Is Iowa "worth it"

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Haus86

Re: Is Iowa "worth it"

Unread postby Haus86 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:16 am

Spysar wrote:
Stanley wrote:
Zonk54 wrote:Winke's article was very good. I started bow hunting NE Iowa in 2001 and I didn't realize how good I had it for the first 3-4 years. I saw nice bucks all the time unfortunately I made a lot of mistakes as a new bow hunter but it was a great time to learn. The deer hunting is still good there but nothing like it was in the mid 2000's. I'm not sure I would shell out $700 to hunt whitetails. Add in possible taxidermy and travel costs and it would be a bit much for me. I just sent Colorado $600 for an elk tag and that is getting ridiculous.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

I think you are looking at it correctly. Mid 2000s was the peak. Since then more hunters killing does = less bucks. This is a big factor you need numbers to produce quality. Those numbers came from does. When you kill off 35-45 % of your buck producers guess what happens? The next thing is more guys are hunting public ground and there isn't very much public ground in Iowa.

The next thing is outfitters have surfaced and are leasing up a lot of private hunting ground. So that farm you used to get permission to hunt for free has been leased for $2000.00 instead of letting you hunt for free. I stopped on a gravel road and talked to a guy that was hunting NR from North Carolina. He said he paid $700.00 for the license. Gas bill split with another guy was $420.00 per each. Lodging was $675.00 ea. for 9 days. $2000.00 to the outfitter per ea.

He didn't know what his food bill would be. But you have to eat and it is not cheap. His taxidermy bill was $425.00. He killed a 140 inch 10 point. That was the biggest buck out of the four guys. One guy didn't kill a buck. Now I'm thinking if I were a NR I probably would not hunt Iowa or any other out of state hunt if it cost that much. Then again if your independently wealthy go for it. :think:

How did they pay for lodging and an outfitter? Usually outfitters have lodging. And you have to eat no matter where you are, so that doesn't count. It's easy to say all that stuff when you live in Iowa.

I wish Iowa guys would quit whining. You want something to whine about, come hunt the northeast. If it's your hobby and passion, it's worth spending the money. You only live once. And guess who shot all the does? Iowa residents, non res hunters don't come to shoot does...The only people that think Iowa sucks are the residents. I'll be there this fall, I'll take my chances with the crappy hunting. :hand:

Nobody thinks Iowa hunting sucks. It is awesome and that's why I moved here. However, people do think the hunting has declined since the mid 2000's, which you agreed with.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:27 am

Spysar wrote:
Stanley wrote:
Zonk54 wrote:Winke's article was very good. I started bow hunting NE Iowa in 2001 and I didn't realize how good I had it for the first 3-4 years. I saw nice bucks all the time unfortunately I made a lot of mistakes as a new bow hunter but it was a great time to learn. The deer hunting is still good there but nothing like it was in the mid 2000's. I'm not sure I would shell out $700 to hunt whitetails. Add in possible taxidermy and travel costs and it would be a bit much for me. I just sent Colorado $600 for an elk tag and that is getting ridiculous.

I think you are looking at it correctly. Mid 2000s was the peak. Since then more hunters killing does = less bucks. This is a big factor you need numbers to produce quality. Those numbers came from does. When you kill off 35-45 % of your buck producers guess what happens? The next thing is more guys are hunting public ground and there isn't very much public ground in Iowa.

The next thing is outfitters have surfaced and are leasing up a lot of private hunting ground. So that farm you used to get permission to hunt for free has been leased for $2000.00 instead of letting you hunt for free. I stopped on a gravel road and talked to a guy that was hunting NR from North Carolina. He said he paid $700.00 for the license. Gas bill split with another guy was $420.00 per each. Lodging was $675.00 ea. for 9 days. $2000.00 to the outfitter per ea.

He didn't know what his food bill would be. But you have to eat and it is not cheap. His taxidermy bill was $425.00. He killed a 140 inch 10 point. That was the biggest buck out of the four guys. One guy didn't kill a buck. Now I'm thinking if I were a NR I probably would not hunt Iowa or any other out of state hunt if it cost that much. Then again if your independently wealthy go for it. :think:

How did they pay for lodging and an outfitter? Usually outfitters have lodging. And you have to eat no matter where you are, so that doesn't count. It's easy to say all that stuff when you live in Iowa.

I wish Iowa guys would quit whining. You want something to whine about, come hunt the northeast. If it's your hobby and passion, it's worth spending the money. You only live once. And guess who shot all the does? Iowa residents, non res hunters don't come to shoot does...The only people that think Iowa sucks are the residents. I'll be there this fall, I'll take my chances with the crappy hunting. :hand:

Self guided hunt outfitter only provided the ground to hunt. These guys had a choice of staying at a motel or a farm house basement. They chose to stay in the farm house basement. I think the outfitter lined that up but they paid for it.

Not too many Iowa residents are whining about how poor the deer hunting is, unlike the guys from the northeast. ;) They are merely saying it is not as good as it used to be. I don't live in the Northeast by design. If you gave me a couple million dollars I would not move there so I sure am not going to go visit and hunt there. No offense intended just telling it like it is.

