How many yrs did it take you to kill first public land buck?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

How many years to kill 1st public bow buck?

24%
14%
13%
4%
5+
13%
Still havnt killed one
30%

Total votes: 201
brancher147
500 Club

Re: How many yrs did it take you to kill first public land buck?

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:51 am

I didn't start hunting until about 21 years old. My first trip out anywhere was on public big woods, no scouting or really any deer knowledge at all I shot a good 8 pt with a gun. Not knowing where to shoot, I hit high and the buck got away. I think it was just a flesh wound. I have been hooked ever since (and a little obsessed some may say) but haven't killed a public land buck with a bow. In WV, I generally do not hit public land much before gun season, and use it to escape gun pressure on private land and get away from people. I have killed plenty of private land bow bucks. Next year I plan to hit public a little more during bow season...

Some do. Some don't. I just might...
beartruth2

Unread postby beartruth2 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:05 am

Still working on it
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:24 am

Took me 5 years to kill my first public land bow buck I was 17 first buck with the bow to just a little 3 point but I can remember like yesterday first thing I saw was horns :lol:
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:27 am

Shot my first public land buck in 1999. I committed to strictly public land hunting in 1998. Killed a doe in 1998.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:35 pm

I voted never killed a buck with my bow. I have killed a spike I thought was a doe. I tagged it as a buck which is what it was but I don't count a spike as a decent buck.

I have tried and applied beast tactics for the last 3 bow seasons with zero early season success. Hunting acorns or near ag fields seems much more productive during early season. I nor anyone I know (a group of 15-20 hunters) that bow hunts public in my area has killed a decent buck during bow season in the last 4-5 years. I consider a decent buck a 2.5 yr old buck. I missed a decent buck with a bow 2 years ago coming into acorns. Beast tactics work best in my area after the deer get pressured and gun season has them running.

I see tons of does early season and some small dink bucks. I honestly don't even see decent bucks moving during legal shooting hours till holloween. When I do see decent bucks during October it's in a private soybean field behind a big group of does. Usually, muzzleloader opens the first week of November and I have had enough of the deer coming just outside of my bow range and I'm ready to make them pay.

I imagine I could prob make a bow buck happen if I set my mind to it and stuck with the bow the entire season.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:51 pm

my dad would bring me in woods and tell me get up that tree then I would miss every buck that stepped out for first year I did kill a spike and a 4 point with gun. that year I missed another 4 point buck 7 times lol best part is I went to my stand last day of winter bow that buck shed his antlers under my tree. that summer I shot my bow every day waiting for next October. when opening day came I was ready or so I thought. 3 bucks came in together i drew back on closest buck clang darn missed then I proceeded to shoot all my arrows in dirt except one. then I remember like it happened today. I tell myself aim damit! I let that arrow fly and nailed that deer right in the neck not even close to where I wanted it but I had my six point buck. the curse was lifted and I had faith in myself again after that I was a killing machine. between NJ NY and PA I was killing 5 to 10 bucks a year. this was in the 90s then in 2004 I somehow managed to kill a 144in 9 point buck that was 6.5 years old from that day forward I only hunted for big bucks took me a couple years to kill another buck but I've managed to get one good buck the last 8 years now. my goal now is to kill a bigger buck than my first big buck.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Octoberjohn

Unread postby Octoberjohn » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:14 pm

I shot my Iowa buck last fall towards the end of a nine day trip on public. If I wouldn't have messed up on a chip shot I could have got it done on my first morning sit on a much bigger buck. I have never hunted public land here at home in PA.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:08 pm

Up until this past season I was strictly a private land deer hunter. My whole life I was told that public hunting was a joke. People crawling all over the place, a ghost town for deer and a complete waste of time. It was just a place for those that couldn’t afford a lease and had no other place to go. When I found the beast early last year, I came to the consensus that I needed to stop putting so much pressure on my private land pieces. The beast gave me the confidence to take the plunge and give it a whirl. I had several friends that doubted my decision and said my chance of tagging a good buck were very slim. I took the challenge and man was it ever so sweet to put one down my first year. I ended out the season hunting roughly 80 public/ 20 private. I’ll gladly keep “waisting my time” getting on great bucks on land that everyone else feels is a bust.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Wapitiwarrior96

Unread postby Wapitiwarrior96 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:12 pm

