Tree Stand Approach

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Patriot

Tree Stand Approach

Unread postby Patriot » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:57 pm

When approaching your tree stand, do you guys keep the wind in your face on the entire approach to your stands?

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: Tree Stand Approach

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:00 pm

I am more worried about it not blowing into the bedding, which means I might approach with wind in my face, crosswind, or just off wind, as long as it isnt blowing directly at the bedding at any point during my approach.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:16 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:I am more worried about it not blowing into the bedding, which means I might approach with wind in my face, crosswind, or just off wind, as long as it isnt blowing directly at the bedding at any point during my approach.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

X2

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:37 pm

That's all you need to know right ^^^ there. At all costs. Even if it makes for a lot longer walk. Hunting isn't always fun....actually a lot of it isn't fun. But those unfun times makes the success so much better.

James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:30 pm

Yup, just keep the scent out their nose when walking in.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:47 pm

When I set up in an area I like to have my scent blowing where no deer will smell me. If I have a buck patterned I may fudge a little but not if I can help it. It is also not always possible, so then I want my scent blowing into the least amount of deer area.

I want my scent blowing into open fields, water is good, roads, deep ditches, rail road tracks, anywhere a deer is not likely to be.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Patriot

Unread postby Patriot » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:38 am

Thanks for the responses.

Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:11 am

My approach to my stands is always dictated by wind direction. Number one rule, is do not let your scent blow into any close bedding areas. Not only will you not see much, but your bedding may get vacated for the rest of the season.
I used to alter my approach to not cross any deer travel routes nearby my stand location. but sometimes that is impossible. I usually do spray my boots down with scent killer right before I cross this trails. During the rut, I will sometimes drag a doe In estrous and a dominant buck rag behind me.
I have killed a couple nice bucks that hit the scent trail.
One came right to me, another I coaxed in with a little subtle grunting to go along with the scent drag he was already sniffing.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:54 am

This topic is a struggle for me in the bigwoods. Essentially where I place my stands, there literally could be bedding in several different directions. So it is possible that I could have a good wind and a bad wind at the same time.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:25 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:This topic is a struggle for me in the bigwoods. Essentially where I place my stands, there literally could be bedding in several different directions. So it is possible that I could have a good wind and a bad wind at the same time.

I also have this problem in the big woods of northern WI. This past year I was able to identify some primary bedding areas and used those as my focus when accessing stands. A challenge I’m running into isn’t that I hunt an area that has two good bedding areas close to each other.

The bucks love cruising between the 2 bedding areas and they are only about 200 yards apart. The challenge is getting in between them without having your scent blow into one of them and there’s only 1 access to this area. Once I have the right wind I’m golden, but I think the key is to try to identify what’s the primary bedding and secondary bedding areas. Easier said than done!
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:29 am

Net Guy wrote:
NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:This topic is a struggle for me in the bigwoods. Essentially where I place my stands, there literally could be bedding in several different directions. So it is possible that I could have a good wind and a bad wind at the same time.

I also have this problem in the big woods of northern WI. This past year I was able to identify some primary bedding areas and used those as my focus when accessing stands. A challenge I’m running into isn’t that I hunt an area that has two good bedding areas close to each other.

The bucks love cruising between the 2 bedding areas and they are only about 200 yards apart. The challenge is getting in between them without having your scent blow into one of them and there’s only 1 access to this area. Once I have the right wind I’m golden, but I think the key is to try to identify what’s the primary bedding and secondary bedding areas. Easier said than done!

It certainly is a challenge to figure out! And even if you happen to get the right wind for the area you are targeting, the big bucks don't always seem to come from where you would expect them to. It's pretty frustrating to me cuz I think I have an idea of where they might be, then they prove me wrong.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:27 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:
Net Guy wrote:

It certainly is a challenge to figure out! And even if you happen to get the right wind for the area you are targeting, the big bucks don't always seem to come from where you would expect them to. It's pretty frustrating to me cuz I think I have an idea of where they might be, then they prove me wrong.

Same here. Just when I think I have them figured out there they make a fool of me. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”