A Walk in the PA Woods

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Truth From The Stand
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TruthFromTheStand/

Re: A Walk in the PA Woods

Unread postby Truth From The Stand » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:06 am

Beastintraining wrote:
Truth From The Stand wrote:Any Beasts around the Montgomery/Bucks Co. area??

I am Chester/MontCo area.

Awesome, we should try to get a beast scout together for the area this winter?

Truth From The Stand Deer Hunting Podcast—http://truthfromthestand.com/

Facebook—https://www.facebook.com/TruthFromTheStand/
nanookodanorth

Unread postby nanookodanorth » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:48 am

I am in Bucks County! Beastday in the woods sounds like a blast!
I'm probably thinking about big bucks right now!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:04 pm

If you all are from PA, would anyone be interested in going deeper into the Penn State studies? Rfickes87 - didnt you reply to me thay youve cyber scouted those areas before?

The reason im asking is bc of the recent podcast w them. I have to recap all of their studies to dive deeper into whats happening. The main thing is tracking down all of the articles they've made. I read somewhere that there are time stamps for the collar pings, I havent seen those yet. Also the only deer I know of to watch the video is one or two... If anyone has links id appreciate it.

My main goal of this was to dive into the depths of what data theyve given us. Things are in-conclusive of coarse but I feel like someone needs to scout these areas. Someone needs to read the sign and figure out a bucks goals bc w the collars we already know when, we need to know why. If anyone has done this already then please point me in the right direction.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:25 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:If you all are from PA, would anyone be interested in going deeper into the Penn State studies? Rfickes87 - didnt you reply to me thay youve cyber scouted those areas before?

The reason im asking is bc of the recent podcast w them. I have to recap all of their studies to dive deeper into whats happening. The main thing is tracking down all of the articles they've made. I read somewhere that there are time stamps for the collar pings, I havent seen those yet. Also the only deer I know of to watch the video is one or two... If anyone has links id appreciate it.

My main goal of this was to dive into the depths of what data theyve given us. Things are in-conclusive of coarse but I feel like someone needs to scout these areas. Someone needs to read the sign and figure out a bucks goals bc w the collars we already know when, we need to know why. If anyone has done this already then please point me in the right direction.

I watched all there videos but one video in particular of a mature buck moving around and I used weather underground to look at the wind history on those days. I noticed a lot of leeward activity.
The Phd running this study mentioned in his podcast with csoult that he had his grad students tried to pattern deer based on wind activity and they couldn't come up with any real results. He seems very open to public comment. I kinda wanted to email him my bedding pictures of bucks and my wind history i have to go with it. As well as topos maps of my beds and be like "hey look guys this is what i have found out." Also maybe email him and invite him to read the articles by Dan and others here on the beast.

They're using all this data and are slowly figuring things out. Dan might not have a PhD but he's lightyears ahead of them. No offense to them of course, i love what they're doing but they just have a long way to go if they dont aren't trying to record wind data and such. Plus also we're mostly in this for hunting mature bucks. They're just a small team studying whitetails for many reasons.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:14 pm

rfickes87 wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:If you all are from PA, would anyone be interested in going deeper into the Penn State studies? Rfickes87 - didnt you reply to me thay youve cyber scouted those areas before?

I watched all there videos but one video in particular of a mature buck moving around and I used weather underground to look at the wind history on those days. I noticed a lot of leeward activity.
The Phd running this study mentioned in his podcast with csoult that he had his grad students tried to pattern deer based on wind activity and they couldn't come up with any real results. He seems very open to public comment. I kinda wanted to email him my bedding pictures of bucks and my wind history i have to go with it. As well as topos maps of my beds and be like "hey look guys this is what i have found out." Also maybe email him and invite him to read the articles by Dan and others here on the beast.

They're using all this data and are slowly figuring things out. Dan might not have a PhD but he's lightyears ahead of them. No offense to them of course, i love what they're doing but they just have a long way to go if they dont aren't trying to record wind data and such. Plus also we're mostly in this for hunting mature bucks. They're just a small team studying whitetails for many reasons.

All great points and i feel the same way. I would to contribute any way possible. If I lived there, if already be in the woods checking stuff out. As far as their views on things you are correct. Aside from not thinking like a hunter, or a beast hunter at that - its not their job to nor should they have to. They are funded to do other things...The confident for sure answers they had I see differently in the woods. My whole point behind asking is bc I love this stuff and to get answers. Though it cannot be answers forced to fit our agenda. Everything is in-conclusive due to only so much data and timing of pings.
I definitely feel like theres something to be found or confirmed. PM me if you want to talk more.
Beastintraining

Unread postby Beastintraining » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:23 am

Truth From The Stand wrote:
Beastintraining wrote:
Truth From The Stand wrote:Any Beasts around the Montgomery/Bucks Co. area??

