Cyber-scouting addiction

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
rfickes87
500 Club

Re: Cyber-scouting addiction

Unread postby rfickes87 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:09 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:I look at google earth and onyx alot.

For farmland google earth is incredible.

I find more beds using onyx topo then google earth.Honestly i like google earth but it usually does not help me find beds that much in hill country.

So many areas that look great on google earth have either 4 wheeler trails through them or are logged since the last picture drive there to scout and are like GRRRR Disappointed. Woods are so different on foot.

Ive had spots on google earth i thought would be incredible bedding go scout it has nothing. Kinda sitting there thinking How on earth is this not a great spot :think:

I have onxmaps too. So can you see 4wheeler trails on onx but not on google? I kinda thought maybe google was more accurate. I definitely like Google's terrain much better than onx. Maybe im using it wrong haha.

"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Blinginpse

Unread postby Blinginpse » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:48 pm

Seeing you guys topos makes me cringe when I scout through all of ours for public.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:04 pm

Im looking regulaly at mytopo and hillmaps. I use the mytopo on my iphone for scouting the field and when i get home i use hillmap on my lap top to remap and take notes and pick out new place to scout. I keep both up to date. I have to say before the beast i never cyber scouted that much at all, but yes i am now a junkie!! :D
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:16 pm

I'm totally addicted. I only started hunting last year, and my first instinct was to check out my local public land using google earth. My best friend that helped get me into hunting and has been hunting the same spots in the woods forever thought I was wasting my time. Ha! It was a great learning experience last season and I found some great areas using google earth, got great trail cam pics and got busted by a nice buck, but doubted whether or not those were actual game trails I could see in the marshes.... and then I found the Beast! So glad I did, because it reinforced that my instincts were correct, gave me the confidence to go deeper and scout smarter, and taught me so much more about cyber scouting. Now, I have to keep my iPad under the sheets at night so the light doesnt keep my fiancé up while I'm online scouting or researching.

I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:17 am

I'm always using map both at work and at home. I'm frequently surprised at things i see on maps that i missed the first time or two i looked at them. In some areas bing maps will show things that others won't
PUBLICbowhunter

Unread postby PUBLICbowhunter » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:47 pm

I work residential construction and that brings me to a good amount of houses tucked out into the country. Of course I always try and ask permission and feel them out, but even when I find out the son and law and uncle all bowhunt the farm I always go home and scout the property with ONXmaps and Google earth. I am a total cyber scout addict with no plans of stopping :lol:
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:20 am

Fins & Tines wrote:My name is Fins, and I am a cyber-scouting junky. I blame The Beast for this. Since turkey season ended, I've done nothing but browse maps and Google Earth for public land spots to scout. I'll never have time to look at all the spots I've marked, but if in get drawn for a quota hunt, I'm already one step ahead.

Anyone else "suffer" from this affliction?

Everyday man!!! IDK how i missed this thread... good topic. I like checking maps every day or night. When i started didnt even know the proper wording or how to properly read a topo. I feel like its a passion at this point, never ending learning and improving every step. Being able to pull up a 7k acre public land and see most of the thing mapped is pretty satisfying. Id really like to pay for 1-2ft contour maps but its just not in the cards at this point for me...
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:21 am

Perfectionitz wrote:I'm totally addicted. I only started hunting last year, and my first instinct was to check out my local public land using google earth. My best friend that helped get me into hunting and has been hunting the same spots in the woods forever thought I was wasting my time. Ha! It was a great learning experience last season and I found some great areas using google earth, got great trail cam pics and got busted by a nice buck, but doubted whether or not those were actual game trails I could see in the marshes.... and then I found the Beast! So glad I did, because it reinforced that my instincts were correct, gave me the confidence to go deeper and scout smarter, and taught me so much more about cyber scouting. Now, I have to keep my iPad under the sheets at night so the light doesnt keep my fiancé up while I'm online scouting or researching.

Great stuff!!! Welcome!
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:40 am

At least a twice a day user, myself. Just can't help it.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:13 am

It is probably(ok definitely) the single activity I spend the most time doing. That might sound bad but it has replaced my tv/web surfing time.

I would say the majority if not all the deer I have shot in recent years were a direct result from cyber scouting.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:16 am

my co-workers think I live a double life as a secret service agent
Octoberjohn

Unread postby Octoberjohn » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:33 am

I won't be back to Iowa until at least 2019 0r 2020, yet I still almost daily look at the aerials from the areas that I plan on going back to.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:58 pm

My co workers think I'm nuts all the cyber scouting and boots on the ground
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:30 am

PK_ wrote:It is probably(ok definitely) the single activity I spend the most time doing. That might sound bad but it has replaced my tv/web surfing time.

I would say the majority if not all the deer I have shot in recent years were a direct result from cyber scouting.

Awesome!!! Great stuff and congrats on your 2016 season PK!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:40 am

Octoberjohn wrote:I won't be back to Iowa until at least 2019 0r 2020, yet I still almost daily look at the aerials from the areas that I plan on going back to.

Boy does that sound familiar. Me too. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”