Ask me a tracking question

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Re: Ask me a tracking question

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:38 am

Spysar wrote:That being said, how many of your tracking shots are at running deer, and how many shots at still deer that you saw first?

I have walked up on many deer 20+. Some have run and some have just froze and looked at me for a second. I have found if you mount your weapon in a very smooth and fluid motion, opposed to jerking the weapon up, they will often pause for enough time to get a shot. For me I am over 50% running, but have got many to just pause for the shot.

Has anyone else encountered the same?

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:52 am

Uncle Lou wrote:
Spysar wrote:That being said, how many of your tracking shots are at running deer, and how many shots at still deer that you saw first?

I have walked up on many deer 20+. Some have run and some have just froze and looked at me for a second. I have found if you mount your weapon in a very smooth and fluid motion, opposed to jerking the weapon up, they will often pause for enough time to get a shot. For me I am over 50% running, but have got many to just pause for the shot.

Has anyone else encountered the same?

Lou, I have much better luck getting standing shots while still hunting. I think maybe for a few reasons. Many of the deer that I see are up and moving. I'm always working into the wind. I usually pick days when the ground is quiet and / or there is a lot of wind.
When they first see me they usually pause for a moment before running. I also have learned that if I'm moving that they will sometimes stand and watch but if I stop they bolt! I shot an 8 pointer that was going to let me walk right by. I never stopped walking instead I just slowly raised my gun while moving and stopped only to settle the bead. I'm sure I've walked by many deer that just stayed put and let me walk right by.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:11 am

sounds like you have experienced similar with the pause before the running off. And very cool about noticing one that was watching you walk and you adjusted your methods to do a walking shot. Awesome.

Had a similar experience (and my coolest by far) about 3 seasons back when I was hunting with Patrick the Killer (who was 12 or 13 at the time). We watched a couple deer disappear in tall grass about 300-400yds from our blind. We decided to stalk up to the spot we last saw them and there they were bedded. We got about 20 or 30 yds with rifles in hand (I almost felt guilty), but they just watched hoping we would walk by at very close distance I shouted to Patrick I am going to shoot the doe, get ready for the buck to stand up and shoot him. I don't know if I really said all that, but that is how it went down. I think I stopped for the shot though.

2011 I came upon a group of does at very close range about 30 yds, one fell down and 5 ran off. I shot the one before it fell down, so I am getting better magic and getting them to stand still, but overall I am still over 50%, but I will work on that
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:29 pm

Todd, what are some common generalities you see with buck bedding areas in the big woods? Any common terrain feature or characteristic you see? Thick swamp, marsh, higher knobs in swamp?? Points jutting into swampy creek bottoms?? Just curious if you come across some of the same things when it comes to big bucks? The swamps in my areas are relative flat. There are some knobs here and there. We do have lots of rock outcroppings and oak ridges which are hilly and higher in elevation, but I can't see a big buck bedding in hardwoods even if it looks good on a topo from an elevation standpoint.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:16 pm

Public Land Beast wrote:Todd, what are some common generalities you see with buck bedding areas in the big woods? Any common terrain feature or characteristic you see? Thick swamp, marsh, higher knobs in swamp?? Points jutting into swampy creek bottoms?? Just curious if you come across some of the same things when it comes to big bucks? The swamps in my areas are relative flat. There are some knobs here and there. We do have lots of rock outcroppings and oak ridges which are hilly and higher in elevation, but I can't see a big buck bedding in hardwoods even if it looks good on a topo from an elevation standpoint.

They will bed in all the spots you listed.
Yes they will bed high. I see it often. Most of the time they bed very similar to the way they bed in dans hill country DVD. They like cover on the high side. usually blowdowns. Blowdowns are actually hot spots that nobody ever talks about. There is cover and feed all in one spot.
I have found beds in open hilly country but they will abandon them if ANY pressure is applied. Also it's pretty much impossible to get close enough in the open hardwoods to bow hunt them. Check the edges of the hardwoods where they drop down into thick cover.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:17 pm

They like cover on the high side. usually blowdowns. Blowdowns are actually hot spots that nobody ever talks about.

On private land we often create this by "hinge cutting".
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:22 am

Just found this resource of a thread, thanks for all the info guys!
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:29 pm

Simple question, besides the gun what do you wear and take with you. I know it may sound like a stupid question, but every time I have started on a track I usually sweat to death or have too much crap with me.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:42 pm

DropTyne wrote:Simple question, besides the gun what do you wear and take with you. I know it may sound like a stupid question, but every time I have started on a track I usually sweat to death or have too much crap with me.
Good question! I took a track in December and just about tipped over from heat exhaustion! Way overdressed!!
[ P44.95000,-88.00732ost made via iPad ] Image

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:02 pm

DropTyne wrote:Simple question, besides the gun what do you wear and take with you. I know it may sound like a stupid question, but every time I have started on a track I usually sweat to death or have too much crap with me.

On top:
baseball cap
tee shirt
hunting coat

on bottom:
lightweight long underwear
light wool pants
uninsulated rubber boots

in my pockets:
GPS
knife
compass (2)
camera
5 shells
flashlight
batteries
snacks and sandwich
lighter
magnesium fire starter
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:38 pm

How about losing a track. I have followed a track and had it get so mixed up with other tracks by the time I got out of the group of deer tracks I was doubtful I was following the same track, or was unsure. Did this ever happen to you? By the way, I just started to experiment with tracking two years ago.

DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:46 pm

DropTyne wrote:How about losing a track. I have followed a track and had it get so mixed up with other tracks by the time I got out of the group of deer tracks I was doubtful I was following the same track, or was unsure. Did this ever happen to you? By the way, I just started to experiment with tracking two years ago.

I've lost many tracks. It takes practice to stay with a track. Ya gotta sort it all out.
The fun really begins when they lead you to a bait pile!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:45 pm

bump
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:57 am

In hill country would it be better to start low or high? This is steeper elevation, narrow ridges and narrow valleys.

johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:43 am

What time of year do you think is best for tracking big bucks? I usually feel that the woods is empty in late Nov or Dec muzzy season so thats when I walk. But, I sometimes feel like the good bucks are all dead by then. Clearly this cant be true. Is there a type of terrain a novice should try first? Pine woods, clear cuts, cedar swamp/forest, marsh? Something that has the best chances of staying on or locating big tracks late season is what Im wondering.

BTW, thanks for doing this thread. This REALLY helps!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”