Big Woods Public - Your favorite areas

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

publiclandhunter
500 Club

Big Woods Public - Your favorite areas

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:04 pm

I know there are a few of you who hunt the big-woods for whitetails on public ground. In doing so, what types of areas do you find yourself gravitating to most? High ridges, deep swamps, cutovers?
I seem to always be drawn to large expanses of dark swamps. The wetter the better...and I always seem to be crossing some type of waterway - be it a creek, river or lake. I choose these areas due to the challenge it brings and the closeness of the critters during the encounters. I like em close up! As another footnote, even the remote public has some pressure at some time and the same rule holds true there...get where no one has been for the past few years and you have a decent chance that a buck has some age to him in that neck of the woods!
What type of big-woods terrain do you gravitate to that gets your blood pumping and seems to routinely lend itself to your success?

PLH

Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
Dewey

Re: Big Woods Public - Your favorite areas

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:13 pm

Any type of lowland that has water in it seems to produce the largest bucks for me in the northwoods.
I have yet to see any nicer bucks on the high dry ground areas I hunt just lots of other hunters which is another reason I like to hunt swamps instead.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:07 pm

publiclandhunter wrote:...I seem to always be drawn to large expanses of dark swamps. The wetter the better...and I always seem to be crossing some type of waterway - be it a creek...I like em close up!
PLH

I'm right there with you!!!! This probably won't make sense, but when I'm way out in a swamp I feel like I'm hunting more so than ever. It's like hunting other types of habitat X3. It's hard to explain. I love it!
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:30 am

I like a mix of nasty low with some ridge country mixed in to create funnel areas like N. Minn. Even the ridges mixed in are so darn nasty that a few nice ones are always running around.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:07 pm

In the north big woods I like the swamps too...
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:45 pm

I love being around water and hills. So I naturally gravitate to those areas when I hunt....plus, when I get lost I at least have a water source to follow out! I believe there are some swamps where I hunt but I really am not all that good at navigating the swamps. I bought the Swamp Bucks DVD last year and I want to watch a few more times before I plan out some scouting trips in July. My time is precious these days and I want to maximize my efforts each trip.

Where I hunt I almost have a matrix in my mind that I utilize to get onto deer consistently. Mind you, I am the master of arrowing 2.5 year old bucks so I am just talking about deer in general, not big bucks. :) If I can find small pines growing on high ground, 800-1600 yards from a road, then I am in the money. If those pines are growing on high ground that has a saddle close by or actually running through them, then even better. More icing on the cake is if another similar bedding area exists within 400 yards or so...the deer move back and forth, through cover, using the wind to smell anything downwind of those spots, while looking downhill for danger. I have seen it so many times that I have confidence in killing something if I am smart about my entrance.

If any of you have any tips on how to consistently locate swamps on topo/aerial maps I would appreciate any info.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:18 pm

I tend to head way back into the swamps. I do know of a few big ones who live very close to the road though.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:21 am

If any of you have any tips on how to consistently locate swamps on topo/aerial maps I would appreciate any info.

Swamps are clearly marked on Topo maps. Check the legend there is a specific symbol they use for swamps/marshes.

I
believe there are some swamps where I hunt but I really am not all that good at navigating the swamps. I bought the Swamp Bucks DVD last year and I want to watch a few more times

There are big differences between "swamps" and "marshes"
The marsh bucks DVD covers mainly cattail marshes. It should help you, but if you actually hunting swamps there are some other things you should look for.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:59 am

I hear you that swamps are clearly marked, I have seen them on topos before....but on the topo map I use (acme mapper)I cannot seem to find but 1 small swamp labelled on the 45,000 huntable acres I hunt. I am not kidding. I figured there was some topographical features that might indicate the presence of a swamp, regardless if it were marked on a map.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:13 am

When hunting big woods, I try to find the greatest concentration of buck sign in any given area. In hilly terrain I've been scouting according to the Hill Country DVD and in swampy/marshy terrain, according to the Marsh Bucks DVD. Transition lines are key to me. I compare sign with topos and aerials, try to figure out how the deer are working it and set up accordingly. I've seen good sign and activity both high and low, depending on the area.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:56 am

I've seen good sign and activity both high and low, depending on the area.

Good point!
Its really dependent to the terrain... Guess when I heard "big woods public" I envisioned the woods of northern Wisconsin, U.P. and Minnesota... But there are some hilly big public areas in other locales that some of the forum members hunt.
Bottom line is your robbing your self if you don't 1st view a map to see the terrain features before deciding exactly what to scout / hunt.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:01 pm

I definitely focus in on swamps- cedar swamps are my favorite as I've been hunting them since I was a kid. Beaver dams, beaver ponds, streams, lakes and super dense cover are what I call home. Hip boots, machetes and neck compasses are my basic ingredients- everything else is a luxury.

In one of my favorite areas I walked up to a remote beaver pond. Next to the pond I found a three foot by three foot patch of dried mud. The patch contained one big buck track, a moose track and a black bear track- now that's what I'm talking about!
chadhaucke

Unread postby chadhaucke » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:50 pm

Im with you bridge I love beaver ponds also. I also use creek bottoms as much as I can. Im always looking for ways in which to use the wind to my advantage and Ive found beaver ponds and creeks or rivers as my best bet for hunting different wind directions in big woods. Ive also had some pretty good luck on small island edges in big cedar swamps.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:19 pm

Great post Chad- its not enough to just find a good looking area... playing the wind to your advantage in those areas and planning your entrance and exit carefully will go a long way toward achieving success. 8-)
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:23 pm

In the big cedar swamps I scout, I look for elevation breaks. The visibility in the dark swamps is very low in general, so any type of elevation change is a great location for beds. Most topos don't even detect these variations and hardly ever note them on a map for most to see because they can be so subtle. Good footwork in the off-season is key in finding these little hidden gems. I look for several and then connect the dots and then decipher the travel routes to and from these bedding areas. Big tracks and old rubs are a top-off to Mr. Big using the routes to check on the girls.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”