Access by Water

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

checkerfred
500 Club

Re: Access by Water

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:42 pm

jwilkstn wrote:I was also thinking about this earlier today. I used to have a canoe and wish I'd have never sold it. I also once had a kayak and cannot imagine trying to haul gear and a buck out in that thing. It was hard enough just to keep everything reasonably dry while paddling. I have an aluminum bass boat that I've hunted from quite a bit on a local lake, but word got out about how good that hunting was and it's not worth the time and effort anymore.

I was looking at the Old Town 119, but one of those inflatable Sevylor models would be ideal for out of state trips :think:

That's the problem with my kayak right now. It sits so low to the water line that you get wet. My dilemma is I want something for both bigger creeks and/or lake and smaller creeks. A canoe is great for deeper water but they need several inches of water to float. Probably 6-8 or more if loaded. It's also near 16 foot so not ideal for small feeder creeks. My kayak can go right over the top of a stick or log as long as there's an inch or two of water. It's only 10 foot and I can turn it around in really small creeks. I may end up getting a Nucanoe or another kayak for creeks and keeping the canoe for bigger waters.

The inflatables are neat but I'm just not sure about the durability of them in creeks with sticks and rocks.

Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:51 pm

checkerfred wrote:
Chuck B wrote:This seems to be a decent price for a small canoe that I should be able to pack my stand and sticks, field backpack, and a booner :lol:

https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/emot ... gIaZPD_BwE

Anyone ever used one of these? If so, would you recommend or not?

I'm not Dave but the NuCanoe has a weight limit of close to 600lbs. That should be able to haul a deer out depending on your weight. I would stay away from that Canoe you linked to. It may be ok as far as stability and stuff but look at the weight of it...close to 100lbs. I have an Old Town Discovery 158 that can haul out 1100 lbs and it only weighs 87. If you want a solo canoe I'd check out their Discovery 119 or maybe one of the Guide models. I'm currently interested in the Sportspal's...Not cheap by any means but a decent weight capacity and fairly light weight. Or maybe even the Malibu X-factor kayak. They also make a Trio-11 I think it is that is 48lbs and holds 550 lbs.

Thanks for the recommendation. The Discovery 119 does look great. I am a little nervous about the 450 weight limit however. I am 230 lbs. gear and a 200 lb buck put it at 450. However, I am guessing they are being conservative with that number.

The sportspals look great. Might be out of the price range for this year though. That would definitely be a goal tho to get one of those.

Hmmm decisions decisions.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:26 pm

Chuck B wrote:
checkerfred wrote:
Chuck B wrote:This seems to be a decent price for a small canoe that I should be able to pack my stand and sticks, field backpack, and a booner :lol:

https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/emot ... gIaZPD_BwE

Anyone ever used one of these? If so, would you recommend or not?

I'm not Dave but the NuCanoe has a weight limit of close to 600lbs. That should be able to haul a deer out depending on your weight. I would stay away from that Canoe you linked to. It may be ok as far as stability and stuff but look at the weight of it...close to 100lbs. I have an Old Town Discovery 158 that can haul out 1100 lbs and it only weighs 87. If you want a solo canoe I'd check out their Discovery 119 or maybe one of the Guide models. I'm currently interested in the Sportspal's...Not cheap by any means but a decent weight capacity and fairly light weight. Or maybe even the Malibu X-factor kayak. They also make a Trio-11 I think it is that is 48lbs and holds 550 lbs.

Thanks for the recommendation. The Discovery 119 does look great. I am a little nervous about the 450 weight limit however. I am 230 lbs. gear and a 200 lb buck put it at 450. However, I am guessing they are being conservative with that number.

The sportspals look great. Might be out of the price range for this year though. That would definitely be a goal tho to get one of those.

Hmmm decisions decisions.

yeah the 119 is borderline not enough....You might look at their 147 canoe I think it is. It should hold around 8-900 lbs. If you're not portaging it you should be good there. That's my problem I need something I can handle with ease by myself but has a good weight capacity.
mihunter101

Unread postby mihunter101 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:59 pm

I have the Guide 147. Plenty of capacity at 900 pounds. You don't want to portage it. At 80+ pounds it's a bit of a handful. Looking for something lighter myself.
Let's go Brandon!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”