If I disliked the hunting where I lived I would relocate (Ive been in 48 of the 50 states), it is just that simple. I don't blame anyone for wanting to hunt deer out of state. That said if you don't live in Iowa you don't have a dog in the fight. And don't bring that rat terrier to a pit bull fight. ;) :lol:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:31 am

Stanley wrote: That said if you don't live in Iowa you don't have a dog in the fight. And don't bring that rat terrier to a pit bull fight. ;) :lol:

Since this thread is about non resident hunters coming to Iowa, I do have a dog in the fight. An over $800 dollar dog in the fight.

And I'd love to leave NY, but that's more expensive than a non res Iowa deer tag. :lol:

Luckily Iowa isn't the only deer destination out there. :mrgreen:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:41 am

Stanley wrote:
Spysar wrote:
Stanley wrote:

Self guided hunt outfitter only provided the ground to hunt. These guys had a choice of staying at a motel or a farm house basement. They chose to stay in the farm house basement. I think the outfitter lined that up but they paid for it.

Not too many Iowa residents are whining about how poor the deer hunting is, unlike the guys from the northeast. ;) They are merely saying it is not as good as it used to be. I don't live in the Northeast by design. If you gave me a couple million dollars I would not move there so I sure am not going to go visit and hunt there. No offense intended just telling it like it is.

If I disliked the hunting where I lived I would relocate (Ive been in 48 of the 50 states), it is just that simple. I don't blame anyone for wanting to hunt deer out of state. That said if you don't live in Iowa you don't have a dog in the fight. And don't bring that rat terrier to a pit bull fight. ;) :lol:

Stan - Your words are like tiny little knives - You've changed ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:11 pm

Well I have decided I am headed to Iowa in the next two years or so, gonna start putting in for points and researching the ground to hunt.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:19 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Stanley wrote:
Spysar wrote:
Stanley wrote:

Stan - Your words are like tiny little knives - You've changed ;)

More like acupuncture. :lol: :lol:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:21 pm

Spysar wrote:
Stanley wrote: That said if you don't live in Iowa you don't have a dog in the fight. And don't bring that rat terrier to a pit bull fight. ;) :lol:

Since this thread is about non resident hunters coming to Iowa, I do have a dog in the fight. An over $800 dollar dog in the fight.

And I'd love to leave NY, but that's more expensive than a non res Iowa deer tag. :lol:

Luckily Iowa isn't the only deer destination out there. :mrgreen:

That is what I'm saying.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:27 pm

Brad wrote:Well I have decided I am headed to Iowa in the next two years or so, gonna start putting in for points and researching the ground to hunt.

The hunting could be better then, than it is now. ;)
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:02 pm

Life is short iowa is good, you have a better chance of big daddy walking by u in day light then any other state in my opinion, every whitetail hunter should try it once and see if the hype is what it's cracked up to be in there own experience.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:33 am

:text-bump:
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:33 am

So... any improvements or change of opinion in 3 years time since this thread was created?
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:57 am

Honestly, after following the Hunting Public guys all season, I am going to put in for some PPs and plan to hunt it in several years. I knew private land there was Mecca but never realized the public was so good. I don't do out of state hunts often and usually stick close to home when I do, but some of what they hunted looks flat out awesome. It even looks familiar, not like those barren wastelands in KS, NE, SD where I think I would feel like I am on a different planet.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:19 am

I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to move to eastern Iowa with me so I don't have to do the whole non resident stuff. I would like to do it once just to see it, and really put a good effort into it.

Ideally I would move to Dubuque. Hunt Iowa and Wisconsin every year, and not too far from minnesota or missouri either. Illinois would be close but I think non resident is pricey as well. Plus living along the mississippi river means great fishing all year long. The hard part is getting the lady to over look the lower salary of crossing the state line. Also a 3 hour drive back to milwaukee which is really nice

To me, that is perfect (at least in my head it is)
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:27 am

Jonny wrote:I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to move to eastern Iowa with me so I don't have to do the whole non resident stuff. I would like to do it once just to see it, and really put a good effort into it.

Ideally I would move to Dubuque. Hunt Iowa and Wisconsin every year, and not too far from minnesota or missouri either. Illinois would be close but I think non resident is pricey as well. Plus living along the mississippi river means great fishing all year long. The hard part is getting the lady to over look the lower salary of crossing the state line. Also a 3 hour drive back to milwaukee which is really nice

To me, that is perfect (at least in my head it is)

You'll quickly find out sooner than later if she will be willing to be a hunting widow... ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:34 am

I had fun in Iowa last year and killed a good buck. If you think you are just going to show up blind without scouting and easily kill a 150” buck your probably wasting your money. Plenty of Beast members tried that over the years and failed to fill their tag. If you read my kill story last year you saw it was far from easy. I put in a huge amount of work before the season and spent over a 100 hours on stand before tagging a buck.

If you put in the work and show up prepared a 130” buck is reasonable. Everybody thinks there are 150”+ bucks behind every tree but that’s definitely not true. If you go there thinking that you will be in for a very disappointing trip. Just like anywhere you will have to be prepared to put in a ton of effort.

That being said I will be there again hopefully in a few years with a good attitude and ready to work hard again. In the meantime I will just keep scouting in the offseason counting down the days till I can hunt there again.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”