Access by Water

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Re: Access by Water

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:03 am

headgear wrote:
MN_DeerHunter wrote:A canoe is another good route but not as mobile as a smaller kayak. I struggled between both of these options myself earlier this year.

The only real benefit to a kayak is for portages but even then there are some nice light canoes that can do the job. Even in shallow water or narrow spaces I don't see any advantage to the kayak, canoes are only inches wider and can still tackle just about anything a kayak can. A canoe also spreads your weight out over a larger area so the boat will be sitting up higher in the water vs a kayak. There isn't a comparison for hauling gear and deer in and out, plus you can always pack a hunting buddie and his gear in a canoe as well. I have a kayak and I just can't imagine hunting out of that thing when the canoe has so many more advantages.

Sorry I know there are a lot kayak guys here but I just don't like them.

Headgear, I know what you're saying (especially the hauling gear aspect). I really struggled with the canoe vs. kayak decision. If funds were no issue I probably would have gone with one of these:

http://www.goldenhawkcanoes.com/

Or bought both :lol:

MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:05 am

An inflatable kayak made out of "Zodiak" style material would be pretty neat. Not sure if anything like that exists. I looked at some inflatable stuff online and was skeptical of the durability, but I have no experience with them.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:22 am

My smaller kayak setup

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/ZpwSu2P2j-A[BBvideo]
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:57 am

This might work better? https://youtu.be/ZpwSu2P2j-A
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:20 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:Get a kayak with built in bungees on the front and back. I got one from Dunhams Sports for $199 this summer and I can fit my bow and stand on the front and back. Most guys pack in an inflatable raft to haul a deer out. Some pack it on the kayak if its big enough. If you get a sit on top I think you can more easily pack gear onto it vs. a sit in style.

A canoe is another good route but not as mobile as a smaller kayak. I struggled between both of these options myself earlier this year.

I hadn't thought about the inflatable raft, that is a great idea. This site never ceases to provide tips and insight.
I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:28 am

headgear wrote:
MN_DeerHunter wrote:A canoe is another good route but not as mobile as a smaller kayak. I struggled between both of these options myself earlier this year.

The only real benefit to a kayak is for portages but even then there are some nice light canoes that can do the job. Even in shallow water or narrow spaces I don't see any advantage to the kayak, canoes are only inches wider and can still tackle just about anything a kayak can. A canoe also spreads your weight out over a larger area so the boat will be sitting up higher in the water vs a kayak. There isn't a comparison for hauling gear and deer in and out, plus you can always pack a hunting buddie and his gear in a canoe as well. I have a kayak and I just can't imagine hunting out of that thing when the canoe has so many more advantages.

Sorry I know there are a lot kayak guys here but I just don't like them.

I'm definitely with you on that and am a canoe guy through and through. I've been whitewater canoeing since I was 7 and think it's the greatest method of traveling the wilderness/hunting, etc. but, I've got an 18' blue hole that's been in the family since I was 7 and it's pretty unwieldy and makes a ton of noise, especially with the wide sides, long length and aluminum rails. I'll be getting stealth strips for the rails, but the length and width are an issue for some of the tight corners and overgrown brush and trees that I have to deal with.

I don't want to get a new canoe, but that is probably on the agenda in the next year or so.

I'd read or heard on a podcast somewhere about a lightweight carbon fiber canoe that wa sperfect for hunting and about 12' long... anyone have any suggestions?
I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:35 am

hunter_mike wrote:What about an inflatable kayak though? The one I have I can pack it in on my back through thick brush and inflate it right on the creek bank. Allows me to cross a chest deep creek far from any type of canoe landing and a couple hundred yards from any parking area. Buck carcass removal will insanely tough but worth it. The inflatable kayak has some obvious disadvantages to a canoe or larger kayak but it does get a hunter and a weapon into some very tight spots.

