Public land weapons and equipment

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Public land weapons and equipment

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:42 am

Over the years, I've encountered a number of weapons and equipment that were picked because of the factors encountered on public land. Maybe the factor was increased or decreased range, the weight of the bow or gun, bullet type, or style of pack. I'd like to continually improve on what I'm using, and am curious as to what you may use or saw others using.

publiclandhunter
500 Club

Re: Public land weapons and equipment

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:17 am

Bridge,

Glad to respond. I believe that you "weed-out" equipment over time and do refine your gear to meet the demands of your hunting. I have several different "gear-packages" I use as listed below...

1. Tracking/still hunting - I wear a Codet single-layer wool outfit in solid hunter green with a thin fleece hunter orange vest as my outer layer. Under armor base layers and a woll-blend button up as a shirt. Wool socks and Lacrosse knee boots (uninsulated green). I wear a leather cartridge belt (I bought from the Benoits) with twenty .30-30 cartridges, Winchester flat-nosed silvertip 170-grain, hanging on it. A Ka-Bar knife 4-inch blade with leather sheath and a wrapped drag-rope hanging off of the belt. I carry a mini-waist pack with an extra compass, GPS unit, TP, handkerchief, space blanket (size of a deck of cards in its package), juice box and a Hershey's chocolate bar or Granola bar. My rifle is a 1947 Winchester Model 94 in .30-30 WCF. Typically I also include a small digital camera and a mini-mag light and a strap-on headlight n matches or lighter. That is it.

Stand Hunting Wilderness - The same basic wool wear and I also bring along a fleece zip-up and a packable silent rain suit (for wind, snow, rain and if I get really cold it helps to cut the wind and retain warmth - yet lightweight) I wear a frame-pack but recently purchased an internal frame Jansport 7800 Big-Bear pack to replace it with (lighter in weight). I bring a better lunch and snacks and also two-extra pairs of socks - one to swap out when I reach the stand and one in the afternoon if the feet start to get cold. The same lights as above, GPS, Compasses, Knife, wet-wipes (biodegradable)an extra drink and video camera n tripod if I can. I switch to a 7mm-08 in a Remington Mountain rifle synthetic/blued, topped with a Nikon compact 2-7 variable scope in 32mm. Still use the lacrosse uninsulateds and if I need a stand I use a lightweight climber or a fixed position with strap-on steps. For gloves I wear the chaep little brown cotton gloves and always bring two-pairs.

Public-woodlot hunts - either my recurve, longbow or compound. Double-bull blind, natural ground blind or portable treestand. I wear fleece camo over long-underwear when it is cold and always wear a fleece vest of some sort to not add too much bulk and restrict movement of my arms. Ballcap, headnet or stocking hat and the same cheapo brown cotton gloves. Knife, two-lights and some rope. maybe a bottle of Scent-away or some baking soda in a zip-loc to dust myself with if I sweat, folding saw if I need to remove a branch.

Every year I end up carrying less...not more. The popular belief is that you need to add gadgets and calls each season or some new gizmos! You will do better with less. Go light and go deep!

Hope this list helps!

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Public land weapons and equipment

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:16 pm

Great post, PLH- Never let it be said you can't get great information and shared tactics on the "H-Beast"!! 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”