Hay marsh ?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JAK
500 Club

Hay marsh ?

Unread postby JAK » Thu May 18, 2017 2:42 pm

So I've been scouting allot of hay marsh type areas the last month.. using the same method as the cattail marsh methods.. islands brush clumps things like that.. Been finding isolated beds on islands with 2 or 3 bigger trees but no rubs I also have been finding sheds near the area's I found the beds I assume buck bedding. Just curious if any of you guys have hunted hay marsh type stuff and if it seems similar to cattail marsh.

Bonehead

Re: Hay marsh ?

Unread postby Bonehead » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:28 am

I hunt some private land with a hay pasture that doesn’t have cattle on it anymore.
We see bucks coming out and going in to it all the time. Going to scout a couple of lonely trees as soon as I can get back up there.
Bedbug

Unread postby Bedbug » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:08 am

I think I know what you mean by hay marsh. Yeah I do a good bit. I guess I would say it's similar to Cattails. For me there's not as much edge or transitions as cattail marshes. I struggle with entrance often time the perfect beds in them have observation to any approach other than upwind
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:26 am

Pretty much all swampy/wet areas with some cover can be hunted like a marsh. Before the swamp vid came out I just based all the swamps I hunt off the marsh video and it worked just as is should. Doesn't matter the cover because it can work in all swamp types, just find those points, islands, transitions, bowls you name it can work just like marsh hunting. Don't forget those thermals, even in swamps they can play a big role in where you find bedding.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:49 pm

JAK wrote:So I've been scouting allot of hay marsh type areas the last month.. using the same method as the cattail marsh methods.. islands brush clumps things like that.. Been finding isolated beds on islands with 2 or 3 bigger trees but no rubs I also have been finding sheds near the area's I found the beds I assume buck bedding. Just curious if any of you guys have hunted hay marsh type stuff and if it seems similar to cattail marsh.

yea they bed there like cattails but they are very difficult to get close too good for glassing though
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:54 pm

I've been thinking about how to hunt this for a while next season I'm going to try crawling threw the ditches and hunt it from the ground as close as I can get might even try stalking all the way in and shooting into bed western style just need to glass one up and try.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:40 pm

Is this what you're calling hay marsh?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:02 am

tgreeno wrote:Image

Is this what you're calling hay marsh?

Stuff like that I would consider hay marsh. A few spots I've been scouting are just big vast areas of knee high grass but really wet. Just thinking it would be really hard to access any of the islands without being picked off. I'll
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:09 am

This is what I consider hay marsh.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”