Parking on public land.

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ozzz

Parking on public land.

Unread postby ozzz » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:59 am

Is it legal in Wisconsin to park on the road next to public land and enter the property or do you have to park in the lots?

If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
whitetail007
500 Club

Re: Parking on public land.

Unread postby whitetail007 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:05 am

i hunt a piece of public that does not even have a lot, so my answer would be yes.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:06 am

Depends on the road... Some roads you can park along, and some you can't. I believe the towns decide that... You could check with your local police station.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:07 am

As long as there are no signs stating otherwise I don't think it is a problem. I like to avoid main parking lots so I do this quite often and never had any issues. The only way I would see law enforcement hassling you is if you are not far enough off the road and are parking in a dangerous spot for passing traffic.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:18 am

I can think of more than a couple public places I hunt that have no parking lot, no signs saying "no parking" and no way to get your truck safely off the road...
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:33 am

I kind of thought it would be ok as long as there arent any no parking signs.

When looking at a property it just kind of seems tough sometimes to be limited by parking in the actual lots. Parking on the road could allow you to access better but could also tip other hunters off to what you are up to.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:37 am

There are a couple spots where at one time I parked on the side of the road rather than in a lot, and I regret it, cause now others are parking there using those spots. Sometimes your better off walking or getting dropped off, rather than letting the cat out of the bag.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:39 am

Sometimes SGA's require you to park in the parking lots to limit access so it might not be a bad idea to check with the DNR just to be sure.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:42 am

ozzz wrote:When looking at a property it just kind of seems tough sometimes to be limited by parking in the actual lots. Parking on the road could allow you to access better but could also tip other hunters off to what you are up to.

Many times I park quite a ways away from the location I actually walk in just for this reason. Unless there is snow on the ground it makes it much harder for people to figure out where you are going. Otherwise like Dan just mentioned you could just have somebody drop you off and pick you up so you don't have to leave a vehicle parked anywhere. On public you sometimes have to go to these extremes to keep a good spot a secret.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:11 am

I like getting dropped off. Keeps everyone guessing even the deer. Vehicles are vulnerable to vandalism parked along the road.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:32 am

I used to think by parking in an area you were letting other, hunters know you were hunting there!! Some hunters just don't seem to care or understand that unwritten rule of I was here first go somewhere else. I have parked down the road farther and walked to my area. I feel though that I'm leaving my area open to vehicles and other hunters though because my truck isn't there marking my spot. Make sense???

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:06 am

Public Land Beast wrote:I used to think by parking in an area you were letting other, hunters know you were hunting there!! Some hunters just don't seem to care or understand that unwritten rule of I was here first go somewhere else. I have parked down the road farther and walked to my area. I feel though that I'm leaving my area open to vehicles and other hunters though because my truck isn't there marking my spot. Make sense???

[ Post made via Android ] Image

It works both ways... Some guys think the best spots are where others hunt, some want to be where no one is.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:51 am

It is a really bad idea for me to park next to my hunting areas on heavily pressured public land- as Dan mentioned others may start parking and hunting there that otherwise may not have if I didn't tip them off. Curiosity gets the best of some and they have to know what is going on back there...

I prefer to be dropped off when I have that option. When I can't be dropped off, If I have the option of parking anywhere I won't park near my access trail.

Parking "areas" are not necessarily a bad thing, especially for an evening hunt. I typically show up mid day, well before other hunters and park in the lot. This is to allow me to reach my sometimes very distant hunting area, get set up and let everything calm down. Even if I am only hunting a couple of hundred yards away, I do the same thing to avoid interaction with others. I may see a hunter back in the lot after dark when I return, but they have no real idea of where I was and I'll start waving my machete that looks like a "sword" around if they look like they may want to come over and talk...
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:17 pm

I usually park in the main parking lot and then i walk to where I want to hunt undetected. I don't like tipping off people where i am hunting by parking my vehicle there. I like to park my vehicle in the most easy common places to park. If anyone sees my truck parked and asks where I was hunting and they know the area, I tell them the last place I would actually hunt :mrgreen: . Its none of their business anyways.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Tue May 01, 2012 1:01 pm

Good topic. I am going to give a bit more thought to parking at my public spots. I am guilty of tipping others off to potential good hunting spots.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”