not doing it the right way. I have set out a few times looking for properties with no luck and at the end of the morning wishing I would have used that time to scout other public land. There is some great land close to where I live but most of it is leased up by people with a lot more $ than I can dish out. But I know there has to be a few small properties that get overlooked. I need to get better at gaining access to them. Then again Maybee I'm cheap.. :)

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:19 am

If we are speaking of killing mature bucks, weaknesses I would consider are:

Time-with work and personal life the prep work can take a hit.
Location-the state I live in can be very difficult to wrap a tag around a mature animal.
Money-kinda goes hand in hand with time and work. Need money for gas, equipment, time of work, and without being at work, there is no money :lol:
Understanding thermals and maps. I'm learning but would like to hone this skill.

cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:48 am

Not near aggressive / assertive enough. So much opportunity under my nose and within a short drive and end up thinking myself out of stuff and being stuck in my little "box". Self motivation needs a big kick in the but.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
BHC

Unread postby BHC » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:38 am

Probably that I don't know my biggest weakness. Sitting here thinking I know I don't practice enough shooting in the off season. I do very little late winter/early spring boots on ground scouting. I look more at what I saw in past season/. Seasons, how it lolls from an aerial and topo, and then make correlations. I then use my cameras the next season accordingly. How it's affected my success I'm not really sure. My success has gone up over the past 8 yrs or so. I seem to get to hunt less, but have 1-2 wall hanger encounters/ season. I definitely think knowing my equipment better, and practicing more could've helped me in a few situations.

Things I'm planning to do different. Next yr I plan to hunt mobile in 95% of situations. In areas I or no one else has ever thought about hunting. I will apply dans beast hunting style to what I already know how particular bucks in certain places. And I need to get my bow out and start practicing!

NaturesEcho

Unread postby NaturesEcho » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:24 am

Indecision and impatience. Spend 100's of hours scouting and prepping and once season rolls around, am always thinking I should be sitting somewhere else after awhile with no activity. Makes me move before I should sometimes. There can be such a thing as too many options.

I also set unobtainable standards sometimes. I'll hold out for a caliber of deer that just isn't there unless it wanders through during rutting activity.
-Jason
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:44 pm

Impatience on the stand and a sometimes wandering mind... :roll:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
perchsoup

Unread postby perchsoup » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:36 am

Thinking I am much further along as a big buck hunter than I actually am.
Ol'DanBoone

Unread postby Ol'DanBoone » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:43 pm

Lack of experience. Im lucky though, all i have to do is hunt and it will all just sort its self out. :D

[ Post made via Android ] Image
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:56 pm

Confidence in my scouting!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”