Parking on public land.

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
Spysar
500 Club

Re: Parking on public land.

Unread postby Spysar » Tue May 01, 2012 1:20 pm

I was warned by the police, to NOT park on the road. He said you have to park in the assigned area. I don't know what you do if there is no assigned area. I think it's a case by case situation.

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BJE80

Unread postby BJE80 » Sun May 13, 2012 1:56 pm

Many times all 4 wheels need to be off the pavement to be legal. And sometimes that is not possible. I had a cop waiting for me one time but thankfully no ticket.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:50 pm

Bump

Haven't seen anything similar to this since I've been here(February). Good points mentioned on keeping "your" spots off everyone's radar. Also wanted to add I like looking for parking/road access that is less or inaccessible to 2wd vehicles. Not everyone owns a 4wd vehicle or one better equipped to make it closer to where they wish to hunt. Some of our local "mudding" enthusiasts get the thrill of destroying these access roads when it's wet out. That can detour many hunters from using the area because they can't get their vehicle "close enough" and are unwilling to walk the extra distance. Just look at it as vehicle access/parking and hunting pressure is proportional. There is a bow only wma local here with solid gravel roads and multiple parking areas and it gets pounded. In the next county there is an all legal weapons wma with less than stellar roads/parking and significantly less parking/access areas and the hunter sign is almost non existent.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:45 pm

I have a good fishing buddy who baught a old work van, had it painted and put a so and so electric logo on the side. Parks on the side of the road, throws a orange cone behind him, pulls out his inner tube and fishing pole and heads to the water. He has never had any issues!!!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:49 pm

Parking in an assigned lot is the best bet of course. It would be worth the time to research ahead of time for any iffy parking attempts. Getting towed is not fun and unfortunately i have been there due to a dumb decision to park where i shouldn't have to hunt :doh:
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:25 am

I've got spots I'm thinking of using my bike to ride from the parking area. To near my spot just off the road.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:44 am

Getting dropped off is best, but not always an option for me. I never park right where I'm accessing. Usually it's in the main lot and I hoof it to my spot. Or it's down the road from my access and I hoof it back to my spot.

The same goes with if I shoot something. It's always a covert operation, getting it in the truck without any witnesses! I always close up the tailgate until I'm out of the area!

Being a ninja hunter is the goal! I was never hunting there
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:41 am

I might Park far away then ride my bike to a different area. I don't have someone to drop me off. I hunt mostly alone
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:16 am

Ouch mike, that sounds like a lousy experience.

It almost happened to me and some buddies during Mardi Gras. We saw the truck backing up to our car and RAN and jumped in.

My bad experience hunting was related to the Beast. Broke into. See this new knowledge had me cyberscouting, and just HAD TO go confirm the bed I spotted. It was a 20 minute scout and the bed was THERE! Blew my mind.
The roadside parking is located out of sight of traffic going by. In that quick midday trip someone popped my door open and robbed my truck. That crossed the parking lot off my list of spots.

Another parking consideration is most likely hunters don't walk back the road in. So the 'front' area can be offerlooked if parking is located further back..
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Buckbreath

Unread postby Buckbreath » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:04 pm

A lot of times I take an empty shotgun case and put in on my dash and put my bow case in the back seat covered up. It might deter someone from hunting the same area thinking I'm chasing birds all over I might just be wasting my time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:09 pm

Buckbreath wrote:A lot of times I take an empty shotgun case and put in on my dash and put my bow case in the back seat covered up. It might deter someone from hunting the same area thinking I'm chasing birds all over I might just be wasting my time.

That's funny because I know a guy that always checks peoples vehicles in the lot to see what they are doing. I couldn't be that nosey. If I caught somebody looking in my windows there would be trouble. A visible gun case in the window would work. I know I would likely avoid that spot.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:23 pm

Buckbreath wrote:A lot of times I take an empty shotgun case and put in on my dash and put my bow case in the back seat covered up. It might deter someone from hunting the same area thinking I'm chasing birds all over I might just be wasting my time.

That's a good idea, except now when I see it I know I'm close ;)
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:39 pm

I just put on some PETA & "I HATE HUNTING" bumper stickers! ;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:24 pm

I've talked to my local sherif dept., and depending on where I am going, they mentioned that it's not a bad idea to call in and let them know. He basically said to make sure you are off the road, and visible from both directions. Didn't have an issue with it.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:41 pm

I think it's generally the DNR that decides on access to public lands so I would definately check with them.
Something like that may be hard to find in the regulations so I would also make sure to get the date, time and officer's name when you ask just in case you get stopped by a different officer that believes differently and doesn't know where to find it.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”