I got lucky and killed a good buck the first year I started hunting public in a serious way. (2016). I typically hunt private land but got sick of trying to gain access/keep access. So decided to dive into the public here in SW WI. Hunted my a$$ off that year! I can remember walking the two mile hike back out to the truck on the morning of November 5th after another deer less sit... I was questioning everything I knew about deer hunting and had just about run out of hope and ideas. I had never been so discouraged. To top it off I video all my hunts and was tired of hauling all that extra gear around. I just wanted to kill a deer! So for the evening hunt I decided to leave the camera behind and head into a spot i had hunted in early season, but not since. I got to the parking area and there was two vehicle's there. So I headed to the other end of the piece into an area I'd never been into before. I walked the transition of a swamp until I found some heavy trails coming out. It didn't look like that great of a spot but I was out of options at this point. So after some struggle I got my stand into the only tree that would work and soaking in sweat settled in. thinking to myself what am I doing! About 30 min after getting set up I heard somthing behind me. Looking back to my surprise, it's a decent buck! I slowly got up and in position. stopped him at 25 yards and sent it! Right away I knew it was a liver hit. So we gave him a few hours and my dad and I recoverd him after 150 yrds. He ended up being a nice 130 inch 3 year old! Was an awesome hunt and one I always will remember! Don't ever give up it only takes a minute for everything to change!
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:38 pm

My first public buck with a bow was a studly little 6 pointer around 1987 or 88.
I was 15 years old I think.
I know I didn't have my drivers license yet.
:violence-bowandarrow:
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:46 am

My first public land buck and only public land hunt was pre beast, several years ago to be close. Me and a buddy finally decided to go hunt some public first time i have ever made a trip off my grandfathers old farm. We drove back a old road for about two miles and parked got out and started to get ready. I standing by the door and could here a loud running noises across a powerline we parked in. I whispered at mu buddy somethings coming ! Suddenly i seen a doe cross the road, then i could here a buck coming up her trail, he was back 150 yards or so! He came within 50 yards franticlly search for his doe on the powerline edgeand stopped! BAM!!! I let it rip!! He ran may 60yards and crashed right on the other side of the road! A 15” 7 point buck, for some reason he did not grow a G2 on the left side of his frame. It was my only publicland buck, the fastest hunt i ever had, and the closest to the truck, and shortest drag all roled up in to one hunt. Ill probably remember it till i die, it was back when hunting was fun!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:43 am

none yet.
im on my 4th season
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:52 am

Wapitiwarrior96 wrote:I got lucky and killed a good buck the first year I started hunting public in a serious way. (2016). I typically hunt private land but got sick of trying to gain access/keep access. So decided to dive into the public here in SW WI. Hunted my a$$ off that year! I can remember walking the two mile hike back out to the truck on the morning of November 5th after another deer less sit... I was questioning everything I knew about deer hunting and had just about run out of hope and ideas. I had never been so discouraged. To top it off I video all my hunts and was tired of hauling all that extra gear around. I just wanted to kill a deer! So for the evening hunt I decided to leave the camera behind and head into a spot i had hunted in early season, but not since. I got to the parking area and there was two vehicle's there. So I headed to the other end of the piece into an area I'd never been into before. I walked the transition of a swamp until I found some heavy trails coming out. It didn't look like that great of a spot but I was out of options at this point. So after some struggle I got my stand into the only tree that would work and soaking in sweat settled in. thinking to myself what am I doing! About 30 min after getting set up I heard somthing behind me. Looking back to my surprise, it's a decent buck! I slowly got up and in position. stopped him at 25 yards and sent it! Right away I knew it was a liver hit. So we gave him a few hours and my dad and I recoverd him after 150 yrds. He ended up being a nice 130 inch 3 year old! Was an awesome hunt and one I always will remember! Don't ever give up it only takes a minute for everything to change!

good story that about sums up why I hunt public you just never know and their are no rules if I want to bust into a bedding area nobody can say I cant do that
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
BradC36

Unread postby BradC36 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:14 am

My first/biggest buck I killed with a bow my first season on public. Since I moved out to the sticks and starting hunting bigger woods public I haven't killed a buck with a bow, started seriously hunting mostly public the last 2 seasons.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:52 am

It could have been this year, my first season on public. I'm still half kicking myself that I didn't take the shot, but the other half of me is glad that I didn't.
I have always hunted only private land the last five years that I've been hunting, and I finally got my first deer, a young 9 point, this year on October 21st. 5 days later on the 26th, a buddy and I were hunting a piece of public land... My first-ever public land sit. I turn around to look over my shoulder and see a young 10 point standing about 10 yards away. he was a good size, pretty much the twin of the nine point that I had just shot. this was part of the reason I decided not to shoot him, as I had just finished a pretty busy week of processing and butchering up the other Deer.
I had set it in my mind that I was only going to shoot a big deer that night, and I held true to it, as difficult as it was. Good thing too, even though I do still have a kill tag in my pocket, since October 26th I have learned a tremendous amount in the field that I would not want to give up had I shot that buck and ended my hunting season before November.
Besides, thanks to the DNR extending the season in a few counties around the area, I might just still get one down before the end of January. :pray:
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”