There are certainly unique scenarios where waders or a tube or inflatable rafts will be the best tool for the job, for basic beast hunting and hauling gear into most wet places I feel the canoe is just the superior piece of equipment when compared to a kayak.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:57 am

DaveT1963 wrote:Short video of how I use my NuCanoe. I also use a smaller kayak I will have to dig through and see if I can find that video

https://youtu.be/-cZ4nR5XROY?list=PL2JVKutyC32SVl--9zQ4SsLd1C-MN12O2

how are you cable locking it? It doesn't appear to have scupper holes to run the cable through
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:49 am

Glad I saw this thread today as I was going to ask for opinions between a kayak and canoe too. It would be absolutely hysterical if someone were trying to watch me get into my kayak over the last couple of weeks with my stand and bow and pack and bibs all bungee corded up on it. I have gotten myself and my gear wet a couple of times getting in the sit-in kayak. The biggest problem is that I have no where to stand and get in smoothly. The river banks are deeper than my rubber boots and the current is fast. I could wear waders, but would rather not have to add that extra step. So, I was going to do some research into old threads and see if I can find some good modifications to the kayak that can secure my gear a little better and get it higher off the kayak. I think that the sit on kayak might be the ticket tho. I do have a canoe, but is much too big for one guy to handle on this smaller river. May have to look at a smaller canoe.

Anybody have any good mods/gear for a kayak that you couldn't do without?
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:49 am

Chuck B wrote:Glad I saw this thread today as I was going to ask for opinions between a kayak and canoe too. It would be absolutely hysterical if someone were trying to watch me get into my kayak over the last couple of weeks with my stand and bow and pack and bibs all bungee corded up on it. I have gotten myself and my gear wet a couple of times getting in the sit-in kayak. The biggest problem is that I have no where to stand and get in smoothly. The river banks are deeper than my rubber boots and the current is fast. I could wear waders, but would rather not have to add that extra step. So, I was going to do some research into old threads and see if I can find some good modifications to the kayak that can secure my gear a little better and get it higher off the kayak. I think that the sit on kayak might be the ticket tho. I do have a canoe, but is much too big for one guy to handle on this smaller river. May have to look at a smaller canoe.

Anybody have any good mods/gear for a kayak that you couldn't do without?

I'm having the same dilemma....I need something that I can hunt with by myself and carry a deer out in too. I have a kayak I bought from Dick's Sporting goods that weights like 48 lbs and has a capacity of 300 and is 10ft long.. I can handle it easily, it's fairly stable...however no way would I be able to carry a deer out. I'm currently thinking about either a Malibu X-Factor, a NuCanoe Pursuit, or a Sportspal Canoe. I have an Old Town Discovery 158 for two people but thinking about selling it as I just don't use it enough
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:03 am

DaveT1963 wrote:This might work better? https://youtu.be/ZpwSu2P2j-A

So, with your kayak set up here, if you shot a deer, do you have an inflatable raft or something that you would pull behind you that the deer would be in?
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:27 am

This seems to be a decent price for a small canoe that I should be able to pack my stand and sticks, field backpack, and a booner :lol:

https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/emot ... gIaZPD_BwE

Anyone ever used one of these? If so, would you recommend or not?
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:26 am

Chuck B wrote:This seems to be a decent price for a small canoe that I should be able to pack my stand and sticks, field backpack, and a booner :lol:

https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/emot ... gIaZPD_BwE

Anyone ever used one of these? If so, would you recommend or not?

I'm not Dave but the NuCanoe has a weight limit of close to 600lbs. That should be able to haul a deer out depending on your weight. I would stay away from that Canoe you linked to. It may be ok as far as stability and stuff but look at the weight of it...close to 100lbs. I have an Old Town Discovery 158 that can haul out 1100 lbs and it only weighs 87. If you want a solo canoe I'd check out their Discovery 119 or maybe one of the Guide models. I'm currently interested in the Sportspal's...Not cheap by any means but a decent weight capacity and fairly light weight. Or maybe even the Malibu X-factor kayak. They also make a Trio-11 I think it is that is 48lbs and holds 550 lbs.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:10 am

I was also thinking about this earlier today. I used to have a canoe and wish I'd have never sold it. I also once had a kayak and cannot imagine trying to haul gear and a buck out in that thing. It was hard enough just to keep everything reasonably dry while paddling. I have an aluminum bass boat that I've hunted from quite a bit on a local lake, but word got out about how good that hunting was and it's not worth the time and effort anymore.

I was looking at the Old Town 119, but one of those inflatable Sevylor models would be ideal for out of state trips :think:
Not all those who wander are lost...
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:11 am

DaveT1963 wrote:Short video of how I use my NuCanoe. I also use a smaller kayak I will have to dig through and see if I can find that video

https://youtu.be/-cZ4nR5XROY?list=PL2JVKutyC32SVl--9zQ4SsLd1C-MN12O2

Nice setup, Dave. Good ideas
Not all those who wander are lost...

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”