Kentucky public

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Divergent
500 Club

Re: Kentucky public

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:01 pm

thwack16 wrote:
BamaLonewolf24! wrote:
Divergent wrote:
BamaLonewolf24! wrote:Higgins and Henry. Is the best is the state to me been going to there for 4 years now. I'm from Alabama so I go to where he big deer is. And Kentucky is one of the best now days. There was a 190 class killed 2 years ago at Higgins and Henry public land.

I think I'm gonna head to Big Rivers. H&H is right up the road, so it might be worth checking out. Thanks

Big river has tons of deer.

Just an FYI... BR went to a quota archery hunt from Oct 15- Nov 30. It's only open to non-drawees before and after.

I think we are shooting for a September hunt if the stars aline, so we'd be good right?

BamaLonewolf24!

Unread postby BamaLonewolf24! » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:34 pm

Always planted.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:53 am

BamaLonewolf24! wrote:Always planted.

Do they hang pretty tight to the ag? And are the bucks using typical hill country bedding or are they staying down low near the creeks and river that early in the season? We are planning on a scouting trip, but that would give me a starting point.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:33 am

docwaters wrote:
Tufrthnails wrote:LBL must be way down on applications. I put in as a group for the gun weekend and none of my brothers or cousins had any points. Just found out today we drew the permit for area 10.

Word in the Kentucky forums is that the hunting is much better on the TN side. Also, LBL is no longer a bonus buck in KY. We are a one buck state and lots of folks hunted LBL for the additional opportunity.

I hear the same thing. I'm looking forward to getting in there with the lower hunter numbers and see what I can knock down. The guys are all excited because it is toward the end of most of their rut week on the farm and if they haven't tagged a shooter on the farm then everything legal is fair game on the public land. I'm excited because I get to try and figure another new place out and one that supposedly has a lower deer density, which I am pretty good at hunting in FL, but I have yet to see an area of KY that has a low density of deer compared to FL.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:51 pm

When's the rut timing on the western side of Kentucky?
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:40 pm

BA-IV wrote:When's the rut timing on the western side of Kentucky?

On my end the peak date is the 15th - 16th. LBL runs a few days later it seems for some reason or other.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:43 pm

BA-IV wrote:When's the rut timing on the western side of Kentucky?

The rut usally gets cranking about Nov. 5 through the 12. Anytime in that time frame it can get going, but mostly on the later side of that. Mostly depending on how warm it is too. I seen it warm enough a few times where all the activity is at night.
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:07 am

I'm going back to Illinois this year, only my second year of OOS hunting, but I think I'm going to spend the next couple years hitting Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, and Missouri. I know it's not the wisest choice to jump around, and the chances for a mature buck go WAY DOWN, but I think it will be awesome to hit the different states, and see what each one has to offer.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:18 am

BA-IV wrote:I'm going back to Illinois this year, only my second year of OOS hunting, but I think I'm going to spend the next couple years hitting Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, and Missouri. I know it's not the wisest choice to jump around, and the chances for a mature buck go WAY DOWN, but I think it will be awesome to hit the different states, and see what each one has to offer.

I think I'm gonna try to do the same. I see these northern hunters passing up on 140" deer. You'd be well known for killing a 140" deer where I live.
siwhitetail

Unread postby siwhitetail » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:49 am

Big Rivers has gone down hill. It was good the first few years they opened it. Now it's overrun with hunters during the non-draw time. Mature buck numbers have been knocked way down.

Sloughs is actually pretty ignored during bow season. There's good ag in and around it. And there's some thick swampy stuff for the big ones to hide from the average guy.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:54 am

Ive made several scouting trips through a good chunk of big rivers this winter, sign is pretty limited and doesnt look to be best mature buck sign. But that was maybe a 1/3 of the wma i scouted though. Ive also done a couple other wma across my area and there is some good spots, but there good spots that you would think would be over looked and be big buck spots,but scouting through it you wont find any sign,tracks or bedding much to gain enough intel to make a good hunt. My point, if your coming from out of state it would be a huge advantage to have done some prescouts before season due to the amount of ground you would have to cover in short time. I think it would make a big diffrence, or it could take a few years at few days at a time to get in the game my .02 worth
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:50 pm

Does no one hunt any public on the northwestern parts, like along the river between Louisville and Cincinnati?
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:33 am

Tufrthnails wrote:LBL must be way down on applications. I put in as a group for the gun weekend and none of my brothers or cousins had any points. Just found out today we drew the permit for area 10.

Myself, southern man and UofLbowhunter drew for area 3
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:03 am

blizzardhunter wrote:

Myself, southern man and UofLbowhunter drew for area 3

Awesome we will have to trade numbers and have a BBD celebration drink one of the evenings.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:40 am

We are doing a cabin at Wranglers Campground.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”