River Crossing

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

blizzardhunter
500 Club

Re: River Crossing

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:08 am

I would absolutely drive them at an angle but they shouldn't give. That will give you more solid footing. I would cut them plenty long and make sure they are drove in solid. Like I said before 18-24 inches should be good but sometimes you will hit a soft spot. Basically when you think they are driven deep enough, drive them 3 more inches.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:13 pm

I have some similar spots, I just tie a rope to a tree in the offseason and throw it in the creek coil it up and hide it. I walk in with one of the inflatable swimming pool inner tubes in my back pack and blow it up when I get there and float across. The prob comes if u shoot something, but worry bout that later!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:58 am

siwhitetail wrote:Looking for ideas or advice. I'm trying to access some swamp ground by crossing a river. The river is about 30 yards wide and the issue is that the banks are like 5 feet of almost straight up and down mud on each side. It can't be waded. And with the steep banks, a kayak or canoe won't work. My only decent thought has been a zipline, but that would probably break some laws and could be dangerous, not to mention generally difficult to pull off. Any ideas?

I would get yourself one of these....

https://www.facebook.com/viralinusa/vid ... 399131635/
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:50 am

:lol: :lol:
NorthStar wrote:
siwhitetail wrote:Looking for ideas or advice. I'm trying to access some swamp ground by crossing a river. The river is about 30 yards wide and the issue is that the banks are like 5 feet of almost straight up and down mud on each side. It can't be waded. And with the steep banks, a kayak or canoe won't work. My only decent thought has been a zipline, but that would probably break some laws and could be dangerous, not to mention generally difficult to pull off. Any ideas?

I would get yourself one of these....

https://www.facebook.com/viralinusa/vid ... 399131635/
Bonehead

Unread postby Bonehead » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:42 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I have some similar spots, I just tie a rope to a tree in the offseason and throw it in the creek coil it up and hide it. I walk in with one of the inflatable swimming pool inner tubes in my back pack and blow it up when I get there and float across. The prob comes if u shoot something, but worry bout that later!

I have a creek like this I need to cross next season.
So do you wear chest waders so you don’t get your but wet when using the tube?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:45 am

Bonehead wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I have some similar spots, I just tie a rope to a tree in the offseason and throw it in the creek coil it up and hide it. I walk in with one of the inflatable swimming pool inner tubes in my back pack and blow it up when I get there and float across. The prob comes if u shoot something, but worry bout that later!

I have a creek like this I need to cross next season.
So do you wear chest waders so you don’t get your but wet when using the tube?

I don't believe I have ever had to, water temp stays pretty warm here until late December. I just drop trousers throw em on the other side and pull myself across. It's just my but the touches the water. Prob get some free waders from a fisherman who got a hole and just leave em at the creek. Or just put on a pair of rain pants.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:57 pm

The fact you actually thought about ziplining and someone else does an innertube means im at the right forum...awesome stuff glad to find you guys
First Sit

Unread postby First Sit » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:41 am

Before deciding to try and launch off a steep bank are you able to put in anywhere up stream even a mile or so up and also take out somewhere down stream? You could bring a canoe or kayak and a bike. Leave the bike downstream and use it to get back to the car via roads. Lot of states you can float through private land. If your not able to launch upstream then you have a little more work cut out trying to figure out access. Even a 2 mile float to the spot isn't bad depending on current speed.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:16 am

I am following this.

I have a spot like this. And I am 0-2 on attempts to scale without getting wet! My method; pull up broadside to the Bank. Grab onto whatever weeds/grass that I can and try to roll out of the kayak with my upper half and hold onto kayak with legs. Needless to say, I ended up with half my body wet both times and at one point was desperately hanging on to all of my gear, hanging halfway off the Bank and holding kayak with a pinkie :lol: :lol: I managed to not lose anything, but it was not a pleasant hunt!

Good idea blizzard, I will drive some steps into the bank and also pre-tie a rope to a nearby tree so that I can tie off the kayak before I get out and not have to worrry about it floating away.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
tuff4x4

Unread postby tuff4x4 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:34 pm

Not trying to hijack but how close do you guys with canoes or kayaks get to bedded bucks before coming to shore? right at stand site or pull canoe off 100yrds before stand site then walk??
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:28 pm

where do the deer cross they usually know of the best way and it could give you a good ambush spot. I found a cut bank and a hidden sand bar like that. I've also paddled a river in a canoe in summer when the water is low and found all the crossings for hip boots during the season. normally the water will get shallow where its straight and wide.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
mike perry
Facebook: Mike Perry

Unread postby mike perry » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:55 pm

I run into similar banks like this on creeks and rivers around here. I tie a rope around a tree above the creek and have even taken a shovel and made a step or to into the bank. But these are places I can cross with hip or chest waders, I’m sure you could tie and extra rope for your canoe.
Aim small miss small
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:43 am

I have some experience with this.

Small light weight academy aluminum flat bottom boat 12' long and a 10 foot section of extension ladder and a few prices if rope.

Use the trolling motor to position the boat, tie it off then place ladder next to boat tie it off, climb hunt, take down repeat next trip.

Take it down each time nobody finds it and it don't get lost from water rising.

You said it's to deep to wade so that means it's deep enough for a trolling motor.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:14 am

Is it cold by you when you’re hunting? Early season in WI, I just get wet. I’ve been known to go chest deep with my LW set up on my back as I walk in the river. I wear regular tennis shoes, with shorts over light weight base layers. It can feel good in the early season. It sucks walking upstream.
Dave.Bechtel

Unread postby Dave.Bechtel » Thu May 03, 2018 3:37 am

I think the Zip line sounds awesome! I've actually done with with a rope and just swung across the creek.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”