Oak island in a swamp part 2

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sean55025

Oak island in a swamp part 2

Unread postby Sean55025 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:43 am

What are some of the best ways that other beasts have found to get around in the swamps and cattail marshes with out plowing giant paths for others to pick up on?

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Oak island in a swamp part 2

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:03 am

This thread should help you out.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39679

You have to navigate using the existing trails. Otherwise you're in for a long day!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Sean55025

Unread postby Sean55025 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:04 am

What I ment to ask is what is the easiest way to move around in the cattail marsh not on the islands writhin the marsh.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:05 am

You have to "duck walk" on the existing deer trails to get out there unless the cattails are sparse then you can try blazing a new trail but its a real workout. Duck walking means when you take a step you fold over the cattails on each side of the trail and step on the roots. This way you wont sink in as much.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:03 am

If you're not on a deer trial, there is no easy way. That's what attracts deer and big bucks- low human pressure. The average Joe hunter won't go in there. Marshes and cattails are intimidating if you don't know what you're doing. Sometimes they're intimidating when you know what your doing...especially when you're dragging a deer out of them.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:15 am

Sean55025 wrote:What I ment to ask is what is the easiest way to move around in the cattail marsh not on the islands writhin the marsh.

Really just plan on getting wet and be able to shrug it off and keep going. I went to a workshop over the winter and I think everybody got wet, some more than others :whistle: but you get the idea.

Mental toughness is the name of the game
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:43 am

As Matt said, stay on the deer trails especially the heavy trails. In areas with deeper water you can step on the cattail bulbs which are higher than the beat down trail. You can also grab onto cattails for balance and to pull yourself out of the muck. Beware of taking faint trails off of the main trails if you do not know where they go......I've done that, the trail petered out and and I ended up busting through the cattails with no trail, which is horrible (imagine the "high knee drill" in football with a stand, bow and muck) :lol:

Just take your time and plan on getting wet.
Sean55025

Unread postby Sean55025 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:05 am

If I follow the deer trails then won't I be leaving a ton of ground scent on the water and all the cattails lining the trail, I would think this would stop them dead from even going down that trail for at least a couple days if not longe...?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:21 am

That is why you're only hunting it a couple times a year. By the time he would hit your scent, he'd already be dead.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”