MI PUBLIC REPORT

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

naternate

Re: MI PUBLIC REPORT

Unread postby naternate » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:44 am

stingerflinger wrote:less acorns this year so far for me and many places normally with water are dried up this year thanks to the hot and dry summer. in public hunting seems to have decreased since the opener and that weekend, but i am seeing more reflective tags and ribbons marking spots/trails everyday. had guys running around blasting coyote calls a few days ago lol maybe to scare deer?! for me action seemed to slow a bit during that warm front but im excited to see what this cold weather this week will bring!

I will second the lower water levels. Some canals I would normally be able to cross only with hip boots weren’t even close to the top of my boots. Talked to another guy that hunts a different area of SW public and he said there were a ton more people opening weekend than years past

Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:51 am

braveheart wrote:Is all this public land pressure being seen in Zone 3 Southern Michigan?

I'm in zone 3 and the pressure seems high on the public I drive through. However some lots have been empty (I drive past everyday too and from work). Either overlooked or just absent of deer sign, I'm not sure. Seen a doe and spike crossing the road today in between parking lots. Seems like there are jusy some areas that aren't being hit. That's what I'm eyeballing.
NEMAD

Unread postby NEMAD » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:23 pm

I'm zone 2, on eastern side of state. First weekend of the month I was out on a few first sits, brought a buddy despite me doing all the post season scouting but its always more fun with more muscle for the drag out... errr I mean a friend. Intended destination was occupied by a truck so we moved on to a spot I knew would be hot with an isolated oak stand but since its an off year I figured no worries in burning it. Saw a small group of does on the walk in, really didn't seem bothered by us so it was obvious the pressure hasn't been applied yet in that area. They came back through an hour or so later, probably should have took a poke at one but was hoping on something to follow.. I'll cycle through 7 or 8 other spots for first sits and narrow in on where I really want to dig deeper. Headed to ohio for some public soon here. Pressure seems light but I'm sure that will pick up with the cold front coming through. Good luck beasts!
"A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be."
braveheart

Unread postby braveheart » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:42 pm

Hookslinger wrote:
braveheart wrote:Is all this public land pressure being seen in Zone 3 Southern Michigan?

I'm in zone 3 and the pressure seems high on the public I drive through. However some lots have been empty (I drive past everyday too and from work). Either overlooked or just absent of deer sign, I'm not sure. Seen a doe and spike crossing the road today in between parking lots. Seems like there are jusy some areas that aren't being hit. That's what I'm eyeballing.

Thanks. Good luck this year.
A never ending quest for knowledge and absorption of nature through hunting.
braveheart

Unread postby braveheart » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:17 pm

Kind of off topic, but if any of you local boys need a great 5 hp outboard or know someone who does, check out my ad in the classifieds.
Thanks.
NEMAD

Unread postby NEMAD » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:29 pm

braveheart wrote:Kind of off topic, but if any of you local boys need a great 5 hp outboard or know someone who does, check out my ad in the classifieds.
Thanks.

What classifieds? Sorry, still new here
"A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be."
braveheart

Unread postby braveheart » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:42 pm

NEMAD wrote:
braveheart wrote:Kind of off topic, but if any of you local boys need a great 5 hp outboard or know someone who does, check out my ad in the classifieds.
Thanks.

Go to "Forums" at the top of the page and click on it. Then scroll down until you see
"Free Classifieds" Click on that and you'll see all the stuff that guys are selling.
NEMAD

Unread postby NEMAD » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:06 pm

braveheart wrote:
NEMAD wrote:
Thanks.

Go to "Forums" at the top of the page and click on it. Then scroll down until you see
"Free Classifieds" Click on that and you'll see all the stuff that guys are selling.

Well now I feel silly :roll:, thanks!
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:58 am

Well just did sit #9 in another post season scouted spot- nothing. I have not had eyes on a deer yet from a setup- only driving down the road- And I have moved around on each sit. Getting really discouraging but the battle must continue! Ive come to the conclusion that my spring scouting was all prerut/rut spots exclusively. Absolutely worthless for early season. I have no AG to hunt (all of it I know of in my area is private) so I think that's the issue right now as they are still hitting those areas. Anyone else having issues getting on deer?
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:56 am

Drove around the local public tonight, took 1hr and cars in every lot. We ended up just parking along the road and walked into a point heading out into a swamp. No acorns, no real deer sign. Zone 3.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:09 am

UP report, District 1. good deer numbers, but not seeing a lot of buck sign yet. Hunting pressure not high, but grouse hunters are out. Good bird numbers, and fishing has been excellent. The USFS has allowed wheelers now, in one of my spots. That will ruin it. Saw one E bike out, while scouting. Its going to get going now though.
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:52 am

Been seeing mostly spikes and doe , and a few fawns in the northwest. Took a mature doe opening night. Nothing since . Headed back up this weekend . Scrapes are starting to open up. Tons of acorns everywhere where I hunt. Makes it hard . I’m literally slipping on them!.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:03 am

Wolfofmibu wrote:Been seeing mostly spikes and doe , and a few fawns in the northwest. Took a mature doe opening night. Nothing since . Headed back up this weekend . Scrapes are starting to open up. Tons of acorns everywhere where I hunt. Makes it hard . I’m literally slipping on them!.

Are you seeing white oak acorns or red? no white oak acorns where I'm at- I'm in Central W. Michigan up to the North a bit as well.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:21 pm

First hunt of the season for me this morning, as work hours have my hunting cut way back this season. Found a fresh large scrape in cover while scouting yesterday and figured with the rain overnight it could possibly get hit again this morning. Wrong. Saw a spike and a couple does, but was reminded how much I hate hunting over scrapes. Just never seems to work out like everybody says it should (cough cough nite time only) :lol:
naternate

Unread postby naternate » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:50 pm

Took a 6pt with no brow tines on Oct 18. 200 yrds into a swamp. Scouted my way in to an area I scouted in the spring. Not much sign on the way in and then hit a historic rub that was freshend slightly and a couple small rubs. Best buck sign I have seen this year. It was raining on the way in so I was able to make it in and set up quietly. Buck stood up about 50 yrds away at 6:40pm and came in to 15 yrds for a double lung shot. Buck sign doesn’t seem to be popping up much yet. Only scrapes I have found have been small random ones likely by small bucks

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”