I am Chester/MontCo area.

Awesome, we should try to get a beast scout together for the area this winter?

im always down for that, maybe find a piece of public between us?
Harvestor
Facebook: www.facebook.com/commongroundbowhunter

Unread postby Harvestor » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:09 pm

I'm a little late to this party but would be down for a SEPA post season scouting session. Lots of public parcels in those wmu's that look promising from aerials and topo.
Truth From The Stand
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TruthFromTheStand/

Unread postby Truth From The Stand » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:56 am

Sounds like we need to organize a scout after late season!
Truth From The Stand Deer Hunting Podcast—http://truthfromthestand.com/

Facebook—https://www.facebook.com/TruthFromTheStand/
Smoke 'n Bucks

Unread postby Smoke 'n Bucks » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:22 pm

IM IN SOUTHERN LANC COUNTY. I HAVE ONLY FOUND THIS SITE AND REALLY LEARNED ABOUT DAN AND HIS TACTICS LAST HUNTING SEASON. I HAVE A BUNCH OF BUDDIES I HAVE GOTTEN INTO ARCHERY HUNTING AND HUNTING IN GENERAL, BUT NONE OF THEM ARE AS SERIOUS AS I AM. I SPEND HOURS AND HOURS LOOKING AT TOPOS AND AREIALS, WATCHING DANS VIDEOS AND PODCASTS. I HAVE LEARNED A LOT OF WHAT I WAS TAUGHT OVER THE YEARS IS DEAD WRONG AND FEEL HALF FOOLISH FOR DOING THAT STUFF, ESPECIALLY WHEN I THOUGHT IT WAS PROBABLY NOT THE BEST IDEAS. MY FRIENDS UNFORTUNATELY CANT GET OUT OF THAT MIND SET. I FEEL BAD FOR THEM HONESTLY.

IF THERE IS THIS MANY OF US HERE IN SEPA AND SURROUNDING AREAS WE SHOULD SEE IF DAN WOULD BE WILLING TO TRAVEL OUT HERE AND GIVE US A IN PERSON SCOUTING WORKSHOP. I KNOW THAT MIGHT BE DREAMING BUT I THINK HE MIGHT ENJOY THE CHALLENGE OF IT. OBVIOUSLY WE WOULD ALL SPLIT THE FEES, BUT FROM HEARING ALL HIS DIFFERENT VIDEOS AND PODCASTS HE ENJOYS THE CHALLENGE OF IT ALL THE MOST. I MEAN THERES PROBABLY NO PLACE IN THE COUNTRY AS POLLUTED WITH HUNTERS AS SEPA. lIKE I SAID POBABLY A DREAM BUT IF NO ONE PUTS IT OUT THERE WE WILL NEVER KNOW.

I AM DOWN FOR A DAY WITH OUT DAN THOU AS WELL.
Bravov2

Unread postby Bravov2 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:10 pm

Elk county here. Hunt 2g, 2h, 2f. Willing to meet up and learn from some experienced at this.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:19 pm

Bravov2 wrote:Elk county here. Hunt 2g, 2h, 2f. Willing to meet up and learn from some experienced at this.

What part of elk if you don't mind me asking? I grew up in elk county
Joe™
Bravov2

Unread postby Bravov2 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:21 pm

Jburg, I hunt up on the McKean/elk border all the way down to the medix/ benezete area.
Tempy

Unread postby Tempy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:06 pm

Outdoor814 wrote:
Bravov2 wrote:Elk county here. Hunt 2g, 2h, 2f. Willing to meet up and learn from some experienced at this.

What part of elk if you don't mind me asking? I grew up in elk county

What part? Just moved to elk county this summer. I love it here!
Bravov2

Unread postby Bravov2 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:51 am

Jburg. You? And it is by far the best part of the state for public land hunting. It would take a lifetime to see it all
Pa outdoorsman

Unread postby Pa outdoorsman » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:18 am

I'm new to the site, I live in Central Pa, just south of State College, I'm always up for a trip to the woods, and I don't mind driving, and I am always up to learn some new scouting/hunting tips.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”