Public Land Late Season

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store


Brummit3
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:41 am
Status: Offline

Public Land Late Season

Postby Brummit3 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:26 pm

Hi all!

I am relatively new to hunting and trying to understand better what is exactly meant from the podcasts, forums, etc. I have been hunting muzzleloader season in Michigan and everything I have read is to find the food sources in the evening. In the public land I hunt there are corn fields that are already harvested. My question is a) will this still provide adequate food for the deer to come out (everything I have read said it should be standing corn) and b) are these corn fields places I should target? I have heard from many sources to not hunt field edges because that is where "everyone will be". If I do not see other people in these areas, would these be good hunting spots? If not what exactly are good food sources to try to find? Any help would be greatly appreciate it!


User avatar
Wlog
500 Club
Posts: 2408
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:28 am
Location: Eastern Shore MD
Status: Offline

Re: Public Land Late Season

Postby Wlog » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:49 pm

Food sources like corn fields on public land will mostly be visited in the dark. Especially this time of year. You can start out checking these kind of food sources for sign (tracks etc.) and work your way back from there. Look for the freshest looking sign you can find and back track them back towards their bedding areas.

In my area I don't spend much time around corn fields on public land other than scouting around the edges for fresh sign. Finding where the deer are bedding is the key. Once you figure that out get as close as you can to that without spooking them.
Brummit3
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:41 am
Status: Offline

Re: Public Land Late Season

Postby Brummit3 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:42 pm

Wlog wrote:Food sources like corn fields on public land will mostly be visited in the dark. Especially this time of year. You can start out checking these kind of food sources for sign (tracks etc.) and work your way back from there. Look for the freshest looking sign you can find and back track them back towards their bedding areas.

In my area I don't spend much time around corn fields on public land other than scouting around the edges for fresh sign. Finding where the deer are bedding is the key. Once you figure that out get as close as you can to that without spooking them.

Awesome! Thank you for the advice.
wolverinebuckman
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:55 pm
Status: Online

Re: Public Land Late Season

Postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:05 pm

I'm in SE Michigan myself. Late archery. I am just learning new tactics, too. Got my first deer this year in October... a 2 1/2 year old 9 point. Been looking for a big boy since. I've moved out of the tree and am going to use some ground tactics I read about in that thread. Haven't seen anything yet, but hoping ground versatility will help me locate them. Good luck and God Bless.
Brummit3
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:41 am
Status: Offline

Re: Public Land Late Season

Postby Brummit3 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:29 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:I'm in SE Michigan myself. Late archery. I am just learning new tactics, too. Got my first deer this year in October... a 2 1/2 year old 9 point. Been looking for a big boy since. I've moved out of the tree and am going to use some ground tactics I read about in that thread. Haven't seen anything yet, but hoping ground versatility will help me locate them. Good luck and God Bless.

Congrats on the buck! Are there any specific ground tactics you are referring to? And are they in this Public Land Hunting subforum? I would be very interested in learning more about ground tactics to locating deer. Thank you and good luck to you this late archery season!
wolverinebuckman
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:55 pm
Status: Online

Re: Public Land Late Season

Postby wolverinebuckman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:50 am

Yes, look in deer hunting, all time best tactical threads for ground hunting... some excellent info!
Brummit3
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:41 am
Status: Offline

Re: Public Land Late Season

Postby Brummit3 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:16 pm

wolverinebuckman wrote:Yes, look in deer hunting, all time best tactical threads for ground hunting... some excellent info!

Awesome thank you! Did you get that buck from the ground then?
wolverinebuckman
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:55 pm
Status: Online

Re: Public Land Late Season

Postby wolverinebuckman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:36 pm

no, I got the buck from the climber back in mid October. However, after my last sit in it last week, I decided the lack of cover and the possible need to be more mobile made the ground seem the better late season sit to me. Pushed in close last night to where I know a big deer was bedding earlier in the season and parked my homemade swamp stool in some tall grass 30 yards from where I was hoping he would exit. No hangable trees near by. He didn't show...
It was nice just snatching up the stool and strolling out at last light, rather than climbing down from a tree and packing everything up.

Return to “Public Land Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: wolverinebuckman and 3 guests